2 tests credit lost due to transition

2 tests credit lost due to transition

Postby DADAMSKIJR » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:34 pm

Has anybody dealt with this? I have passed Schematic design, CDS, and site planning. I have taken PPP 3 times so my next available slot to retake it is after the transition in July. NCARB told me to transition over to 5.0 but this means I lose the credit on CDS and Schematic Design. I can't believe that there are no provisions for what you have already worked hard on and passed to be denied because you are having some trouble with one of these tests. Any help here would be appreciated.
DADAMSKIJR

Re: 2 tests credit lost due to transition

Postby boops » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:57 pm

You are not denied any test credits. Its how NCARB restructured the 5.0 exam content in relationship to 4.0 content. When you transfer, the 4.0 exam credits you earned count towards portions of the 5.0 exams. It is not a 1 for 1 credit transfer. For example, site planning only counts towards 1/2 of PA and 1/5th of PPD. Schematic Design only counts towards 1/5th of PPD.

See transition calculator here: https://arecalc.ncarb.org/

*EDIT: Partial credit does not transfer to the 5.0. Example: The 1/2 of PA and the 1/5th of of PPD would not transfer. You need to complete the whole credit for it to transfer. Use the calculator to understand.
Last edited by boops on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
boops

Postby Coach » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:02 pm

DADAMSKIJR wrote:Has anybody dealt with this?

Of course.

I have passed Schematic design, CDS, and site planning. I have taken PPP 3 times so my next available slot to retake it is after the transition in July.

What are the dates of the 3 PPP attempts?

NCARB told me to transition over to 5.0 but this means I lose the credit on CDS and Schematic Design.

You don't lose CDS, you'd lose SPD.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby thd7t » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 am

boops wrote:You are not denied any test credits. Its how NCARB restructured the 5.0 exam content in relationship to 4.0 content. When you transfer, the 4.0 exam credits you earned count towards portions of the 5.0 exams. It is not a 1 for 1 credit transfer. For example, site planning only counts towards 1/2 of PA and 1/5th of PPD. Schematic Design only counts towards 1/5th of PPD.

See transition calculator here: https://arecalc.ncarb.org/

This is not how it works. When you transfer, you do not get credit for partial exams. I'm not sure that's what you intended to say, but it sounded like that. Credits for exams in 5.0 that aren't completed are effectively lost. That said, you are pointing to the correct resource on this.
thd7t

Postby boops » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 am

thd7t wrote: I'm not sure that's what you intended to say, but it sounded like that. Credits for exams in 5.0 that aren't completed are effectively lost.

You're right, it sounds like im saying you get partial credit. I was trying to explain it in a simplistic form... hopefully, by providing the transition calculator resource it would give a clear understanding of what I meant.
boops

Postby DADAMSKIJR » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Yes, This is how I understand the transition as well. I have been following it very closely and I understand the calculator too. They can't give you half of the test to take. I have transitioned and was told that I lose credit on site planning and schematic design. The fact that they are transitioning to a new format does not excuse NCARB for invalidating rightfully earned passing test.I am so angry over this I am almost beyond words. The really troubling issue is that this is allowed to stand and we have no recourse. This organization is supposed to help us not hinder us.
DADAMSKIJR

Postby Coach » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:32 pm

I understand the frustration, but this is not the first time there's been pain in transition.

More importantly, this transition was announced in May 2014. Coupled with the retake policy change effective October 2014, one would have as many as 12 attempts to pass a division! That's more possible attempts than under the old retake policy with the 5-year rolling clock.

Coach
Site Admin

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION