Stick to the Plan or Make the Jump?

Stick to the Plan or Make the Jump?

Postby wws341234 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:00 am

So i'm sure this question has been beatin' to the ground by everyone on the 5 exam plan or just find themselves at the fork road between the 2 versions. So I would like to share my story here, and see if I can get some feedback to my plan to finish this thing.

Just a quick background on my current situation. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, being a father to a 12 month boy and sole provider to my family, I really don't get any opportunity to study at night when I go home. So I usually get to work by 7am and study for a good 2 hours before work starts, then get another hour during my lunch break. At night, if i have any energy left after putting my boy to bed, i'll go over my flashcards or the material I've studied for that day. On weekends I usually try to study around 6am - 10am. Once my boy is up it's pretty hard to keep my study going.

So far, I've passed everything except for PPP, BS, and BDCS.
I've started studying since September for my sixth attempt on PPP coming up in mid November. Depending on my result i'm still pondering if I should transition to 5.0 after I pass PPP.

Scenario 1: If I pass PPP in November 2017
If i pass PPP in November, i have only BS and BDCS to pass before next June to finish my ARE, this is totally doable but it means i'll have to take 1 exam/month from January to April in order to allow 2 attempts per exam. The only problem is, i've tried this strategy last year and I've burnt myself out. So, would I want to transition after i pass PPP?

Scenario 2: If i fail PPP in November 2017
If i fail this exam in November, there's still hope. I'll have to pass BS on the first try in January, and pass BDCS on the first try in March, then i'll have 2 month to study for my last chance for PPP in May 2018. This sounds like it's possible, but for every exam in the past, i've only passed them with a minimum of 2 attempts. So it sounds less feasible than Scenario 1. Would I want to just save my money and just focus on passing PPP in May 2018?

Remaining Schedule.jpg

lots going on in my head now, but most and foremost i'll need to nail this PPP in November.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wws341234

Re: Stick to the Plan or Make the Jump?

Postby nickedemus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:35 am

I don't know what you should do. But I have a couple of thoughts.

If you pass PPP, you'll be facing two tests either way.

You have enough time to realistically complete 4.0. However, it may become a challenge to schedule your tests as the cut off date draws near.

On the other hand, you've already passed half of the Project Development & Documentation requirements, and 3/5 of the Project Planning & Design requirements. You'll have to study for CDS, SS, SD, and SPD topics again if you transition after passing PPP.
nickedemus

Postby Ruby » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:07 am

I say just focus on passing PPP right now and then think about your strategy after. This could (and will hopefully be!) your lucky time to pass PPP, but if not, you're going to have to focus all your efforts on passing that in order to get anything good checked off in the transition.
Ruby

Postby Coach » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 am

Ruby wrote:I say just focus on passing PPP right now and then think about your strategy after. This could (and will hopefully be!) your lucky time to pass PPP, but if not, you're going to have to focus all your efforts on passing that in order to get anything good checked off in the transition.

Yep!
Coach
Site Admin

Postby wws341234 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:10 pm

nickedemus wrote:I don't know what you should do. But I have a couple of thoughts.

If you pass PPP, you'll be facing two tests either way.

You have enough time to realistically complete 4.0. However, it may become a challenge to schedule your tests as the cut off date draws near.

On the other hand, you've already passed half of the Project Development & Documentation requirements, and 3/5 of the Project Planning & Design requirements. You'll have to study for CDS, SS, SD, and SPD topics again if you transition after passing PPP.

You've made a good point on the scheduling challenge. In HK generally you'll need to book 2 months ahead for any available sitting. In that case, i might want to focus on two attempts rather than three, and spread them out more, and I won't burn myself out as much.

Regarding your last point, yes I've also noticed there's a lot of old material included that I've already passed in 4.0, another reason I don't want to transition.
wws341234

Postby wws341234 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:21 am

Ruby wrote:I say just focus on passing PPP right now and then think about your strategy after. This could (and will hopefully be!) your lucky time to pass PPP, but if not, you're going to have to focus all your efforts on passing that in order to get anything good checked off in the transition.

This was my lucky time, and i passed PPP!
Now i have just 2 remaining from now until June 30th! I can now see the end in sight, and I will remain in 4.0 to end this.
wws341234

Postby nickedemus » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:33 am

Great job!
nickedemus

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION