ARE 4.0 Struggle

ARE 4.0 Struggle

Postby drfmpower » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:06 am

So I struggled with the 4.0 and did not pass one exam with a total of 6 attempts. I tested for CDS a toal of four times and PPD a total of two times. I thought I was well prepared for CDS this last try. I came close but, did not pass. Now I am onto 5.0 and want to get this right. I have spent a lot of $ and time from my family studying for 4.0. my work experience is over 18 years in an office and longer in the field as a carpenter. Can anyone please help me with what material to buy for study material. I have bought so much material and cannot afford to keep buying anything and everything.

Books purchased for ARE 4.0: Kaplan 2009 CDS Practices Test and Exam, Ballast ARE 4.0 Review Manual, Ballast CDS Practice Exam Questions, Arch Flashcards, AHPP, Caroline's CDS Notes, Jenny's CDS Notes, NCARB Practice exam, etc.

Please someone help. I am so frustrated and let down by this past CDS exam. I really thought I passed and felt good after testing. What exam should I start with and what material is definitely needed to study?
drfmpower

Re: ARE 4.0 Struggle

Postby drummer03 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:37 am

Sorry to hear about your struggle. As far as the new 5.0 exams I will stick primarily with First Party Sources. In other words, look at the suggested reference list in the NCARB Handbook and will stick with that. That's what seems to be working for all. Some of the Books might seem overwhelming but the sources you listed for 4.0 are all Second Party and although I think they can still help I would not rely solely on those. You might already have some of the books they referenced in the Handbook in your office or from your school days. I was surprised at having these books at home and in my office which I had not opened in a while.
drummer03

Re: ARE 4.0 Struggle

Postby drfmpower » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:06 am

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I understand First Party Resources. I am looking in the Handbook on page 177, Reference matrix. Is that what you are referring to in the Handbook?
drfmpower

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION