Passed and All done! I'd like to offer some tips

Passed and All done! I'd like to offer some tips

Postby introversed » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:42 pm

I've been testing in 4.0 and I just got word I passed my 7th exam!

Thanks to everyone here for reviewing my vignettes, and for providing useful links to all sorts of online resources.

Here are some takeaways I have from the ARE experience:

Mock Exams (ballast and kaplan) are extremely important, and keeping a tally of your score on those mock exams is just as important. For taking mock exams I made a little excel spreadsheet where I kept track of which answers were correct or incorrect, and had it calculate a score percentage (the ratio of correct answers to the total number of questions answered). My rule was to wait until I'm scoring about 70% correct on an entire mock exam before scheduling a test date with Prometric.

Selection of study material: For each exam I used Ballast as a foundation (read through it first), then branched out into the recommended books from the NCARB exam guide. They typically list between 6 and 10 books, but I begin with the one that's the most "industry standard" with the most rich and relevant information (MEEB on BS, Fundamentals of BC for BDCS, AGS).

Note taking: I did almost all my note-taking in the form of digital flashcards on a phone app (the Quizlet app), which you can also access from a computer web browser. I took notes in the form of entering the information in question and answer form, which allowed me to quiz myself at will on my smartphone. The app is free and allows you to shuffle flashcards around, and highlight the ones you don't know so you can review them later. I commute to work via train so I'm able to study daily on my commute.

Drawing and Sketching: When you encounter diagrams in your studies, I would strongly advocate re-drawing them in a sketchbook while the image is in front of you, and labeling all the parts too. This is especially useful for committing assemblies/components to your memory (many of us are visual thinkers after all). In doing this, I would advise that if you're sketching out a diagram (say a plumbing riser diagram from MEEB), sketch it out "system by system" - draw the waste line first, then the cold water supply, then the hot water, etc. This helps you understand the relationships.

Of course, practice with the vignette software and post your attempts here.

Jenny's Notes is a good resource, but I only used it during the final week before a scheduled test, as a quick run through to see if I've missed anything in my studies. If I spot anything I haven't studies yet, I'll go back and review it in an *NCARB recommended book* (not a Ballast guide) for the given ARE division, make flash cards, and add that to my flashcard study regimen. Don't go too overboard toward the end.

Lastly, I'd like to advise taking it easy in the 24 hours before your test appointment, even abstaining from study altogether. Have a relaxing evening the night before with no alcohol, get a full night of sleep. When you get to the test center, make sure you're hydrated - do not enter the computer room without some fresh water in your stomach.

That's all I got,

Thanks again!
introversed

Re: Passed and All done! I'd like to offer some tips

Postby lili14es » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:22 pm

Congrats!!! & thanks for the tips :D
lili14es

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION