Education Requirements for California

Education Requirements for California

Postby LB443 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:50 am

This may not be the proper forum to ask this question but since I see a lot of California related posts I figured someone might know the answer. I just graduated from an unaccredited program in architecture (B.S Arch - 4 Years), prior to that I got an associate's in architectural technology (2 years).

In California, I am eligible to take the A.R.Es but I don't believe I meet the educational requirements to become licensed. Is it possible for me to make up the remaining educational requirements while working under a licensed architect? in other words, can relevant work experience get me to licensure even if I don't hold an accredited degree?

I'm just breaking ground on this topic and A.R.E's in general and could use a little bit of guidance, hoping this is the place for it. If anyone knows the answer or could point in the direction to find this out I would be incredibly grateful. Thank you!
LB443

Re: Education Requirements for California

Postby vrcat25 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:29 pm

It's not just an education requirement in california, but just about every state in the U.S. You need an accredited bachelors or masters in most states and especially California...I'm pretty certain that your quickest route would be to get a masters degree and unless your degree is accredited by the NAAB, you can't become licensed in the majority of states in the U.S. If you want to verify this, just call NCARB or your local AIA office in California. I think you'll find you quickest and only route will be an accredited masters in architecture. Since you already have a non accredited bachelors, this will probably only take you 2 years instead of 3 years... Hope this helps.
vrcat25

Postby Coach » Fri May 11, 2018 1:11 pm

vrcat25 wrote:You need an accredited bachelors or masters in most states and especially California

Wrong!
California doesn't require an accredited degree. In fact, no degree is required at all.

An unaccredited BSArch counts for 3.5 years towards the required 8 years. The remaining 4.5 years can be satisfied through experience.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby vrcat25 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Coach wrote:
vrcat25 wrote:You need an accredited bachelors or masters in most states and especially California

Wrong!
California doesn't require an accredited degree. In fact, no degree is required at all.

An unaccredited BSArch counts for 3.5 years towards the required 8 years. The remaining 4.5 years can be satisfied through experience.

Thanks for the correction Coach. That's very surprising because i thought the education requirements would be more stringent and not less in california. I know there are a few states that don't have universities with accredited degees and many people simply get a non accredited architecture degree in those states and travel outside and get a accredited bachelors. It sounds like another option would be for those people to move to California and satisfy the requirement thru work experience? Granted, they would have to want to live in California...and pass the CSE... Strange...What if said individuals wanted to get licensed in other states Coach after becoming an architect in california? I know a few people who don't have real accredited degrees in architecture and it use to be you could become licensed thru work experience, but that's changed for most states. It's strange that California still allows this, but i guess they would be like people licensed thru work experience in past and be limited to having licenses in just that state?
vrcat25

Postby Coach » Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 pm

New York doesn't require a degree either. The pattern is that states with strong governments don't blindly follow ncarb's rules.

Reciprocity can be more difficult but not impossible. Even states that require degrees usually have a mechanism to petition the board.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION