Only SS Left...Should I transition to ARE 5.0?

Only SS Left...Should I transition to ARE 5.0?

Postby gnourteinahpets » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:03 am

Hi All!

I've passed all ARE 4.0 exams except Structural Systems. I've failed Structural Systems 3 times now and have to wait till next March to take it again. I'm contemplating switching over to ARE 5.0 and taking PPD & PDD instead since I'm having so much trouble with SS (failed only the General Structures section each time). I've read that there's less detailed SS questions in PPD and PDD. I believe I know CDS, BS, AND BDCS fairly well since I've passed all of them before taking SS.

Pro's for switching to 5.0:
-Less detailed structure questions, and even if I don't know structures that well, it won't be the majority of the exam
-Can finish my exams by the end of the year instead of waiting till next Spring

Con's
-Taking 2 exams instead of 1 (more $$)
-Possibility of failing PPD and PDD as well and then I'm super screwed hahah

Does anyone have any advice and thoughts on this? Thank you in advance!!

*UPDATE*
I passed SS and am done with the AREs! Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice!
Last edited by gnourteinahpets on Fri May 25, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnourteinahpets

Re: Only SS Left...Should I transition to ARE 5.0?

Postby nickedemus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 am

Have you tried the Thaddeus seminar?
nickedemus

Postby gnourteinahpets » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:47 am

nickedemus wrote:Have you tried the Thaddeus seminar?

nickedemus, I watched most of the Thaddeus lectures once...and if I'm being completely honest, I know that reviewing those lectures again, doing more than just the Ballast practice exams, FEMA, BAR, and just starting earlier than the week before an exam would probably give me a good change of passing the fourth time. I'm just wondering if I should take PPD/PDD instead though. I generally do very well with overall concepts, but had a lot of trouble with memorizing detailed facts and calculations.
gnourteinahpets

Postby nickedemus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 pm

If I were in your shoes, I'd stick with 4.0. One test is preferable to two tests, in my opinion. Plus, you only have to concentrate on one subject: structures, and not the whole rigmarole of PPD and PDD.
nickedemus

Postby boops » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:58 am

I’m going to offer a different opinion and look at this situation in another way. Take it for what it is.

Personally, I would transition. The way I see it, you have to wait until March before you can take SS again……. That’s a long time to be waiting and studying material you already know over and over again. In that same time frame you could take PPD & PDD, twice, before it’s even March. Yes, it will cost you more $$, but you get to take the exams now.

How motivated are you to be finished with these exams and to be done with this whole process? Can you be patient for another 4 months and hope you pass that one exam? Or do you roll the dice on PPD & PDD and possibly pass both in one try?

All this being said, DON’T go clicking that transition button. Spend a few weeks researching the PPD & PDD exams and understanding what you will be tested on. Read the NCARB 5.0 exam guide, take the 5.0 demo exam, and read peoples post test mind dumps. Doing this might help you gain clarity about which route to take.
boops

Postby alkali » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:24 am

I would stick with 4.0; this is coming from a person who failed SS 6 times! During each exam, I would grade myself at the end and I would mark the number questions I think I got right on the scratch paper and come up with a percentage score. I tried to remember those questions I know I got wrong and find information related to those subjects and make my own note cards. I made about 300 note cards before I finally passed. SS was also my last exam and I am now a registered architect in my State. You are almost there! I can't speak for 5.0 because I didn't take it but you already have an advantage by continuing to take SS because you will most likely see some of the same questions that were on previous exams you took.
alkali

Postby drummer03 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:41 am

Man! I wish I was in your shoes...I would stick with 4.0. If you have two retake in March it gives you plenty of times (without rushing) to study the material. Study the area that keep failing. If you fail in March again you can potentially take it once more before 4.0 goes away at the end of June. Think about it you have ONE more EXAM left! Don't let this beat you and finish it. You are right there!
drummer03

Postby Coach » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:55 am

Pardon me for being blunt...

This has got to be the dumbest transition question I've heard.

WTF is wrong with you?

Stop whining and pass SS.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby gnourteinahpets » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:34 am

Coach wrote:Pardon me for being blunt...

This has got to be the dumbest transition question I've heard.

WTF is wrong with you?

Stop whining and pass SS.

@Coach, LMAO!! I am laughing so hard right now. Thank you for being so real. I posted this after having multiple dreams about getting my score report all night and finally was able to check it at 3:00 AM (PST)...after seeing that I had FAILED, I couldn't go back to sleep because I was so upset! I then proceeded to stay up contemplating all my options (I really wanted to finish my exams before the end of the year).

After getting some much needed rest, I remembered I had posted this and came back to check today. I'm going to stick with 4.0, buckle down, and study start studying for SS again. Sorry for my moment of weakness (I have no idea what I was thinking! :lol:). Thank you to everyone and their awesome responses!
gnourteinahpets

Postby Coach » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:34 pm

8-)
Coach
Site Admin

Postby nelsonccc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:56 pm

I studied for 154 hours over 7 weeks, Thaddeus all the way through twice. Ballast twice. Kaplan once. AEP three times. I also read FEMA twice and BAR twice. I walked out of the test this past Tuesday still wondering what else I could have done to pass. I won't know for another week if I passed or not but at least I feel like I went in as prepared as a person can get for that test. Hopefully I passed but I would never dream of just studying for a few weeks for this test. Even after all of that there was still stuff I felt I should have known better.
nelsonccc

Postby melliemoe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm with Coach. Take the SS in 4.0. It's one more exam. No new material possibilities. Look at even traveling out of state if it's a case of available seats. You know the material. Step back and go fresh again. You will pass.
melliemoe

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION