Passing or testing over 40?

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby nickedemus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:41 am

Sarcasmo wrote:Thanks, Nickedemus.
No more studying -- that is still sinking in...
Woo HOOOO ! ! ! !

I understand. It's still sinking in for me, little by little, like a time-release medication (literally! haha). It's so darned pleasant :-D
nickedemus

Postby Sarcasmo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:45 am

nickedemus -- I'm enjoying the "time-release medication" effects as well... I've also been releasing quite a bit of craft brew into my system as well...
How long since you passed it? 4.0? or 5.0?
Sarcasmo

Postby nickedemus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:02 am

Haha. I've been releasing some nice, strong wine into my system.

I took the 4.0 version. I passed my final exam in April, but I don't think I officially started relaxing until July, when I received my actual license card and number. I'm still waiting for the stamp & certificate. But that's small potatoes, in my opinion.

Even before I started studying for the test--even in architecture school and during IDP--I knew the exams were looming in the distance. It was actually like a weight on my shoulders. Stress. But I didn't become aware that I was carrying that weight until I felt the release.
nickedemus

Postby fliparch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Just turned 49 Dec. 18, 2017 and passed my last exam which was SPD Dec. 20, 2017. Great birthday and Xmas gift. I also started under 3.1 which was ages ago. I got married and had two kids since. I believe people are in similar boats...life goes on and ARE is not end all be all for some but I just had to finish for my own sanity, professional and more personal reasons. Good luck!
fliparch

Postby Calan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:53 pm

I passed my final exam on January 13th - two months + 1 day prior to my 51st birthday.

Since I don’t have my professional degree, I had long ago resigned myself to not being licensed. Then, about ten years ago, someone informed me that the state I work in (Maryland) allows for experience in lieu of a degree. I checked it out, spent some time compiling my experience for the state, started my NCARB record for the IDP, and received my authorization to test about five years ago. I took four exams back in 2013, passing three but failing the structural on the vignette (this was right around that gap between the death of the AREforum and ARE Coach, so there was not much available then to verify what the vignette was actually looking for). That fail plus a few other things (big projects with tight schedules starting at work, taking over for a project manager who retired, etc.) put the whole testing thing on the back burner. Then two things happened in November: I realized that my rolling clock would expire in six months, and my company asked me to finish my exams and get registered by February if possible so that I could be listed on a proposal for a contract that requires the key staff to be registered in Maryland. So I transitioned to 5.0, and finished the final three exams (PA, PPD, and PDD) in four weeks. Now I’m just waiting for NCARB to send my record to the state to get my registration number.
Calan

Postby AJD » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Way to go Calen! That worked out well for you. Congratulations!
I turn fifty today and just received my final pass a few days ago. Forty (or fifty, or fifty one) is just a number. ;)
AJD

Postby Calan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:46 pm

AJD wrote:Way to go Calen! That worked out well for you. Congratulations!
I turn fifty today and just received my final pass a few days ago. Forty (or fifty, or fifty one) is just a number. ;)

Thanks! And congratulations! And happy birthday!
Calan

Postby AJD » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you Callen! I can’t think of more welcome birthday present! :)
AJD

Postby nickedemus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:41 am

Calan wrote:Then two things happened in November: I realized that my rolling clock would expire in six months, and my company asked me to finish my exams and get registered by February if possible so that I could be listed on a proposal for a contract that requires the key staff to be registered in Maryland. So I transitioned to 5.0, and finished the final three exams (PA, PPD, and PDD) in four weeks.

Nice work, Calan. Show those tests who's boss!
nickedemus

Postby Sarcasmo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Calan and AJD -- that's great -- well done!

I finished a couple months ago or so -- it really is a crazy good feeling.

So, why did you two wait so long...? (JK -- full sarcasm intended from me, the apparent king of procrastination!)

Seriously, well done.
Sarcasmo

Postby cabara01 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 pm

I just finished my last exam on 1/8/18 and will turn 45 next month. I actually started taking exams in 2000, passed 3, failed 2 then had kids and never went back. Didn't think I really needed to get my license and thought I had all the time in the world (originally they said they expired in some crazy year like 2099 or something like that!!). Anyway, they then started the rolling clock, I had decided I was never going to need my license so I let my exams lapse. Fast forward to May 2017 and I was looking to be more marketable for advancement and made the decision to take the ARE exams. I let everything (and I mean everything) go to sh!t while I studied my A$$ off. My goal was to finish the ARE by end of 2017. Took first exam June 2017 passed 5 then failed 2 then scheduled the two retakes 12/23 and 12/30. Prometrics foiled my plan by cancelling my exam the day before on 12/22/17! There was no way to reschedule before the end of the year. So I scheduled it for 1/8/18 and thankfully I passed! Whew! Now I have 7 months of cleaning, organizing, taxes, etc... to do!!! LOL!
cabara01

Postby AJD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:50 pm

Thank you very much Sarcasmo! Congratulations to you as well! It is a great feeling, no? So nice to be able to have all that behind us. :)
AJD

Postby Sarcasmo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks, AJD --

Cabara01 -- great job finishing! Hell, only 45? You still have a crazy long career in front of you!
Sarcasmo

Postby gtodohoo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:09 pm

Scarlett wrote:All,

While I am focused on trying to finish these exams by the summer- I do get a little dismayed that I think I retained a lot more with less effort when younger and passed 3.1 exams. Perhaps my responsibilities and distractions got greater, but I fear my memorization abilities have declined.

I'm 40...just wondering if any other test takers are 40+...or passed when 40+...just looking for some inspiration it can be done when older.

Thanks!

I am 39, I haven't passed any division, I have tried 3 times on SPD, 4 times CDS, 1 time of PPP, no luck at all, I will try the 5.0, hmm, i think don't feel discourage, I am not a good test taker, ARE now is more like a commiment to myself. My junior staff passed all the divisions in 7 months and it becomes a joke and I laughed with them. English is not my first language, when I read the question it takes much longer time for me to understand what it is really asking. but i think if this is really what you want, then I should stick to it, so do you. this career is being insane, since the day I got into arch school, stay up late every night for deadline, putting overtime, earning scratch amount of money but thinking about how billionnaire live everyday, paying hundreds of dollars for study materials, paying hundreds of dollars for exams, and paying hundreds of dollars to maintain your credential, but being laid off when the economy down turn hits... I think this only will get worse in the future if the AI getting mature. However, I will do these tests, as I said it's a slef achievement more than the other things. I hope you will do that too.
gtodohoo

Postby wyoo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:34 pm

This article surprises me.
Age 40 is still young. Isn't it?
I'm over 40. well..I realized I became over 40. Cannot even remember what I did for past 10 years of my 30's. It feels like it just disappeared. And I left alone with a age labled as "over 40".

Anyways,
Studying/taking exam has nothing to do with age.
I have taken my last 3 exams, BS, BDCS and SS, one per month - April, May and June- and got all passed and completed.
We can do it.
We can do better with our experiences.

Yes?
wyoo

Postby ozzie62 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:59 pm

I first posted on this thread in 2014 with two tests left. With much relief I passed my last ARE exam with one month to spare in November of 2015. Since then I've completed my IDP, am starting to study for the CSE, and hope to be passed and licensed by the end of the year. I'm going to turn 56 next week.

It doesn't matter how old you are. You can do this.
ozzie62

Postby Sarcasmo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:59 am

Just bumping.... I still love this thread!
Sarcasmo

Postby LetsGO » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:17 am

Coach wrote:I passed 8 of 9 the first time time I tested when I was 29. For one reason or another, I didn't finish until one month after my 50th birthday.

Thanks for sharing Coach. I can do this. Its NOT TOO LATE to work on my CSE! Its been such a long time since I passed the AREs.... I have a difficult time grasping the scope of CSE compared to all the AREs which seem to me much more understandably defined. I will try again this year!
LetsGO

Postby Coach » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:18 am

You can do it!
Coach
Site Admin

Previous

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION