Need some advice

Need some advice

Postby rarchll » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:55 am

Hello all,

I recently took SS and failed. Quite disappointed. That makes 3 exams left in 4.0 before the June 30, 2018 expiration. I have SS, BS, and BDCS to go. My rolling clock doesn't expire until 2021 so I've got some time. I just wanted to see if anyone wouldn't mind chiming in with some recommendations. Should I stay and hit the ground running in 4.0 or should I transition? I'm a fan of the vignettes so I'm more prone to stay in 4.0. Also, for the record, I have failed every exam the first time, with the exception of SD, before passing it the second time. I'm also curious which exam I should take next or if there's any preferential order for these last 3 exams. Any help or guidance is appreciated! Thank you.
rarchll

Re: Need some advice

Postby sbyrktct » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:55 am

If you decide to finish in 4.0 (best idea, IMHO... lots of study help and advice available), schedule BCDS and take it asap.
After prepping for SS, you've probably studied 90% of what you need for BCDS.
I took SS first as well and realized that BCDS tested on the components and SS tested on applying those components into systems.
I realized I had just studied the components along with the systems... seemed like it made prepping for SS harder, but it made taking BCDS immediately after a breeze.
After BCDS & SS, take BS... it's pretty much a stand alone exam with very little overlap.
sbyrktct

Postby rarchll » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm

sbyrktct wrote:If you decide to finish in 4.0 (best idea, IMHO... lots of study help and advice available), schedule BCDS and take it asap.
After prepping for SS, you've probably studied 90% of what you need for BCDS.
I took SS first as well and realized that BCDS tested on the components and SS tested on applying those components into systems.
I realized I had just studied the components along with the systems... seemed like it made prepping for SS harder, but it made taking BCDS immediately after a breeze.
After BCDS & SS, take BS... it's pretty much a stand alone exam with very little overlap.

Thank you for the input sbyrktct! I've appreciated your website through this process so thanks for that as well! Yes, I am sticking to 4.0, I feel like my gut tells me to just do it. I'm glad you weighed in on the effects of studying BDCS with SS. At first glance I was somewhat intimidated with the 3 vignettes and wanted to take BS for just having 1 vignette but hearing your advice has proven me otherwise. Thanks again!
rarchll

Postby sbyrktct » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:38 am

The three BDCS vignettes are not that difficult and they give you plenty of time to finish.
Post your practice solutions in the forum and read/comment on others' posts.

Good luck.
sbyrktct

Postby cabara01 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:44 pm

sbyrktct wrote:The three BDCS vignettes are not that difficult and they give you plenty of time to finish.
Post your practice solutions in the forum and read/comment on others' posts.

Concur that the vignettes aren't that difficult, but I do not think they give you enough time. Make sure you practice, practice, practice so that you don't run out of time during the exam and post to make sure you aren't missing anything. I passed everything with level 1 except for the ramp on the first try. I'm pretty sure I made a dumb mistake because I ran out of time. Second time was much better because I practiced alot more (which made me faster) and then had time to double check work.

On another note, you need to watch the time you have left to take the exams. I know it says they sunset June 30, 2018, but I swear my record said that the last time I can take my last exam was April something!!!!! It went away now because I just took the exam and it is blank. Just be aware. Also, I've noticed that the appointments are getting filled up.

Good Luck!
cabara01

Postby Coach » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 am

cabara01 wrote:Concur that the vignettes aren't that difficult, but I do not think they give you enough time.

Some more tough love...

If 2:45 is not enough time you're not prepared.

These are the lengths of my instructional videos:
Ramp: 54 min
Stair: 65 min
Roof: 34 min

That's a total of 2 hours and 33 minutes, and I took my time, talked a lot, and messed around.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby nickedemus » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 am

I'd stay the course. You have time. Don't get flustered.

I have heard a lot of people say to take SS before BDCS. That's probably good advice, but I did it the other way around and was fine. They do give you enough time to finish the vignettes, but BDCS is the overall longest of all the tests, so when you get to the vignette part you are a little more mentally tired than usual. When I finished that test I was exhausted and so thirsty!!
nickedemus

Postby rarchll » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input! And Coach I am planning on watching your videos for sure!
rarchll

Postby rarchll » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:16 am

Well I took BDCS on Friday the 26th, and just found out I failed. :( Would you guys suggest to keep pushing in 4.0 or transition at this point? I"m thinking of biting the bullet and purchasing the Thaddeus or Mitlaski courses for Structures as I am eligible to re-take that exam. I'll come back and visit BDCS again in March. On the plus side, I always seem to pass the vignettes so I guess that's a positive note - being able to execute NCARB's proprietary software. Big shout out to Coach for the videos! They were extremely helpful!
Last edited by rarchll on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
rarchll

Postby thd7t » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:48 am

When you say that you're "no longer elibigle" to take Structures, do you mean that you won't be able to take it before the transition to 5.0?
thd7t

Postby rarchll » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:58 am

thd7t wrote:When you say that you're "no longer elibigle" to take Structures, do you mean that you won't be able to take it before the transition to 5.0?
Whoops, I will edit that, it meant to be read as 'I am eligible.' Thanks.
rarchll

Postby nickedemus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 pm

If you transition, you will be tested on elements of CDS, SPD, and SD again, in addition to BDCS, SS, and BS.

I took the Thaddeus class and found it very helpful. The Amber course for BS was also helpful.
nickedemus

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION