Case Studies Advice

Case Studies Advice

Postby trekkster » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:47 am

Hello All,

I have had a hard time with the case studies. My method has been searching for key words in the files they provide but a lot of the time I feel like am just fumbling through it all hoping to run across an answer. The part that gets me annoyed since I have 10 years experience in the field and do this kind of research all of the time in my office, so why is these questions so daunting for me. I think if I can master these questions I have a shot of passing the PPD and PDD exams easily. What have all of yall done to prepare better for these questions beyond the demo that NCARB provides?

Thanks!!!
trekkster

Re: Case Studies Advice

Postby Coach » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:15 am

Well, my guess is that scenarios require a better grasp of the English language and its nuances.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby trekkster » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Hey Coach,

I could totally agree with the nuances comment. I just like to find a better way to prep for that part of the test. Its challenging more so due to having the gun pointed to our head to analyze quickly and make a correct response instead of being methodical and double and triple checking what you are saying is correct. With 20ish questions dedicated to that part its like 15% part of the exam, which can make or break you.
trekkster

Postby kerzzo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:56 am

I think that's the whole point of the ARE 5,0 exams---under pressure and "gun to your head" type of reaction---
COACH's advice seems fair--- everyone encountered these issues and likely no one has a definite answer---and you're right...that's a big chunk of the score regardless of what NCARB says.
kerzzo

Postby tatamin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:09 pm

I did the NCARB Demo Exam Case Study questions once. Now, I'm looking for more samples to practice case study type questions. I purchased Designer Hack Mock Exam for PPD. However, it doesn't include case study questions.

Anybody kow any case study mock exam? Or how can I practice?

-tatamin
tatamin

Postby Sparky83 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:30 pm

tatamin wrote:I did the NCARB Demo Exam Case Study questions once. Now, I'm looking for more samples to practice case study type questions. I purchased Designer Hack Mock Exam for PPD. However, it doesn't include case study questions.

Anybody kow any case study mock exam? Or how can I practice?

-tatamin

This is one of the downsides to 5.0. There is very little study information, in part because NCARB was so slow in releasing information about the new exam structure. Looks like study guide providers are way behind in getting this sort of material published.
Sparky83

Postby Coach » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:08 pm

All case studies do is require you to apply concepts to situations. The information and concepts are no different than in 4.0, you just need to know how to apply them to situations.

In other words, you have to think and not just regurgitate.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby trekkster » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:16 am

Synthesizing the information is easy for the most part, even in the new case studies. The hangup is the information is more varied, and a little buried in my opinion. The exams feel like they are trying to test our ability to be correct not be knowledgeable. If there were more ways to practice the "exam style" of research it would benefit everyone greatly. Not sure how to do that... maybe we only give ourselves 15 second to solve issues in our firms once we open the code books haha.
trekkster

Postby thd7t » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:12 pm

The case studies get a little easier when you look at them as asking "where would I find the 1-2 important pieces of information?" A good example of this is in the NCARB practice exam. There's a question about building height. Knowing that building code and zoning code will govern this is really all you need. The case study reference materials even have enough table of contents info to let you get the answers quickly. They also don't have all of the extraneous info that a full code book does. This way of thinking served me well in the PA exam.
thd7t

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION