Really old (56) and just finished my AXP:)

Really old (56) and just finished my AXP:)

Postby Talldude » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Hello ARE support group.... First post and have never lurked around. Just jumping in. Back ground: My dad was a builder and my mom an artist. I was working with my dad building custom homes and churches starting around age 12. Was given my first skill saw at age 14. My uncle was a master draftsman (ink). He drew my dads projects. He taught my brother and I how to draft and assemble construction documents. I first set of CD's was for an patio addition to a private college. It was all steel framing and I drew the structural details for the engineer as well. I was 18 yrs old (1982). I became a licensed general contractor 7 years later. I ran my own design/ build company for the next 20 years.
I always had a side drafting company that I provided structural detailing for engineers. My uncle worked for me for helping with the drafting. I started building homes out of cold formed steel or CFS. I've published a number of articles on CFS homes, and have a training video that the steel industry used at trade shows. I joined the steel framing alliance and served on the board of directors for 8 years. During this time I consulted with numerous architects and engineers. Most of which was related to Mid-rise structures.
I realized working with these architectural firms that this was my true calling. I was forced into construction, but was more interested in design. I my early 40's I went back to school and completed an AS degree in architectural drafting. I was older than most of my professors. I'd also designed a good 100+ homes. One of my professors started to work with me. We worked together for about 3 years, till she move away for a an associate professor position at a university.
A long time friend / architect / general contractor offered me a job working with him full time. I had been doing his as-built plans for years already. I looked at this as a great opportunity to enter the IDP / AXP and plug away at my experience. It's worked out perfect for both of us. I do the bulk of his cad work, and my phone never rings. When I was building custom homes, all my projects were complicated. More like commercial structures, than standard residential projects. Some of my project had caissons 70 ft deep, and poured steel deck floors. These projects would take 2 or more years to complete. Lots of risk, and liability. I was lucky to never be sued or have anyone die on my projects. My clients owned me 24/7 and I would have 3 houses going at a time. Now the stress level is 95% less. The 5% is my 16 year old son driving his car.
I'm in California were I only need experience to qualify to take the exams. Experience I have. Support is my cats staring at me as I ignore them and keep drawing. All of our projects are subject to a lengthy design review process, California Coastal Commission review, along with multiple variances. We work closely with attorneys on most of our commercial / hotel / restaurant projects to process the variances. We do a ton of entitlement work. In addition to my architectural work, I teach part time the construction trades at a local community college. Mostly project management, estimating, and contractor's licence law.
If you actually read this..thanks:)

So here I am trying to figure out the CA state experience requirement forms. I have enough experience just working for my current boss / NCARB supervisor to fulfill the requirements. I also get a year for my AS degree and a year for being a licensed contractor. The numerous structural engineers I've worked for over the years could qualify me for another year or two. Which forms and where do I start??? BTW I'm 6'-7" tall, thus the name.
Talldude

Re: Really old (56) and just finished my AXP:)

Postby Ruby » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:10 am

Hey Talldude! What a path you've been on! I would start with NCARB--they have all the answers and they are the ones who manage AXP and the licensing process. There is a discussion community on their site, but it would be best for you to contact NCARB directly, being as your path is not traditional. If you don't hear back from them, keep calling! (Yes, telephone is the best way to get ahold of them) Best of luck!

https://www.ncarb.org/
Ruby

Postby Talldude » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:34 am

Thank you Ruby. I have spoken directly with NCARB a number of times. They are very accessible and helpful. Once my record was complete, I then selected California as my jurisdiction. NCARB then sent my record to the CA Architects Board. I called the CA board and they assigned my me a Written Exam Technician based on the first letter in my last name. That technician emailed me the links to all the forms to confirm my experience as the CA Architects Board requires.
This is where I'm at. I figure I'll just fill out the forms as best I can, wait for the corrections :lol: Hopefully they don't send them out to an independent form checking firm :cry:
Talldude

Postby Ruby » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:48 am

Gotcha! In that case, it might be helpful to post your questions on the NCARB Community chat--I find that is quite active. Additionally there are several Facebook groups geared towards the AREs, and the California Supplemental Exam.
Ruby

Postby Talldude » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:15 am

Hmmm..? I've been avoiding Facebook and Instagram for years. Might have to join the new world. I'm from the generation that hand drafted for years prior to CAD even being available. No cell phones either.
Anyway, thanks again. I'll check out these other sources of guidance.
Talldude

Postby Coach » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:36 pm

The process has become more complicated over the years, especially for someone in your position. I haven't kept up with the intricacies of the requirements but as here's how I understand it...

To qualify for the ARE you need to document 5 years of education/experience. You do this directly to CAB with the
Employment Verification Form. You should do this first so you can get started on the exam.

As soon as you submit those to CAB, get started on documenting your AXP. Unfortunately, most of your experience is lost because ncarb has a 5-year age limit. See AXP Guidelines
Coach
Site Admin

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION