Advice

Advice

Postby kganglin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:50 pm

I've been really discouraged lately. Trying to study for my exams. I've passed 3, but have taken a total of 5 failed exams. It's discouraging because I hear about and celebrate with coworkers and others who pass each exam on their first tries, while I just seem stuck. Just out of curiosity, for those of you who are taking the exams....how often did you fail? I know everyone goes at different paces and has different levels of luck. I always do thorough research on what study materials are most effective for each exam, and I have no trouble dedicating time to study.

Am I alone in that or am I crazy? Some encouragement would be great!
kganglin

Re: Advice

Postby Str3tch » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:37 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I've been in your "shoes". I started taking the AREs when it was v3.1 (2010). I passed my 1st section in 2013. After passing my first three sections in quick succession I "hit a wall". Passing the 4th section seemed unattainable. I almost gave up. But with the support my family, friends and colleagues they encouraged me that quitting was/is not an option. I got back up and refocused. Passed section 4, 5 and 6 back to back. Then I made a huge sacrifice...I took a sabbatical from work for 4 months to focus on section 7 (SS). Two weeks ago after 4 yrs and 17 attempts, I finally received my final pass. My point is this...NEVER QUIT. Don't fall into the "trap" of feeling dejected because your other colleagues pass on their "first" attempt. Everyone learns at a different pace. One of the best advice I got was "study at the pace you learn". F.A.I.L. just means "First Attempt In Learning". One of the ways I studied was to focus primarily on completing Q&As (Kaplan, Ballast, Gang Chen, The Amber book, Prepare ARE, NCARB or whatever else I could get my hands on) 1 week prior to my exam date. Now, I not telling you to do what I did (I procrastinated alot). What I'm encouraging you to do is to keep at it...you know the stuff...just don't quit.
Str3tch

Postby drummer03 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:25 am

You are not Alone! I have failed more exams than you have..at times I have felt very discouraged. (I have co workers who have started after me and have finished before me) However I got two more exams to go and I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have invested too much time to quit now...so I am going to continue all the way to end. I would advise not telling anyone at work when you are taking an Exam...trust me it helps! Surprise them when you get a PASS result!

Good Luck!
drummer03

Postby kganglin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks guys! Glad I'm not alone! That is good advice about keeping your test dates to myself. Looking back, It makes sense. There is this underlying pressure to perform well when everyone knows about it and asks how things are going in regards to studying for it. I think it doesn't help either when I am trying to beat the 4.0 June deadline so that I don't have to transition. Depending on my results that I receive this week, I may transition over to 5.0, hoping to alleviate the pressure of rushing to complete in time before the 5.0 version takes full effect. I'm learning it's just not worth it. I am willing to work hard if I have to, but I need to have a life outside of these exams and reduce having mental exhaustion too soon.

It has been hard seeing the light at the end of the tunnel lately. I will keep trucking on.
kganglin

Postby kerzzo » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:19 am

we all are or have been there ...be ENCOURAGED, and hey, some people do pass the first time, some are just BS'ing and of course, didnt tell you the previous times they failed which is what you should do...most people are embarrassing, but the comments here are very valid--keep things private and focus on passing and your capability, do not focus on what the rest does.
never quit!
kerzzo

Postby greek22 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:56 am

I know exactly how you're feeling! I've failed more exams than I would like to admit. It's been a roller coaster - with more downs than ups. Try not to compare yourself to other people and keep pushing! At the end of the day, the reward will be so worth it. "It's not about how many times you fall, it's about how many times you have the strength to get back up!" Stay motivated and keep trying!
greek22

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION