Took C&E last week

Took C&E last week

Postby Sarcasmo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:02 am

Pretty fair exam. I think I passed, but won't know until early May -- by then I hope to have PjM (already scedhuled) and PcM taken.

Study the contracts listed in the 5.0 handbook. Actually read them. To me it seems that 5.0 is much more about reading the actual contracts, the AHPP, the CSI Manual, etc., and much less about the Kaplan/Ballast/other study manuals approach. I have the Ballast 4.0, and the sample questions booklet for each of the old 4.0 sections -- now those seem great to review. But I'd worry much less about buying study manuals.

Also plug into the Ncarb 5.0 discussion forum -- Ncarb representatives answer questions and participate in the dicussions.

Any/all the CA experience you have will help you quite a bit. Test seems very much oriented toward more practical, real-life scenarios.

Let me know of any general questions anyone might care to ask about C&E.
Sarcasmo

Re: Took C&E last week

Postby GoCoogs » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Considering some of the overlap in study material, do you think it would be wise to study for the C&E and PM simultaneously?
GoCoogs

Re: Took C&E last week

Postby Sarcasmo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:20 pm

Personally, I studied for only C&E.

But, I take it you mean studying for PjM and PcM, along with C&E, all at once. That can be a great idea.

Some on the Ncarb Community have done that exact approach, and I think it can work very well as a way to knock out three related exams.

That's the upside. The downside: a fairly staggering amount of reading for the three-at-once approach. As in, essentially all 1200 pages of the AHPP for starters -- and there are many other Ncarb recommended books to study for the three exams.

For me, I just didn't want to read that much all at once. Right now I'm studying for PjM -- about 500 pages of AHPP, plus the recommended book: Professional Practice: A Guide to Turning Designs
into Buildings by Paul Segal, FAIA
Sarcasmo

Return to CE - Construction & Evaluation