Thank You to ARE Coach!

Thank You to ARE Coach!

Postby GettingThisOverWith » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:03 am

I just cleared my final hurdle, passed all exams in just over a year. I started this journey in 2008, passed two, failed two, got discouraged, let 5+ years lapse (sacrificing my passed exams due to the rolling clock), and finally got some wind in my sails. I restarted last fall (2016) and forced myself to study in a manner that worked for me.

I'm not on here seeking congratulations, but rather to encourage those folks in my shoes, who have been in practice for many years and have this monkey on their back about getting licensed. I just want to say "I've been there, had life get in the way, had my own brain telling me it's a fools errand and not a measure of how good I am as a person or as an architect", and for the most part I was right, but also, just do it for yourself already...give yourself the gift of not worrying about this step in your career anymore. You know this stuff. You know you are good at what you do. Just get it done. Find a pace that works for you and force yourself to study in a way that makes sense to you.

Thank you to everyone on here who has posted such helpful information, especially Coach...the vignettes have always been a thorn in my side, and it's because of how ambiguous NCARB is about how they are graded, the time constraints to 'draft' solutions, the software, etc. the list goes on infinitely. I'm so glad they've eliminated the vignettes, but at the same time, having finally conquered them, a little sad that soon into the future, no one will know this kind of joy of having been in the trenches, sweating bullets in the windowless, prison-esque exam room, seconds ticking off the clock, then spending a week or more wondering if you checked that one particular piece of furniture for proper clearances. The tips on this forum have undoubtedly cleared up the ambiguity and helped me know what pitfalls to look for, and for that I am truly grateful.

I have a real problem with NCARB shortening the rolling clock for the 4.0 by transitioning to 5.0. Absolutely unfair and ridiculous. You have a rolling clock policy in place, you need to allow 5 years of transition time to account for everyone sitting at these exams. If its an issue of cost, charge more for folks taking the 4.0 exams...problem solved! I really think someone would have a case in court if they wanted to lawyer-up on this issue.

Anyway, peace out y'all. Good luck and fight the good fight!
GettingThisOverWith

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION