Changing jurisdiction upon completion of ARE

Changing jurisdiction upon completion of ARE

Postby skysnowy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi everyone!!! I really need some advice! My board of jurisdiction is California, and I am down to the last of my ARE exams, I had originally planned to be licensed in California, so if I do finish all 7 ARE exams, I would still need to take the CSE in order to be licensed. But, I have left the states to work elsewhere couple years ago, and have no plan to return to work in California in the near future, so I am not quite sure if I should go through the trouble to get a license in California, or to just change the board of jurisdiction elsewhere so I could be licensed once AREs are done. It's already trouble enough every time I need to test I would have to schedule for an exam in hongkong and travel there... :cry: Please advice....!!! Also, has anyone actually changed board of jurisdiction? I heard it can be done but don't seem to find the procedure for this online. Many thanks in advance!
skysnowy

Re: Changing jurisdiction upon completion of ARE

Postby wws341234 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:18 pm

skysnowy wrote:Hi everyone!!! I really need some advice! My board of jurisdiction is California, and I am down to the last of my ARE exams, I had originally planned to be licensed in California, so if I do finish all 7 ARE exams, I would still need to take the CSE in order to be licensed. But, I have left the states to work elsewhere couple years ago, and have no plan to return to work in California in the near future, so I am not quite sure if I should go through the trouble to get a license in California, or to just change the board of jurisdiction elsewhere so I could be licensed once AREs are done. It's already trouble enough every time I need to test I would have to schedule for an exam in hongkong and travel there... :cry: Please advice....!!! Also, has anyone actually changed board of jurisdiction? I heard it can be done but don't seem to find the procedure for this online. Many thanks in advance!

I'm in the same position here, left California to work in HK. Luckily for me, traveling to the test center is just 1/2hr commute away. Before they had a test center here i had to travel back to CA every 6 months (expenses to travel back to CA is about same as to Guam). My friend did the same thing last year and he mentioned you can change jurisdiction after you passed your ARE by writing a letter to NCARB. Not sure on the details but i know there's a way. Good luck.
wws341234

Re: Changing jurisdiction upon completion of ARE

Postby Ruby » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:39 pm

I plan to do this. I don't live nor work in the jurisdiction where I am testing, but in order to get in to test for the 4.0 deadline, NCARB recommended I just stay in that jurisdiction and then apply for licensure in my new jurisdiction once that point comes. So I think it's a matter of what the state you want to become licensed in wants and NCARB just transmits your record to that state upon your say-so. A call to NCARB would probably help you out.
Ruby

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION