a very stupid question_official title

a very stupid question_official title

Postby pig » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:23 pm

sorry for asking this stupid question.
i passed all my ARE, i have completed my IPD.
what do i do now to get my license....?
what do i need to do next....?
:?: :?:
Last edited by pig on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pig

Re: a very stupid question

Postby boops » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:37 pm

pig wrote:what do i do now to get my license....?

1. Call your state board and ask if there are any forms or additional information they might need from you.
2. Call NCARB to make sure all your information is up to date and they have everything they need to complete their review.

pig wrote:what do i need to do next....?

You wait. NCARB typically takes 30 days to complete the review of your IDP and ARE. Once that review is complete NCARB will send your record to your state board whom will then issue your license.
boops

Postby cabara01 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:44 pm

FYI, it took NCARB 3 weeks and 1 day to Review my record (1/19/18 to 2/10/18) then they have 7-10 business days to transmit record to your state. NCARB recommended that I not submit my State application until I got the email from them that my record has been transmitted (because some states have a timeframe from payment of application and they didn’t want me to have to pay again). I’ve submitted my application with payment and I now have to wait until my board meets and approves.
cabara01

Postby pig » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 pm

thank you so much boops and cabara01.
can i ask:
i have the initial state as Florida when i have been taking the exam, but now i have moved to MA, can i ask ncarb to forward to MA instead of FL?
or should i just keep it simple and let the FL thing go ahead then apply for reciprocate license in MA?
would you know what i should do?
pig

Postby boops » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 am

pig wrote:i have the initial state as Florida when i have been taking the exam, but now i have moved to MA, can i ask ncarb to forward to MA instead of FL?
or should i just keep it simple and let the FL thing go ahead then apply for reciprocate license in MA?

Keep it simple and get your initial license in the state you were testing. I hear it can get messy trying to transfer ARE results and it could take a lot longer to get a license.
Once you get your initial licence in Florida then apply for an NCARB certificate so that you can achieve reciprocity and get your license in MA.
boops

Postby pig » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 pm

boops!
thank you for your advise.
i will keep it simple then.
do you know if it even matters what the initial state is? i mean, if i get a reciprocate license, must i keep the primary one....? hopefully, i can just drop florida once i get MA.
thanks so much again!!
pig

Postby Coach » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 pm

pig wrote:do you know if it even matters what the initial state is? i mean, if i get a reciprocate license, must i keep the primary one....?

No.

hopefully, i can just drop florida once i get MA.

You're free to throw your money away.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby pig » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Coach wrote:
pig wrote:do you know if it even matters what the initial state is? i mean, if i get a reciprocate license, must i keep the primary one....?

No.

wait coach, sorry i don't understand.
are you saying i should not get florida and change now to MA?
pig

Postby alexwilkosz24 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:58 am

pig wrote:
Coach wrote:

No.

wait coach, sorry i don't understand.
are you saying i should not get florida and change now to MA?

I am pretty sure he is saying why would you drop a licensed state once you have it.
alexwilkosz24

Postby Sarcasmo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 am

I am pretty sure he is saying why would you drop a licensed state once you have it.

Probably not that simple. There are fees and general maintenance associated with keeping a license, which is especially useless if there is no practical expectation of doing work in that state.
Sarcasmo

Postby Coach » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:30 pm

pig wrote:are you saying i should not get florida and change now to MA?

I would talk to MA and ncarb before deciding. Getting initial license in MA might be just as easy (or easier) than reciprocal and you'll save the FL fee.
Have you checked MA reciprocity requirements? Will you be getting full ncarb certification?
Coach
Site Admin

Postby pig » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 pm

so i followed the advise from all the kind people on this forum and i called NCARB.
turns out for NCARB, to change state is a very simple thing. just write a written note and send to customer service.

so i asked, what is my official title as i cannot call myself an architect yet but i also passed all my requirements so i am not an intern.
he was like "You are right, you are not an architect yet since you have not received your certificate. You are 3/4 there, but you are not an architect. So you are an 'Aspired Architect'"

i thought he was joking with me about the aspired architect, so i told him this sounds a bit utopian like an ayn rand novel, but he was completely serious and repeated that i am an aspired architect.

does anyone know a different better answer so i can put it on my cv....?
pig

Postby Coach » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 pm

pig wrote:So you are an 'Aspired Architect'"

Dumbest thing I've ever heard about this issue.

does anyone know a different better answer so i can put it on my cv....?

Why is that an issue? Nothing changes. You can address passing the exam and finalizing state licensure in your cover letter.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: a very stupid question_official title

Postby Sarcasmo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:23 am

pig -- while it does suck to be in limbo waiting for credentials, you probably don't want to hang on every word or phrase any given representative might say.

Of course, "Aspired Architect" makes no sense -- wrong syntax, and it's past tense. As if you are now in the position that you formerly wanted to be an architect. The individual was likely looking for "Aspiring Architect".
Sarcasmo

Postby Sarcasmo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:24 am

Sarcasmo wrote:pig -- while it does suck to be in limbo waiting for credentials, you probably don't want to hang on every word or phrase any given representative might say.

Of course, "Aspired Architect" makes no sense -- wrong syntax, and it's past tense. As if you are now in the position that you formerly wanted to be an architect. The individual was likely looking for "Aspiring Architect".
Which is also not a thing, at least officially.
Sarcasmo

Postby Sarcasmo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:28 am

I just quoted myself.
Sarcasmo

Postby boops » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:55 am

pig wrote:does anyone know a different better answer so i can put it on my cv....?

License pending?

Also, state boards have strict guidelines about what you are allowed to call yourself. Most states don't allow the word "architect" in your job title if you are an unlicensed individual. For example, junior architect or graduate architect would not be allowed in some states. Do your research for your own state.
boops

Postby mustgetlicense » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:44 am

not a stupid question, aspired architect is just a stupid response from the ncarb rep., I wouldn't touch the word architect until I have the license # from the state board.

I have always felt safe saying I am either a
Project Manager or Architectural Drafter.
mustgetlicense

Postby jackstatic » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:06 am

Here is the rule for NY

"Titles for non-licensed individuals in Architecture

In December 2016, the AIA approved a policy statement that supports the title of “Architectural Associate” or “Design Professional” for licensure candidates meeting certain pre-licensure criteria. Use of these titles for non-licensed individuals is not permissible in New York. NYS Education Law Section 7302 limits use of the title “architect” to those who are licensed or otherwise authorized in New York as architects. The term “Architectural Associate” suggests that an individual is an architect through its use of the adjective “Architectural” and the implication that professional services are offered. Use of derivatives or combined terms of the word “architect”, as in “Architectural Designer” and “Project Architect” are similarly misleading to the public and not permissible in New York.

The second title, “Design Professional” is defined in the New York State Business Corporation Law as someone who is licensed in New York as an architect, landscape architect, professional engineer, land surveyor, or geologist and who may be the licensee shareholder of a design professional service corporation (DPC). As such, the conveyance of that title upon a non-licensee is not permitted"

So in NY architectural draftsman doesn't seem to be allowed. Occasionally I will get introduced as an architect and my immediate reaction is to awkwardly clarify that I am an currently finishing my tests, but I know people often don't for clarification. Such as when at a job site someone representing an architectural firm will be addressed as the architect by a contractor and the person at the meeting, isn't licensed but doesn't speak up to clarify that.

In addition when I was unemployed a few years back, doing job searches for architect would often result in "Infrastructure IT Architecture" positions which is just flat out wrong.

ANYWAY

I should have my license soon so hopefully that will no longer be an issue...

Oh and btw, NYS reached out to me and told me they couldn't process my paper work due to a form being outdated (I had to send a new one in, no fee) 4 days before NCARB told me they actually sent the paper work to the state.
jackstatic

Postby Coach » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:48 am

jackstatic wrote:Occasionally I will get introduced as an architect and my immediate reaction is to awkwardly clarify that I am an currently finishing my tests, but I know people often don't for clarification. Such as when at a job site someone representing an architectural firm will be addressed as the architect by a contractor and the person at the meeting, isn't licensed but doesn't speak up to clarify that.

Nor should they. In that context you are representing The Architect (party to the contract) and the title is not only appropriate, but proper.
Coach
Site Admin

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION