Done! Transitioned from 4.0 to 5.0!

Done! Transitioned from 4.0 to 5.0!

Postby mariop294 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:57 am

I never thought the day would come but I got the word last week that I passed my last exam PDD on 10/16/17. I started the exam process approximately 4 years ago but don't be scared because for two years life intervened and I had to put a pause on my testing. So technically speaking it took approx. 2 years for me to complete my exams which is average. Year One was all about passing SPD, CDS, SD, PPP. The last 3 exam of 4.0 was BDCS, BS, and SS which I could not pass for one reason or the other. The vignettes for BDCS was killing me in particular the roof, BDCS I would come close based on the grading but I must have missed it by a couple of questions and SS was forget it. So when the option to transition to 5.0 came along it was really a no brainer for me. I was happy because it meant going from 3 exams left to 2 exams but a different format. I took PDD and PPD and failed each one, this was very demoralizing. I put in at least 150 hours of reading and practice taking in each time. The tool that turned it around for me was PPI exam prep book. At some point I decided that I had read enough and I should only do practice exam questions and be rested for the test. That was a good decision on my part because I got through the exams with plenty of time to spare to review at least 40% of my answers and change my responses accordingly. I was relaxed and felt that I knew a lot of answers but still were a few WTF questions. In either case I'm done and happy and grateful to all who post to this forum. I recommend the Ching books for construction illustrated and codes illustrated. Read the AIA contracts and do the NCARB practice test. I also used ARE EXAM PREP audio series - I'm a full time working parent so that was priceless to me. Use PPI formerly known as Ballast. Don't give up, its never too late, hang in there, I went thought a lot of FAILS to get to my PASSING grade!
mariop294

Re: Done! Transitioned from 4.0 to 5.0!

Postby ivegotado5 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:51 pm

Mariop294, congratulations on finishing your long journey! I just transitioned to 5.0 as well after failing my first SS. What you studied (PPI and ARE Exam Prep) are the materials I’ve purchased too, so I’m hoping they will lead me to the finish line in the near future. Did you take PPD and PDD totally separately as you mentioned you studied for 150 hours each?
ivegotado5

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION