Passing or testing over 40?

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby iDefy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am

PEARLDRUMS wrote:Hey Everyone... I just turned 50 and passed SS 2 weeks ago. I only have BDCS... and then I am finally finished and can start all the "fun stuff" I have been putting off because of these exam.
If I can pass anyone can pass. Just keep pushing.

Good Luck Everyone!!!!

'Will be waiting for you on the other side PEARLDRUMS. Yes, grass is greener here (compared to the drought on the ARE side) concentrate on the vignettes. This is where I say that they want to beat the esthetics out of you. Your solution of the stair would be ugly, but you'll pass. You know the Q&A part already.
iDefy

Postby gbalaka » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Scarlett wrote:I'm so happy this thread I started 4 years ago has gotten so many replies and got so many to contribute their inspiring stories. I'm embarassed to say I still have one exam left SS and pushing 44. I took it for the first time a year ago, failed, and got discouraged. I lost 6 passed exams with transition to 4.0, but picked myself over and started over by passing 6 more in 4.0 with only SS to go. I'm tired of taking them.

I also was in workplaces where being licensed was never required or strongly encouraged, as I was also told there would be no increase in pay, no room for associates/partners, license was just a piece of paper, etc. I regret pushing it to the backburner as long as I did. I was so naive. With age comes more and more responsibilities, caring for children, caring for parents, more responsibility at work, weekends become working on the house/yard/driving children around...etc. I long for the nights I had me time to study without interruption. The older I've gotten the harder it is to carve out that dedicated 2 hours/day.

Thank you all for your inspiring stories. I'm catching up on the thread. Just the motivation I need to get back on the horse and knock my last one out.

Wow, what a long thread! I can't believe you have taken so many exams and then had to restart and start over. If it's only SS that you have left, you can certainly get through it! You're so so close. Just practice practice practice. I found the Kaplan practice exam to be extremely useful. I think it had like over 300 questions from what I remember.
gbalaka

Postby Sarcasmo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 am

I'm interested what the license will mean for everyone on this thread -- what might have the license change in your current job, or maybe a new job, or going off on your own, etc....?

No need for small plans at this point.
Sarcasmo

Postby tmston2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:53 am

I Was 37 when I took my first exam in 4.0, just turned 41 in November and hoping to be done in 5.0 by june
tmston2

Postby Raja » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:13 pm

roaaia wrote:
Raja wrote:We can do it!!

YES WE CAN!

Did you finish yours roaia?

It took me a long time but I finally took my first exam since they all expired...CDs. It was very hard for me to study... a lot to manage with full time work and adult life. I had 2 panic attacks during the exam and was shaking the entire time, it seemed as if I had studied for an entirely different test. And I failed.

BUT the silver lining is I passed all the sections at level 1 except the vignette (failed level 3), which I knew I might have done badly on because I discovered a calculation error with 5 minutes left (source of 2nd panic attack) and went about correcting it but ran out of time. Anyhow I've continued studying and am re-taking it next month. Fingers crossed. So proud of everyone doing this herculean task over 40 and this thread is keeping me motivated.

Also I wish we could go back to drawing and designing by hand, I think that process is not only more enjoyable but makes for better buildings.
Raja

Postby Hopeful » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:22 pm

I am 43 years old and just passed my last exam last week. I still can't believe that it's over and I don't need to study tonite... But it will take some time to digest this joy!!! I started this process in February 2015 and finished it in 2 years and 1 month. My husband and kids (13&10years) were waiting for this day. We are a happy family now. This license might get me a promotion at work and nice salary raise!!!
Hopeful

Postby iDefy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:59 am

Great job Hopeful! I know exactly what you mean when you say that it will take time to absorb :D I felt the same way too.
Extend my congrats to your whole family!
iDefy

Postby Raja » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:04 am

Hopeful wrote:I am 43 years old and just passed my last exam last week. I still can't believe that it's over and I don't need to study tonite... But it will take some time to digest this joy!!! I started this process in February 2015 and finished it in 2 years and 1 month. My husband and kids (13&10years) were waiting for this day. We are a happy family now. This license might get me a promotion at work and nice salary raise!!!

Nice work, congratulations!!! Very inspiring and I hope to be saying the same thing in the next couple of years.
Raja

Postby Hopeful » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:44 pm

Raja wrote:
Hopeful wrote:I am 43 years old and just passed my last exam last week. I still can't believe that it's over and I don't need to study tonite... But it will take some time to digest this joy!!! I started this process in February 2015 and finished it in 2 years and 1 month. My husband and kids (13&10years) were waiting for this day. We are a happy family now. This license might get me a promotion at work and nice salary raise!!!

Nice work, congratulations!!! Very inspiring and I hope to be saying the same thing in the next couple of years.

keep believing yourself!! victory will be yours in the end!
Good luck!!
Hopeful

Postby Raja » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Thank you!!!
Raja

Postby Sarcasmo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Ah, that's awesome -- congratulations!
Sarcasmo

Postby nickedemus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:28 pm

I turned 40 a month ago and just passed my last exam. SOOOO glad I can get on with my life!!!!!
nickedemus

Postby iDefy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:56 pm

nickedemus wrote:I turned 40 a month ago and just passed my last exam. SOOOO glad I can get on with my life!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! On your new found freedom and on turning 40!!! It's such a great age to be :D
iDefy

Postby nickedemus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:20 pm

iDefy wrote:
nickedemus wrote:I turned 40 a month ago and just passed my last exam. SOOOO glad I can get on with my life!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! On your new found freedom and on turning 40!!! It's such a great age to be :D

Thank you :D

Yes, I really like it here at 40!

I didn't realize it at first, but I'm not just free from the commitment of studying. I am also free of the nagging weight of knowing that I had to take and pass all of the exams. They are no longer in front of me. Whew! It is a relief!
nickedemus

Postby PEARLDRUMS » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks iDefy.... I have given myself the last 30 days before the exam to beat the Vignettes into submission. I usually give my self about 2 weeks but from what I have read. The Vignettes are tough. So I will do Vignettes and review questions for the last 30 days.
PEARLDRUMS

Postby iDefy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:18 am

PEARLDRUMS wrote:Thanks iDefy.... I have given myself the last 30 days before the exam to beat the Vignettes into submission. I usually give my self about 2 weeks but from what I have read. The Vignettes are tough. So I will do Vignettes and review questions for the last 30 days.

Good! If you want you can search up my BDCS posts. I believe I had written something about the vignettes after coming back from this exam. Also check Jenny's notes for the vignette directions. Don't let logic distract you from the task here.
iDefy

Postby Coach » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:40 am

The vignettes are not tough.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby vrcat25 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:43 pm

I concur with Coach....The vignette's are the easiest part of all of the 4.0 tests...Granted, there's an occasional WTF vignette and it seems like this is more the case with PPP.
vrcat25

Postby Hopeful » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:17 pm

I agree with coach too. Vignettes are not tough but you need to understand what they are expecting so spend sometime understanding it, practicing it and put it out on forum for comments. In my ARE journey i failed 4 exams but never a vignette!!
Hopeful

Postby nickedemus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:32 am

I think that different people are challenged by different things.

Some people think multiple choice is difficult.

Some think vignettes are difficult.

Whatever your challenge is out there, it doesn't matter. You can pass. And you can always improve. Stay strong and keep trying.

Don't let any nay-sayers keep you down!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickedemus

Postby iDefy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Is anyone from this 40+ club (or otherwise) going to the Orlando AIA '17 Conference?
Coach: will I finally see you there?
iDefy

Postby Coach » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:37 pm

iDefy wrote:Is anyone from this 40+ club (or otherwise) going to the Orlando AIA '17 Conference?
Coach: will I finally see you there?

Nope.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby denacourtney » Sat May 06, 2017 8:32 am

count me in as part of the over 40 club. i am 45 and will be turning 46 this year! i feel your pain in that i think i used to retain a lot more when i was younger. i figure i need to keep fighting the good fight and what i started...to get licensed! I just refuse to give up!

i am 45, have 4 kids and was just remarried. i work full time and i struggle to find time but i am doing it anyway!

Keep going, don’t stop! Don’t look at how far you have to go... look at how far you have come!

Dena
denacourtney

Postby iDefy » Sat May 06, 2017 9:17 am

Welcome denacourntney!
Are you preparing for ARE 5.0?
iDefy

Postby null2017 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Would any of you 40+ mind studying together for the ARE 5.0 version? Im 47 and feeling very exhausted and very distracted. What I mean is...anyone interested in banding together to push each other to get through it? If so, please feel free to email me at denacook40@yahoo.com. Would like to set up scheduled times to download study material with each other and perhaps discuss the material. I'm just getting started (again) as my previous attempts expired. Feeling even more overwhelmed with 2 kids, divorced and working/traveling full time.
null2017

Postby lingo » Mon May 08, 2017 4:21 am

Scarlett, thanks for starting this thread.
No how about the Over 50 Club?!
I am 59 and just passed my last exam -- and am DONE!
I took and passed all but one test 25 years ago -- when it was handwritten graphics on a bring-your-own drafting board, and 800 multiple choice questions over 4 continuous days, inside a gym.
My one failed test, that I kept failing... morphed over the years into seven tests on the computer when they (illegally) imposed the rolling clock. I have in the past 3 years taken 3 v4 tests and opted into v5 for the last 2 tests. Passed PDD last friday. Couldn't believe it when I got a PASS (within 48 hours by the way with v5).
Let me tell all you old and experienced people that v5 is soooo much better than v4. The questions are real, not contrived by test-makers, and no vignettes with crappy software. Real questions, that it is easier to study for, based on what we really do. Given the choice I suggest opting in.
Keep your chin up all you oldies. Good luck.
lingo

Postby nickedemus » Mon May 08, 2017 4:45 am

WOW, Lingo!! Way to be tenacious!! Congratulations!
nickedemus

Postby iDefy » Mon May 08, 2017 5:51 am

Lingo!! I am so happy to hear about your success!! Thanks for sharing this with all of us. It is really good to know your opinion about ARE 5.0. Sometimes I used to take several minutes to figure out what the question is asking!! I am hoping to help the 5.0 people but I don't feel confident enough yet.
iDefy

Postby Sarcasmo » Tue May 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Lingo -- NICE, there, ya Architect!
Sarcasmo

Postby Sarcasmo » Tue May 09, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm doing this thing. Two months, three tests, three passes, three to go.
Sarcasmo

Postby Sarcasmo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:51 am

Passed number 4.
This thread is a little slow -- how's the rest of the old school peeps doing?
Sarcasmo

Postby lingo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:17 pm

You're almost there!
Congrats and keep pushing.
lingo

Postby Joz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am

I'm 39, will be 40 in August. Hope to have second test (PPP) passed by then. Really hoping to have all 5 done in December. I'm so done worrying about all this, and now seeming to be unemployable. Nobody's interested in me at this age and experience level without a license. And if that persists after I've got the license, well, all those jobs I keep bringing in to the office (not so many as that sounds, but still) will just stick with me instead. And I rather enjoy doing big renovations of little houses. :)
Joz

Postby nickedemus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Joz wrote: And if that persists after I've got the license, well, all those jobs I keep bringing in to the office (not so many as that sounds, but still) will just stick with me instead.

Why don't you make them stick to you right now? If you're bringing work to your office, you have a key ingredient to self-employment already. You don't need a license to run your own business and manage projects, you just need to hire the correct licensed professionals. Not to discourage you from getting your license, but winning business is critical. If you're doing that already, maybe the license is extraneous.
nickedemus

Postby tufish » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks for Scarlet to start this thread. It’s so inspired.
Here is my story, I am 41 now.
I started my licensing journey since 2002. Because of foreign degree I needed additional 4 years working experience in order to start the exams. i started ARE 3.0 at 2006 and passed all 4 vignettes and LF in a row. unfortunately i had to stop due to family emergency at 2007. since then I’ve moved several places across the world, married, have a daughter and an 60 hours/week job. I’ve had several attempts from 2007 to 2015 but all failed. Until last year I had a low point and taking exams gives me something to focus on and also it’s a promise to my dead parents. Started last September, I passed SPD & CDS at first time and the third PPP this July. I have booked the two 5.0 in the end of Oct. and a week holiday after that. :)
Although taking exam has helped with the life troubles but I don’t enjoy it at all. Studying is boring and failing is depressing. I just want this to end soon…
tufish

Postby kerzzo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:05 am

iDefy wrote:
ecp8 wrote: One key is to think of the study material as professional development material rather than just stuff you need to know for a test.

Totally agree.

that's how I am aproaching this. IN real life, I come across licensed folks who do not know what someone is talking about in terms for aspects that the ARE wants us to learn. I give a lot of credit for those who do not give up and are taking this approach as something similar to 'continuing education'--bravo!
kerzzo

Postby Sarcasmo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:05 am

Checking in on the old guard -- represent, represent...

Just passed PPD, which makes 5 of 6 on first try in 5.0.

PPD in three weeks.

Never too late.
Sarcasmo

Postby Sarcasmo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 am

And done with the ARE.....
A victory for the over 40 crowd.
Cheers!
Sarcasmo

Postby nickedemus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Nice work!
nickedemus

Postby Sarcasmo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks, Nickedemus.
No more studying -- that is still sinking in...
Woo HOOOO ! ! ! !
Sarcasmo

PreviousNext

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION