Initial license in California

Initial license in California

Postby cianchetta0 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:23 pm

I have a question.

You need 8 years experience or experience equivalence to become licensed. my degree gave my 3.5 yrs, I then worked for 2.5 years, satisfying both my educational requirement (5 yrs) and AXP. Section 117 or the CAB APA says you are automatically granted 3 yrs experience for completing the AXP. So does it matter that I satisfied my educational requirement by working 1.5 yrs while completing AXP simultaneously?
cianchetta0

Re: Initial license in California

Postby gbalaka » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 am

Once you finish up with AXP, it fills in the missing gap. It's not a day for day equivalent.

Shouldn't your Bachelors degree grant you 5 years?
gbalaka

Postby cianchetta0 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:49 am

gbalaka wrote:Once you finish up with AXP, it fills in the missing gap. It's not a day for day equivalent.

Shouldn't your Bachelors degree grant you 5 years?

I have a BA from UC Berkeley, not a B.Arch. So I had to work 1.5 yr to satisfy the educational requirement of 60 months. Somebody at the state board, I literally walked into the California Architecture Board in Sacramento, said that if I used time, let's call it the first 1.5 yr of working, and if I was logging AXP hours during that time, I would have to work longer. It's a little confusing because as you said, the AXP is not a day for day equivalent. She basically said "any overlap in the time you used to satisfy the educational requirement will be deducted from your AXP time".

What's further confusing is that how can you deduct my AXP time when regs say "automatically granted 3 yrs exp., possibly more"
cianchetta0

Postby gbalaka » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am

You're right. It's rather confusing.
gbalaka

Postby cianchetta0 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:37 am

gbalaka wrote:You're right. It's rather confusing.

Yeah, I'll have to wait and see what the CAB says after they receive my AXP and ARE reports from NCARB I suppose.
cianchetta0

Postby Coach » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 am

The bottom line is that you have to document 4.5 years of experience. There is no double dipping.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby cianchetta0 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Coach wrote:The bottom line is that you have to document 4.5 years of experience. There is no double dipping.

That makes total sense to me too, but, I'm having a hard time getting to that conclusion based on California's APA, and all the proposed/amended legislature/regulations. It makes sense to me that they would not allow double dipping, however, at what point could they ever subtract from that 3 years awarded from AXP completion. I'll attach a timeline here:

Work Experience Defined

"Work Experience" may refer to experience that candidates use to meet the educational requirement or the additional three years of experience required prior to a candidate being eligible to take the CSE. For most candidates, the additional three years of experience is obtained while fulfilling the AXP requirement.

Additional Experience for CSE Eligibility

Following fulfillment of the five year educational requirement, candidates must complete an additional three years of education and/or work experience equivalents and successfully complete the ARE in order to be eligible to take the California Supplemental Examination (CSE). This requirement will apply to most candidates in one of two ways:

Candidates who are required to complete the AXP requirement: Candidates will be granted a maximum of five years of experience upon completion of the AXP (min. 3yrs). Verification of completion of the AXP must be provided by NCARB directly to the Board.

My question to you Coach is, I think I'm eligible for the CSE based on the work experience equivalents, not an outright chronological 4.5 yrs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cianchetta0

Postby Coach » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:37 pm

cianchetta0 wrote:It makes sense to me that they would not allow double dipping, however, at what point could they ever subtract from that 3 years awarded from AXP completion.

You're using 1.5 years to get equivalent of a 5-yr degree.

"Work Experience" may refer to experience that candidates use to meet the educational requirement or the additional three years of experience required prior to a candidate being eligible to take the CSE.

Following fulfillment of the five year educational requirement, candidates must complete an additional three years of education and/or work experience equivalents and successfully complete the ARE in order to be eligible to take the California Supplemental Examination (CSE). This requirement will apply to most candidates in one of two ways:

Candidates who are required to complete the AXP requirement: Candidates will be granted a maximum of five years of experience upon completion of the AXP (min. 3yrs).

My question to you Coach is, I think I'm eligible for the CSE based on the work experience equivalents, not an outright chronological 4.5 yrs.

Everyone needs 8 years no matter how you cut it.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby cianchetta0 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Coach wrote:
cianchetta0 wrote:It makes sense to me that they would not allow double dipping, however, at what point could they ever subtract from that 3 years awarded from AXP completion.

You're using 1.5 years to get equivalent of a 5-yr degree.

"Work Experience" may refer to experience that candidates use to meet the educational requirement or the additional three years of experience required prior to a candidate being eligible to take the CSE.

Candidates who are required to complete the AXP requirement: Candidates will be granted a maximum of five years of experience upon completion of the AXP (min. 3yrs).

Everyone needs 8 years no matter how you cut it.

I'm so inclined to agree with you except for this (http://www.cab.ca.gov/apa/ccr/title_16/division_2/article_3/section_117.shtml) (Table 11). I don't want to beat an almost dead horse but let's consider one scenario. Person A gets a 5-yr degree from Cal Poly-SLO and works for 2 years at SOM in San Francisco, completes their AXP. Would that person then qualify for the CSE? They only have 7 literal years of experience, but according to the regs maybe not the case.
cianchetta0

Postby Coach » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:41 am

Here's how I see it.
Apparently, AXP bumps your work from 2 years to 3. Added to your degree, you have 6.5, so you still need 1.5.

Coach
Site Admin

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION