Don't do it!

Don't do it!

Postby Coach » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:15 am

Coach
Site Admin

Re: Don't do it!

Postby standard » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:05 am

These were all people from SOM in New York. I hope this is a rare event for the profession. To me the licensing process seems easier than ever, with AXP, study materials, NCARB materials/info, test format, etc.

I feel strongly that if you cannot figure out an (ethical) way to pass the tests then you don’t deserve to be called an architect. It sounds obvious but I don’t think people get that.

There is a skill to studying and researching that you need in order to be proficent in the profession. The tests do cover a very wide range of topics - that you do need to know. Architecture is the profession about everything. You need to be good at everything.

You can have an electrical engineer who needs to be good at electrical. And thats it. But the architect needs to understand that discipline and a dozen others, on top of the typical architect things. And by the way all those little boxes (aka electrical panels, switchgears, etc) will not fit in whatever room they show unless you coordinate for them. Same with every other discipline. It’s mind boggling the amount of knowledge (and skillset) you need. ADA. Waterproofing detailing. Fire rated wall assemblies. Life safety codes. Contracts. Site design. Revit components. Door hardware. FHA. Soil compaction. Products on the market.The list goes on for miles. Welcome to a life-long path of endless learning. If you don’t enjoy living on the edge of destruction (well litigation is more like it) every day then there are plenty of other jobs/careers.
standard

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION