Taking exams "cold"

Taking exams "cold"

Postby mbsasse » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:08 pm

This might be a bit insane, so I wanted to get some opinions. I passed CDS, PPP & SPD a few years ago and then got super busy and exams fell to the wayside. I am making time to take the exams now and was thinking about transitioning to 5.0 and taking PDD and PPD. I am almost 40, have my own company, and have a good amount of real world experience in design, construction and real estate development. I also tend to be a relatively good test taker. So, I was thinking , rather than really studying (as I did for the previous exams) I might just focus on practice questions for a couple and weeks and take the exams without too much studying. Can anyone who has taken these particular exams weigh in and and let me know if you think extensive work experience + question practice might be sufficient to have a chance of passing, or if I am totally crazy to consider this and it will just be a waste of time and money? Thanks!
mbsasse

Re: Taking exams "cold"

Postby Coach » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:01 pm

In your situation it sounds like a reasonable plan. However, take a hard look at your rolling clock. Depending on how much time you have left, hitting those exams quickly and getting exposure to the content could be beneficial if you don't pass.

Coach
Site Admin

Postby mbsasse » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks, Coach! I think I will probably go for it and update this thread when I am through it!
mbsasse

Postby nelsonccc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:54 am

I'm 42 with extensive office experience in all realms of design through construction (started in firms when I was 16). I felt I needed to study even more to do away with the real world knowledge. The tests are so out there with the content and how they ask it that I constantly found myself picking one answer and then thinking 'no, that's what would really happen. What does NCARB want me to answer' and eight out of ten times the right answer was something different. This was especially true for the PPP, CDS, and SPD tests more so than the construction tests of BS, SS, and BDCS.
nelsonccc

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION