Are Black Spectacles any good at study materials?

Are Black Spectacles any good at study materials?

Postby Pandekage » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi all, hope this would be in the correct forum... I'm currently an ARE eligible graduate employed overseas... I have the conundrum where my US company offers the online subscription to the Black Spectacles ARE study service, but my overseas location means I cannot find physical ARE study guides easily. In order to get the most out of my year or two of my work overseas, I'm planning on perhaps taking one or two ARE 5 divisions before returning stateside and completing the rest. So, three questions, hopefully for those who've tried Black Spectacles:

1. Is the Black Spectacles subscription enough as a sole study material for passing exams?
2. If so, which ARE divisions are best covered, i.e. which exams should I take while utilizing the subscription?
3. If not, which other physical materials would be good supplements?
Pandekage

Re: Are Black Spectacles any good at study materials?

Postby Ruby » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:25 am

No study material is enough on its own to help you pass the test. Use the resources outlined in the NCARB Handbook.
Ruby

Re: Are Black Spectacles any good at study materials?

Postby Raja » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:23 am

I second Ruby's comment. The NCARB Handbook resources are the best materials to study. I found reading the recommended books and doing an endless amount of test questions to be most useful. I like Ballast questions.

I think Black Spectacles is a good adjunct, for me the lectures were helpful in the background (speed them up) while working, but I definitely wouldn't use that as the only study material.
Raja

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION