Studying for 5.0 exams

Studying for 5.0 exams

Postby DANIIFACE » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:11 am

All,
I have passed PPP and CDS and decided to transition to 5.0 for my last three exams to take some of the June deadline pressure off of my shoulders and familiarize myself with the 5.0 exams. I took PA in the 5.0 last month and failed, and i'm not exactly sure were to go from here. Passing PPP and studying for SPD a couple years ago but failing... all of the information for the PA exam was extremely familiar, I think it's the new format that through me for a loop. I know that the new exams are more about the concepts as a whole and I 100% saw that on the exam.
Best tips and tricks for switching from the 4.0 studying mindset to the 5.0? I think If had I had started in 5.0 it would not have been so bad but the transition between the two different ways of asking questions is something I need to figure out how to manage ASAP.
Any and all advice is appreciated! :)
DANIIFACE

Re: Studying for 5.0 exams

Postby kerzzo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Did the same thing you did a year ago and probably regretting it. The reason to switch was that the 4.0 bignette software drove me impatient, but the 5.0 exams are tougher to me because they cover a lot of material. Lots of overlap.

Probably studying for all at once seems like a good idea if you have the time. In my case with 1.5 jobs is more complicated, yet i think i can defeat 5.0.
kerzzo

Postby DANIIFACE » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks for your response! I'm not regretting it just yet... I'm telling myself it's better to have to figure out the format of 5.0 with this exam so I can focus more on the material with the last two.
Did you use any supplemental material? I used the black spectacle videos, read Ballist, whole enchilada audio as well as practice exams along with any other practice exams I could get my hands on. I'm thinking I need more supplemental material this time around though. I do also have the Kaplan material now.
Last edited by DANIIFACE on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DANIIFACE

Postby kerzzo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi,
I have used the supplemental material like Kaplan, but I think those are not very well suited to the 5.0 as it is a shuffled version of the 4.0 books.

I think reading relevant chapters from the reference books stated in the 5.0 handbook is very useful. it takes much much longer, but it is quite helpful.
practice exams and general concepts via Youtube also help.

The "regretting" part has come from many members here after numerous fails. it does not have to be you specifically, but that's the general feeling as
basically we are the beta testers+not enough study material out there that aligns with this type of exam. in a nutshell, the exam is not about "remembering" or "memorizing" but it is about knowing all the basic concepts and applying them in the given situations. It's important to understand that first.

I am studying and reading all I can...use the practice tests to determine where your weaknesses are and research deeply into those topics.

Hope this helps.
kerzzo

Postby DANIIFACE » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:32 am

ok yes I understand, that's where I'm struggling.... I'm aware that the 5.0 exams are more about concepts rather than memorizing I guess I was wondering if anyone had figured out any tips or tricks to study for an exam like this. It's hard to wrap your brain around no longer "memorizing" or "remembering" info.
DANIIFACE

Postby Melon Panda » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:22 am

DANIIFACE wrote:ok yes I understand, that's where I'm struggling.... I'm aware that the 5.0 exams are more about concepts rather than memorizing I guess I was wondering if anyone had figured out any tips or tricks to study for an exam like this. It's hard to wrap your brain around no longer "memorizing" or "remembering" info.

I agree. I think the key word is "Cognitive Complexity" that NCARB started using for 5.0. The below is some links from the NCARB Community and NALSA talking about it.

I tried some sample questions from the Handbook and realized they added one or two steps to answer the question within a given situation. They calls it "A/E Level", but to me, they are trying to make a single question more thinking and complex.

I haven't figured it out how to study, since there are no any practice questions using "Cognitive Complexity" approach out there yet. Seems like we can't just use 4.0 practice questions and pass them.

NCARB:
https://are5community.ncarb.org/hc/en-u ... evel-Items

What do you think?

-MP
Melon Panda

Postby DANIIFACE » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:22 am

That is extremely helpful! Even if the study material isn't available the explanation form NCARB was very useful, thank you!
DANIIFACE

Postby Melon Panda » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Melon Panda wrote:
DANIIFACE wrote:ok yes I understand, that's where I'm struggling.... I'm aware that the 5.0 exams are more about concepts rather than memorizing I guess I was wondering if anyone had figured out any tips or tricks to study for an exam like this. It's hard to wrap your brain around no longer "memorizing" or "remembering" info.

I agree. I think the key word is "Cognitive Complexity" that NCARB started using for 5.0. The below is some links from the NCARB Community and NALSA talking about it.

I tried some sample questions from the Handbook and realized they added one or two steps to answer the question within a given situation. They calls it "A/E Level", but to me, they are trying to make a single question more thinking and complex.

I haven't figured it out how to study, since there are no any practice questions using "Cognitive Complexity" approach out there yet. Seems like we can't just use 4.0 practice questions and pass them.

NCARB:
https://are5community.ncarb.org/hc/en-u ... evel-Items

What do you think?

-MP

I think Mr. Coach deleted the links to NALSA. Go to NALSA.com and see their blog. They talks about how NCARB have changed the question format from 4.0 to 5.0 with some sample questions.

Yet we haven't figured out 5.0 though. Anybody any thoughts?

-MP
Melon Panda

Postby Melon Panda » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 pm

BTW, the simple definition of "Cognitive Complexity"
= Mental processing that requires to do or solve something
Melon Panda

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION