Passing or testing over 40?

Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Scarlett » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 pm

All,

While I am focused on trying to finish these exams by the summer- I do get a little dismayed that I think I retained a lot more with less effort when younger and passed 3.1 exams. Perhaps my responsibilities and distractions got greater, but I fear my memorization abilities have declined.

I'm 40...just wondering if any other test takers are 40+...or passed when 40+...just looking for some inspiration it can be done when older.

Thanks!
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby chedin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Ha! You're NOT older! I'm also 40 and have had success passing 6 of the exams over the last 10 months (the 7th and hopefully last is a week away). Your work experience is going to help you more than books when taking these exams - as long as you can get past what you "should" do in the office and what they actually want from you in the exams.

I've pushed through all of the exams except this last one in a very short period of time (typically 3.5 weeks). I find that just reading and re-reading the materials and then jumping in to the test has been really helpful. The hard part is making sure you ignore all of the things in life trying to pull you away from studying. You can work through these exams pretty quickly if you are willing to give up a social/family life for a bit, but think about it...3.5 weeks isn't really that long.
chedin
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Scarlett » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:52 pm

Thanks Chedin, that has been helpful and inspiring! Perhaps it is more my tendancy to be distracted than a shriveling brain. The last few nights I started using a timer to keep me on track.

chedin wrote:Ha! You're NOT older! I'm also 40 and have had success passing 6 of the exams over the last 10 months (the 7th and hopefully last is a week away). Your work experience is going to help you more than books when taking these exams - as long as you can get past what you "should" do in the office and what they actually want from you in the exams.

I've pushed through all of the exams except this last one in a very short period of time (typically 3.5 weeks). I find that just reading and re-reading the materials and then jumping in to the test has been really helpful. The hard part is making sure you ignore all of the things in life trying to pull you away from studying. You can work through these exams pretty quickly if you are willing to give up a social/family life for a bit, but think about it...3.5 weeks isn't really that long.
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby chedin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Yeah, the distractions are a real killer. There are so many other things to be doing - working, spending time with the spouse, eating good food, designing things, making things, researching more interesting things and reading books that don't make my brain go to mush. I just constantly have to remind myself that it's not that long, and the quicker I get this over with, the sooner I'll be able to get to the stuff I WANT to be doing...and use the title Architect. It helps that the husband and I have an agreement when it gets to crunch time that he'll do ALL of the cooking and cleaning and keep things quiet for me ;-).

A tip? I've started keeping a piece of paper next to me. Every time a thought pops in to my head about something I'd like to do and would normally do right away, I write it down. That let's me feel assured I'll remember to do that thing and it keeps me on task with the studies.

My process is: I start every exam by reading through ALL of the post-exam reports by forum members and collecting every study item I can find. A week and a half before the exam, I make a list of what I really feel like I HAVE to finish reading and give myself a time frame (4 hours, 8 hours, 2 hours, etc). This helps me feel less overwhelmed and also keeps me on task because I can say, "well, it's not that bad...it's really only going to take a couple of hours to read through that which isn't very long...". Finally, I don't even THINK about the vignettes until a week before the exam. Exactly 7 days before the exam, I dive in to the forum, reading the comments on people's uploads and the documents people have posted on how to approach the vignettes, then I go through the NCARB sample and an alt. While I'm waiting to hear people's comments, I go back to my reading or comment on other people's uploads. After the comment period, I go back a couple more times and complete a couple more alts and review a few more uploads by others.

Did you lose exams from the 3.1 conversion? How many do you have left to go? Have you started developing a study pattern? Have you set a testing timeline for yourself yet?
You know you can do this :-)!
chedin
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby tinaruiz » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:10 am

Well, I'm not quite 40, but just a couple months away :) I sometimes think I really should have taken these tests a long time ago but I'm probably a better test taker now. Yes, there are distractions but just find a pace that works for you. If you need a little down time between tests, take it. If you need dive in and move quickly, that's fine too. Obviously, you want to keep within the rolling clock but figure out a realistic plan and you can do it! I have found that estimating the hours needed (60 - 80 hrs/test typ.) per test is the best way to decide on a timeframe and then schedule the test accordingly. I need to have a set test date to get serious about it. Good Luck!
tinaruiz
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:39 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby ozzie62 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:28 pm

I started testing at 49, have passed 5 tests and am now almost 52. I have BS and structures left, and am just starting to study for the structures test. I haven't calculated a beam in 27 years. Not quite sure if I can pull it off but my 50+ brain and I are going to give it a try or two, or three ....

Lots of luck to you.
ozzie62
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:47 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Scarlett » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:41 am

Thanks everyone for the hints and stories! i've got 2 passed under 4.0 and really want to finish everything this year.

Chedin - I'm going to try just jotting down things that pops into my head. I started using a timer to ensure I put in at least 2-3 hours a night solid, and that is helping. I usually stop it to deal with whatever else I think i need to do, but it is distracting.

Ozzie - That is great! Just what I was looking for that it can be done and my brain hasn't died yet.

tinaruiz - That may be part of my problem I'm no scheduling them in advance. Haven't taken one since Oct. I tried doing it without scheduling to make sure I am 100% but seems I am just dragging it out now.

Thanks all!
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby iDefy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:16 pm

I am 41 and loving it. So far it has been far better than 11, 21, and 31. I don't believe that it is difficult to study at this age. This might be the best 'enlightenment' age to do it. I often 'get' things while studying that I had no clue on in school and had just rushed through them due to lack of time. I have been through periods of uncertainty about retention in the past few years that actually landed me at the doorstep of a psychiatrist! :D I thought I have ADD or something. They diagnosed anxiety. With their help and later seeing a psychologist helped take care of some angst. I also noticed that I was taking the exams at the wrong time. I was taking early morning exams just because it felt right by default, and I am a night owl by nature. Starting to take the last exam slot of the evenings also helped a lot. So far I have passed 4/7 exams.
User avatar
iDefy
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby mariavista » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:04 pm

Hey, I am 51 and studying for the last 3: PPP, SPD and BDCS. I had to take the SS exam twice. I don't think it is about age. Just dogged determination.
mariavista
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Mike-SE » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:32 pm

At 40 you will pass them all before you reach the age when I started.
Not willing to state my age but I am older than any of the other posters and pass my last exam in June 2013
Mike-SE
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Red » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:21 pm

This conversation thread has been comforting to read. I'm 45 and must admit there have been moments where I've wondered about my geriatric brain as well… But, I think it's more likely I'm just not as ambitious (in terms of career status labels) as I was 10 years ago. You really have to be a true believer in the worthiness of it to demand so much effort from yourself. And, of course, you have to have good resources, habits, and space in your schedule all which I'm struggling with. I taught full-time at a university for the last 5+ years (with classes covering much of the content on the AREs) so I naively thought I had these exams in the bag, but then to my shock, horror and embarrassment, I failed the first two exams (CDS and PPP). I just took SD last week and haven't gotten the results yet. For the most part, I've come to accept (and embrace the challenge presented by) my failures and am determined to keep at it… even if it takes me till I'm 50.
Last edited by Red on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:37 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Kempa » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm 47. I passed my first test, took my second, waiting for the result.

Yes, studying is a little harder, and there is a lot of stuff that I haven't had to think about since I left college. On the other hand, having 25+ years of architecture experience makes it a lot easier to answer some of the questions that the young candidates would have trouble with.
Kempa
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Design intent » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:01 pm

This thread has been such a help. I'm approaching 40 this year, and set a goal for myself to pass them all by the time I'm 40. I started testing in 3.1 and just lost some of my momentum and vigor with the switch to 4.0. In 3.1 I passed 4 of the 9 exams. I was broken hear ted to learn that 1 of them would have transferred over, but I lost that one due to the rolling clock.

Passing the ARE was a goal I set for myself in middle school, and I can't let go of that dream just because there are some obstacles in the way.

I'm renewed. Thank you all for sharing!
Design intent
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:09 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Coach » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:27 pm

I passed 8 of 9 the first time time I tested when I was 29. For one reason or another, I didn't finish until one month after my 50th birthday.
User avatar
Coach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12140
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby iDefy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 pm

Coach wrote:I passed 8 of 9 the first time time I tested when I was 29. For one reason or another, I didn't finish until one month after my 50th birthday.


Ahh! You win Coach, you win. Maybe that how you gained all this wisdom by meditating on AREs for 20 years.
User avatar
iDefy
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Dezignone » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:05 pm

I have been putting this off for years..Ive been doing design build since I was 19 years old. I just turned 55 years old on Saturday. I don't think age matters if you really have a passion for Architecture that's all that matters. To be honest I know more now then I did when I was younger. :D
Dezignone
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Coach » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:57 pm

If I recall correctly, someone once posted getting licensed at 57.
User avatar
Coach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12140
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Scarlett » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:19 am

Thanks Coach. I'm glad I started this thread. Very inspiring. I got my latest Pass 2 weeks ago, so I am back in the groove. For me the graphics had tripped me up before, just a speed thing. Likely due to spending more time on MC and not enough on practicing it or my feeble eye/hand coordination. I really want to be done by this summer. No way am I losing test results again. Momentum of studying every night is helping.
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby tatamin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Hello,

I'm 47.

In my case, I went to the architecture school in the US and got the master's degree in my 30's, however; I had to be out of the country until I got my US permanent resident card. I came back to the US 2 years ago. I passed the LEED GA in 2012, the LEED AP BD+C in 2013, and the LEED AP ID+C a week ago.

I'm just about starting for the ARE now. So...let me join your over 40's club. Thank you!

-Tatamin
Last edited by tatamin on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
tatamin
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby hnQ_9999 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Red wrote:This conversation thread has been comforting to read. I'm 45 and must admit there have been moments where I've wondered about my geriatric brain as well… But, I think it's more likely I'm just not as ambitious (in terms of career status labels) as I was 10 years ago. You really have to be a true believer in the worthiness of it to demand so much effort from yourself. And, of course, you have to have good resources, habits, and space in your schedule all which I'm struggling with. I taught full-time at a university for the last 5+ years (with classes covering much of the content on the AREs) so I naively thought I had these exams in the bag, but then to my shock, horror and embarrassment, I failed the first two exams (CDS and PPP). I just took SD last week and haven't gotten the results yet. For the most part, I've come to accept (and embrace the challenge presented by) my failures and am determined to keep at it… even if it takes me till I'm 50.


Thank you for sharing.
It took me a very, very long time to come to think likewise,
For the most part, I've come to accept (and embrace the challenge presented by)
my failures and am determined to keep at it… even if it takes me till I'm 50.
hnQ_9999
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby AREfun » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:16 pm

I am 38, and just finished my last two sections after taking the first five when I was 33 and 34 (just made the rolling clock by less than a month). I did notice a little brain fuzz at first, but I attribute it mostly to just being away from school for so long. I also noticed that having more work experience helped quite a bit, since a lot of the scenarios from the ARE were things that I have actually dealt with in a professional office.
AREfun
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:21 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby ecp8 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:31 pm

44 here. I had taken all but one exam by 2008 and got very busy due to layoffs at my firm, getting married, moving house etc so I decided to hold off taking the last exam. Roll around to last year when I found out that 5 of my passed exams had been negated by the rolling clock (I never even heard of the rolling clock). So, took all 6 in 6 months. Frankly, it was a little refreshing re-studying some of this stuff because it's easy to forget it in your day to day practice. One key is to think of the study material as professional development material rather than just stuff you need to know for a test.
ecp8
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby kevinjc78 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:01 am

Talk about some great inspiration from everyone. I am turning 36 this year (not 40 yet, but have been working at firms since I was 18....so seams like a long time!) and at times feel like I have waited too long....wife, kids, work, friends are what I love spending time with. I just started taking the exams again this past December. Passed 2 failed 1 and was on a good pace to take an exam each month, but as always life got in the way working 70-80 hours a week and trying to spend time with family takes a toll on a person as you all know.

It does seem easier to study now then when I was younger as I know what the goal is and how important it is to not only me, but my family. The hardest part for me is getting a regular schedule. I try to study 2 hours in the morning and one at night. However with my work load picking up....when I typically would get into the office at 4 a.m. and study to 6:00 a.m., now I feel I have to work.

.....What if anything have any of you done to help balance workload. I have spoken to the architects I work with to lessen my workload. Even the ones who are encouraging me all of the time, and know I am too busy, they still come to me to do work. Do some of you have the same issues? I am the type of person who typically won't say no, as I love learning/doing many things, but I feel like I will never get licensed if I keep working crazy hours. To me the firm knows that they have a person who is basically an architect, and it really is of no real benefit that I get licensed. Like I said they support me in some ways, but in the area of workload it just doesn't happen.

Anyway, I have been trying to get back on a regular study schedule for a few weeks and you have all inspired me!
kevinjc78
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:27 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby iDefy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:04 am

For conquering distractions (work can be one of those) I have found it to be useful to lock myself in a place without access to the distraction. For exercise it is the gym and for ARE study it is the library. Through time, I have learnt to set the emails to not ding, and only download when I use the mail app. And set the phone calls to 'ring when someone calls twice' while I am at the library. That way I have peace if mind that I will be found if my husband or kids are looking for me. Unfortunately most libraries don't open early enough in the morning, but if you make it a routine to stop there at some point of the day, it really gets you going. Sometimes, if I am having difficulty getting into what I call the study high, I leave the books in the car knowing that I'll never pick them in the home anyways. In this kind of situation it also helps me to restrain from using my iPad for study.
User avatar
iDefy
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby iDefy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:07 am

ecp8 wrote: One key is to think of the study material as professional development material rather than just stuff you need to know for a test.


Totally agree.
User avatar
iDefy
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Scarlett » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:14 am

After struggling with thinking my brain shriveled I think the biggest problem with studying was the incessant distractions (mainly email alerts). Once I turned those off and limited internet usage during study tim to just searching terms- it helped tremendously. I also have to isolate myself from everyone and everything...just looking around got me distracted over things I had to do.

I like the idea of viewing it as professional development. My husband is not allowed to call this time "study time" as it makes me anxious. I seem so old to have "study time." Viewing it as professional development does help. I have learned a whole lot.

iDefy wrote:For conquering distractions (work can be one of those) I have found it to be useful to lock myself in a place without access to the distraction. For exercise it is the gym and for ARE study it is the library. Through time, I have learnt to set the emails to not ding, and only download when I use the mail app. And set the phone calls to 'ring when someone calls twice' while I am at the library. That way I have peace if mind that I will be found if my husband or kids are looking for me. Unfortunately most libraries don't open early enough in the morning, but if you make it a routine to stop there at some point of the day, it really gets you going. Sometimes, if I am having difficulty getting into what I call the study high, I leave the books in the car knowing that I'll never pick them in the home anyways. In this kind of situation it also helps me to restrain from using my iPad for study.
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby alisabet12 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:40 pm

this has been a great thread to read through. I started taking the ARE's when I was 34 (I didn't get my authorization to test until I was 33). Well, I failed every single one of them on the first go. I tried to do the whole thing in less than a year and was still too distracted and had a lousy study "strategy" if you want to call it that. I recently got over that colossal fail and decided that I've come too far to give up (I had a really solid education with a scholarship to one of the top 5 schools for my M.Arch, I had taught graduate design studio at an Ivy league, I have a couple buildings that I can point to and honestly without hyperbole or exaggeration say that I designed). So, when I got married and had my firstborn a little over 2 years ago (literally 9 hours after my student's final crit at Penn!), I decided that it's time to get this done. I had worked in a few firms in Philadelphia and was surrounded by kids who were just completing their B.Arch and halfway through these exams. There was one young person at the firm I was working who was completely condescending and walked with an air of superiority because she got licensed so young. Good for her. That was not me. And I am so much the wiser. I've lived all over the US., always in pursuit of architecture. I guess having my daughter made it that much more important to get licensed now. So, I passed my first one in February (a month before my 42nd birthday), failed my second one in March (found out on my 42nd Birthday), and am fully intent on passing #3 & #4 before my second daughter arrives in mid May! So, I guess my inspiration is twofold. I love architecture and was always challenged. Each time doubts were expressed, I would shake I off and try harder - that's what landed me graduate school admission to Columbia, Penn, Yale, Sci-Arc, and Rice (where I ended up going). If I would have listened to former professors from Carnegie Mellon and Georgia Tech, I would have given up and pursed Hip hop (Seriously, a professor from Carnegie Mellon thought I should pursue that instead of architecture)> Well, I persisted and it's been a trying journey at times. So, my first inspiration is persistence - because that is my DNA - anyone tells me I can't is just providing infinite fuel for me to prove that I can (this only works for things I want). My second and perhaps more meaningful motivation is to be an architect and get this going so that I can provide a modest life for my family and have my daughters know me as an architect which so many in life have tried to make me think I am not. I am happy that there are other older and wiser folks out there. This time I am in it to win it. I am not just reading things to pass the test but to know the materials....I think xperience. you want to do all the hard work to achieve your dreams.
alisabet12
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:08 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby iDefy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:43 pm

Bravo alisabet12, bravo. Great to have you on our team. Just keep pushing it, the glory shall be yours.
User avatar
iDefy
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Scarlett » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks for your stories. Reading and re-reading these have really helped me. I have now passed 2 out of 2 since I started my first post here. 3 more to go BS, SS and BDCS. I've got a system now and sticking with it. I passed 5 sections before and lost them all (no graphics passed). I've since gone on to pass 4 under 4.0. I am cautiously starting to envision an end to it all this year. My body was really worn out after this last test PPP. Took me 2 days to recover. Perhaps it was the same when I was younger, and I just don't remember.
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby dc_NYC » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:27 am

Hi guys,

great thread here....

I took my first ARE exam (Building Systems) a couple of weeks before my 40th birthday in October 2012. I had fully intended to complete IDP and finish the exams many years ago, but I went to Australia for what I thought was going to be 6 months and stayed for 8 years!

So, when I returned to the US, I had to start my IDP over and then start studying for the exams. It took a while to get organized with a crazy workload etc but I just buckled down and started the process.

I just received my notification yesterday that I passed my last exam, schematic design. It took about 18 months in total to take all seven and I was able to pass them in the first go.

As we all know, it has taken alot of patience, support and understanding from family, friends and work colleagues to get through these things. BUT, the payoff to have finished is worth it!

Keep on trucking! You can do it!

Thanks,

-dc
dc_NYC
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:04 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Scarlett » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks for sharing! 18 months and 1st try, that's wonderful!

dc_NYC wrote:Hi guys,

great thread here....

I took my first ARE exam (Building Systems) a couple of weeks before my 40th birthday in October 2012. I had fully intended to complete IDP and finish the exams many years ago, but I went to Australia for what I thought was going to be 6 months and stayed for 8 years!

So, when I returned to the US, I had to start my IDP over and then start studying for the exams. It took a while to get organized with a crazy workload etc but I just buckled down and started the process.

I just received my notification yesterday that I passed my last exam, schematic design. It took about 18 months in total to take all seven and I was able to pass them in the first go.

As we all know, it has taken alot of patience, support and understanding from family, friends and work colleagues to get through these things. BUT, the payoff to have finished is worth it!

Keep on trucking! You can do it!

Thanks,

-dc
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby grampakelly » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:00 am

another 40+ here! just took my first exam last week. on top of that, I've been out of architecture for five years. That being said, I have found the studying to be rather enjoyable (inconceivable to me 15 years ago) and it has definitely rekindled a love for this stuff...
grampakelly
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby cosmicboss » Fri May 02, 2014 10:54 am

Hmm.. interesting. I am not 40 yet but will post here just so that I am able to find it again and for future reference.

GAT
User avatar
cosmicboss
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby PEARLDRUMS » Wed May 07, 2014 5:39 am

47 here.... taking my second exam on Friday... Passed SD now looking to pass SPD....
User avatar
PEARLDRUMS
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Arch2bMD » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey y'all,
This is a great thread, and it is nice to know that I am not alone in this pursuit! :D Sometimes I get discouraged at the fact that this is taking me so long to complete...I started testing 5 years ago and I just turned 40 one month ago. Originally my goal was to pass all of the exams before my 40th birthday (that hasn't happened). I am three away, including the one that I am losing due to my rolling clock...I have SS, BS and CDS (am losing this one due to clock) left. I am planning to take SS by the middle of August and hope to knock out the rest shortly there after to be done by Thanksgiving.

As my husband often tells me..."if we were able to make it through 5+ years of school, and nights with little to no sleep, we are not afraid of hard work and tough assignments...and these exams are just another tough assignment..."

Good luck to you all!!
User avatar
Arch2bMD
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:38 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Harrye » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:54 pm

Just passed all. Glad to see that there are some mature architects/candidates that probably once drafted by hand and know what nice drawings look like. These kids!! Grumble, grumble, grumble.
User avatar
Harrye
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:35 am

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Scarlett » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:32 am

Congrats! Just what I needed to hear to keep me motivated.

Harrye wrote:Just passed all. Glad to see that there are some mature architects/candidates that probably once drafted by hand and know what nice drawings look like. These kids!! Grumble, grumble, grumble.
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Scarlett » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:37 am

Welcome to the 40 + :) of all the ones to lose in my opinion CDS is the easiest, so don't let that worry you.

I have found I just have to carve the time every day or I lose focus and this process drags farther and farther out. I thought for sure my brain wasn't what it was in college but once you get back into those late night patterns it gets easier.

I have 3 left...hoping 2 left come Sat.

Arch2bMD wrote:Hey y'all,
This is a great thread, and it is nice to know that I am not alone in this pursuit! :D Sometimes I get discouraged at the fact that this is taking me so long to complete...I started testing 5 years ago and I just turned 40 one month ago. Originally my goal was to pass all of the exams before my 40th birthday (that hasn't happened). I am three away, including the one that I am losing due to my rolling clock...I have SS, BS and CDS (am losing this one due to clock) left. I am planning to take SS by the middle of August and hope to knock out the rest shortly there after to be done by Thanksgiving.

As my husband often tells me..."if we were able to make it through 5+ years of school, and nights with little to no sleep, we are not afraid of hard work and tough assignments...and these exams are just another tough assignment..."

Good luck to you all!!
User avatar
Scarlett
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby archspri » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:51 am

I can't imagine taken the exams when I'm older. I'm 29 right now, and began testing about 3 years ago. I was able to knock out SD and BDCS before getting married in 2012, but between a full time job, planning for the wedding, buying and DIY renovating the house, moving wife's stuff, it was about a year and a half before I scrounged the time to study for SS. After that exam, family emergencies and Baby #1 delayed my next exam, but was able to take BS right before baby was born. 7 months later, I had to have a come to Jesus meeting with wife asking her to be on board with me cranking out my last 3 exams (CDS, SPD, PPP). She agreed, so my days consist of working all day, studyging for a few hours after work (leaving her to tend to the baby nearly full-time), and just accepting the fact that if I wanted to get my exams done, I wouldn't be around much (studying at the house is not productive, so I need to go to the coffee shop). Needless to say, I was able to study for CDS in about 3 weeks (took and passed exam at beginning of June), I'm taking SPD on July 17, and hopefully PPP by the end of August.

With all that in mind, I'd imagine if I would have waited until I was older, having more kids, study time would be hard to come by, so I tip my hat to all you who are older and continue to pursue licensure. You continue to inspire "young" punks like me.
archspri
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Re: Passing or testing over 40?

Postby Kurt999 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Count me in. Am over 40 and am testing. I also just realized that a new testing facility has relocated less than a mile from my house, leaving me with few viable excuses.
Apparently I'm quite the procrastinator.
Thankfully I have my breathtaking eye-candy good looks to fall back on...
Kurt999
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:22 am

Next

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests