Clarification on Rounding #s

Clarification on Rounding #s

Postby alenb » Sat May 12, 2018 7:15 pm

I can’t find anywhere how Ncarb is looking - grading on rounding digital numbers when asking a question to round to a whole number when for example the answer would be 0.25. Would you round to 0.3 or just leave 0.25? I like when they specify round to nearest hundredth or thousanth that makes sense what number shall be rounded but I’m confused when they say round to the whole number but the answer is associated with for instance procentage for the slopes
Which is a small number to begin with in order to make it a whole number.
Can anyone clarify this since I would hate that my math is all corect but rounding is not what they are looking for.
Thanks
alenb

Re: Clarification on Rounding #s

Postby Coach » Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 pm

If the expected answer is a percentage and your math gives you 0.253, then the nearest whole number answer is 25%.
0.256 = 26%
0.094 = 9%
0.097 = 10%
etc
Coach
Site Admin

Postby alenb » Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Coach wrote:If the expected answer is a percentage and your math gives you 0.253, then the nearest whole number answer is 25%.
0.256 = 26%
0.094 = 9%
0.097 = 10%
etc

Coach,
I get that but what if the answer is 0.0025 than multiply by 100 you get 0.25%. What is the whole number? Stay with 0.25% or 0.3%? I don’t know if Ncarb is taking off points if you don’t round correctly or what do you consider here a whole number as I have stated above .25 or .3?

Another example let’s say V=1.5’ H=100’ based on m=v/h m=1.5% that is the final answer. But what is the whole number here now stay with 1.5% or round to nearest whole number 2%?
I think Ncarb should not take off points in either answers but that’s what I’m confused with did not see any of their math explanations. This is so stupid that we need to worry how they grade on a rounding number and not on the actual answers.
alenb

Postby vrcat25 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:54 pm

i've yet to encounter a situation where the decimal placement isn't given. Not to mention they're multiple choice so should be consistent. Then again, with PPD and PDD there was almost zero calculations. Are you talking about a 4.0 or 5.0 test or just in general?
vrcat25

Postby Coach » Sun May 13, 2018 5:43 pm

alenb wrote:I get that but what if the answer is 0.0025 than multiply by 100 you get 0.25%. What is the whole number?

Zero. A whole number is an integer. Basic math.

Another example let’s say V=1.5’ H=100’ based on m=v/h m=1.5% that is the final answer. But what is the whole number here now stay with 1.5% or round to nearest whole number 2%?

I think Ncarb should not take off points in either answers but that’s what I’m confused with did not see any of their math explanations. This is so stupid that we need to worry how they grade on a rounding number and not on the actual answers.

Where are you getting the problem? Are you fretting over something that's in a 3rd party study guide?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby alenb » Sun May 13, 2018 7:15 pm

vrcat25 wrote:i've yet to encounter a situation where the decimal placement isn't given. Not to mention they're multiple choice so should be consistent. Then again, with PPD and PDD there was almost zero calculations. Are you talking about a 4.0 or 5.0 test or just in general?

5.0 exam
alenb

Postby alenb » Sun May 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Coach wrote:
alenb wrote:I get that but what if the answer is 0.0025 than multiply by 100 you get 0.25%. What is the whole number?

Zero. A whole number is an integer. Basic math.

No the question is asking what is the slope you can’t have zero slope since the sewer pipe for example can’t have zero slope if it is slowing down in a given question. It must must be sloped and in this case .25% or .3%. Thats what is confusing.

Where are you getting the problem? Are you fretting over something that's in a 3rd party study guide?

Yes 3rd party study guides - Design hackers have many questions that ask about rounding to whole numbers and I came across some other materials that Ncarb might also ask. I just want to be clear.
alenb

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION