4.0 CDS 3/11/17 - Pass
4.0 BDCS 5/10/17 - Pass
4.0 SS 7/13/17 - Pass
4.0 SD 8/21/17 - Pass
4.0 BS 10/19/17 - Pass
raaz227

Re: Forum pass/ fail rates

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:05 am

For the most part, the small minority of people that pass their first try are proudly posting their results..., but the ones who struggle, aren't posting. How is this suppose to help or get any more accurate pass fail rates?? Seems to be VERY subjective...Especially, when the person only has 2 posts and/or zero credibility.
vrcat25

Postby sb84 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:13 pm

vrcat25 wrote:For the most part, the small minority of people that pass their first try are proudly posting their results..., but the ones who struggle, aren't posting. How is this suppose to help or get any more accurate pass fail rates?? Seems to be VERY subjective...Especially, when the person only has 2 posts and/or zero credibility.

believe it or not, people DO pass these exams. furthermore, people have posted on this post (myself included) that they have failed exams. Good luck on finishing up.
sb84

Postby vrcat25 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:00 am

sb84 wrote:
believe it or not, people DO pass these exams. furthermore, people have posted on this post (myself included) that they have failed exams. Good luck on finishing up.

No need to patronize...i realize people "DO" pass these tests, but my question is what is the rate?? I'm sure i can't trust NCRAP's rates because it doesn't give an indication of whether it was first, second, or third attempt...

So basically the scores are skewed unless the rates are based on "first attempt". Furthermore, the fail rates are in the majority showing that more than half fail PPD and PDD.

How come the majority on this thread pass on first attempt, but people that fail aren't posting as much?? Also, do you know if ncarbz "pass/fail" rate is for first attempts or all attempts SB84?

Thanks for the "good luck"...With over 3.5 years left on rolling clock and 12 tries to go, I'll pass, but i'm just frustrated because i should have passed a long time ago. It seems that many people have to suffer and spend countless dollars and waste countless hours on these bullcrap test...I sure wish they would at least make these test fair, but that will never happen so i'm hoping for luck too....THANKS!
vrcat25

Postby Sarcasmo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:39 am

Vrcat, why would you possibly care what the "pass rate" is? Or isn't?

What a phenomenal waste of time to worry about what the stats of any of this stuff may or may not be. It just does not matter.

What matters is that you need to pass the test. Period. That's it. That's the goal.

Waste no time on what anyone else might've done. Or on your perceived unfairness of the exam or NCARB process. Do you have the nutty idea that NCARB is waiting to adjust the test to your tastes? Because that is never, ever, ever going to happen. Suck it up. Play the game for now. Study. Finish. Live free in an unfree world.
Sarcasmo

Postby charmedserenity3 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 am

Why does it matter if it is the first, second or third attempt to test? All the pass rate tells you is that when you sit down to test that based on others sitting down for the same test the probably you will pass is X percent based on that exam. It doesn't tell you anything about the people taking the test. I'm really good at taking tests, the only one I failed was because of a stupid mistake I made on the vignette. I also have a friend that experiences severe test anxiety, passed 1, failed two and then gave up.
And seriously, you think they doctor straight data? Hey we had 800 people take the test this year and 65% percent passed, let's lie and say it was 72%. I get you are frustrated with the exam, but it is currently a right of passage you have to go through to get through the license so stop letting it psych you out. If what you are doing isn't working then find a new way! I changed my studying styles every exam to figure out what way I would best retain the information. Some tests I studied straight facts, some tests I studied all the applications, and some tests I drew diagrams, whatever helped me retain the information. Figure out how you learn best and use that approach, and keep adjusting your approach until you get there.
charmedserenity3

Postby vrcat25 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:10 am

Sarcasmo wrote:Vrcat, why would you possibly care what the "pass rate" is? Or isn't?

What a phenomenal waste of time to worry about what the stats of any of this stuff may or may not be. It just does not matter.

What matters is that you need to pass the test. Period. That's it. That's the goal.

Waste no time on what anyone else might've done. Or on your perceived unfairness of the exam or NCARB process. Do you have the nutty idea that NCARB is waiting to adjust the test to your tastes? Because that is never, ever, ever going to happen. Suck it up. Play the game for now. Study. Finish. Live free in an unfree world.
charmedserenity3 wrote:Why does it matter if it is the first, second or third attempt to test? All the pass rate tells you is that when you sit down to test that based on others sitting down for the same test the probably you will pass is X percent based on that exam. It doesn't tell you anything about the people taking the test. I'm really good at taking tests, the only one I failed was because of a stupid mistake I made on the vignette. I also have a friend that experiences severe test anxiety, passed 1, failed two and then gave up.
And seriously, you think they doctor straight data? Hey we had 800 people take the test this year and 65% percent passed, let's lie and say it was 72%. I get you are frustrated with the exam, but it is currently a right of passage you have to go through to get through the license so stop letting it psych you out. If what you are doing isn't working then find a new way! I changed my studying styles every exam to figure out what way I would best retain the information. Some tests I studied straight facts, some tests I studied all the applications, and some tests I drew diagrams, whatever helped me retain the information. Figure out how you learn best and use that approach, and keep adjusting your approach until you get there.

And STILL no answer...Here's my question Sarcasmo and charmedserenity -> "is the pass rate by ncrap based on first attempt or all attempts?"

If you don't know it's ok, just trying to get an accurate read. If you haven't checked, that's the title of this thread "Forum pass/fail rates" so apparently i'm not the only one who would like to get an accurate rate. After reading these comments, I would have to agree with you charmedserenity as far as the rates being close enough... I never said they would doctor them and if they were, it would be a waste of time to try to prove this. I already know that the pass rate is much lower, if you look on the site, as mentioned before, it's around half....Furthermore, if it's based on ALL attempts, it's much less than half. Does that make sense Sarcasmo? It's not what i perceive as fairness, it's simple facts. If i were good at passing these stupid test and answering ambiguous question like the pond questions and MANY MANY other "best guess" questions, I would bury my head in the sand as well...I have never had a problem passing or taking tests. It's only the ARE tests that i have an issue with. I think they are tailored so that ncarb makes more money PERIOD. I have 2 tests left and I won't give up like your friend. I'm just upset that the system is so terrible and that less than half pass due to luck and having more/less. I know people that failed PPP 6 times and they are just as intelligent if not more so than many registered architects that have passed these tests... For me, it's a travesty that the tests are so unfair and you guys are probably right that they will not improve questions or address feedback. Why should ncarb care if the tests are fair right? At least they fixed the pond questions, but what about the numerous others? Should i give up on getting an accurate pass rate? You're right Sarcasmo, it's a nutty idea that i would think they would want to fix the problem since they make more money by people failing. I just have a crazy notion that like with code, it's constantly being reviewed and updated and improved upon. i don't get that from these tests...If 30-60% of the questions are poorly worded and i have bad luck and fail a test, all i can do is just reschedule and hope that my luck is better with the next...That's what i did with SPD, CDS, PPP so, why should PPD and PDD be any different right?
vrcat25

Postby boops » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:41 am

vrcat25 wrote:And STILL no answer...Here's my question Sarcasmo and charmedserenity -> "is the pass rate by ncrap based on first attempt or all attempts?"

The pass rates posted by NCARB are all attempts, first and repeat. "These pass rates are by division for all candidates (first time and repeat) who took ARE 5.0."
https://www.ncarb.org/pass-are/are5/pass-rates

Same for the 4.0. "These pass rates are by division for all candidates (first time and repeat) who took the ARE in the last three years."
https://www.ncarb.org/pass-are/are4/pass-rates
Last edited by boops on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
boops

Postby boops » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 am

vrcat25 wrote:I think they are tailored so that ncarb makes more money PERIOD.

I found an article from 2015 that mentions this, but I don't know if it is still accurate.

"The income generated by the ARE administrations only covers a portion of the expenses related to the development. A percentage of the exam fees are supplemented by registered architects who maintain their NCARB Certificate."

https://www.ncarb.org/blog/does-ncarb-profit-are
boops

Postby 198kevin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 am

Just thought people would find it interesting that my girlfriends professional exam requires a higher score to pass each time you re-take. At least NCARB isn't doing that.
198kevin

Postby sbyrktct » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:46 am

198kevin wrote:Just thought people would find it interesting that my girlfriends professional exam requires a higher score to pass each time you re-take. At least NCARB isn't doing that.

You have a professional exam for your girlfriends to pass? Wow... that's harsh.
sbyrktct

Postby zoomer4 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 am

I've been curious to know what they base their information off as well. Doesn't seem accurate, but I just might be really bad at taking these exams.

SPD - Pass
CD - Fail, Fail, Pass
PPP - Fail, Fail, (just took this one again, most likely a fail)
SPD - Fail
zoomer4

Postby nelsonccc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:34 am

Here's my experience. It's long and tortuous but I'm almost done. I've only failed one test in 13 taken tests over the last ten years. I absolutely despise the 5yr expiration rule on the exams, especially combined with a recession. It's a rite of passage and once I sat down and decided enough was enough I've taken an exam every two months for the last year just plugging away and passing (luckily!).

3.1MM-pass 12/31/07
3.1CS-pass 3/3/08
3.1PD-pass 7/14/08
3.1SP-pass 11/10/08
3.1BT-fail 12/8/08
3.1BT-pass 6/15/09
4.0SD-pass 4/8/11
4.0BS-pass 6/16/14
4.0PPP-pass 11/19/16
4.0CDS-pass 2/6/17
4.0SPD-6/5/17
4.0BDCS-pass 8/29/17
4.0SS-pass 11/7/17
4.0SD-TBD 12/7/17
nelsonccc

Postby cabara01 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 am

cabara01 wrote:CDS 6/3/2017 Pass
PPP 6/24/2017 Pass
SPD 7/15/2017 Pass

Update:
6/3/17 CDS pass
6/24/17 PPP pass
7/15/17 SPD pass
9/15/17 BS pass
9/18/17 SD pass
10/6/17 SS fail
10/27/17 BDCS fail
12/30/17 BDCS Pass
1/8/18 SS Pass
cabara01

Postby AJD » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:44 am

All exams were 4.0
5/8/09 SPD Pass
5/5/14 CDs Pass
6/30/14 PPP Pass
7/14/14 SD Pass
8/26/15 SPD Pass (lost earlier SPD exam due to rolling clock :evil: )
10/2/17 BS Pass
11/16/17 BDCS Pass
1/8/18 SS Pass
AJD

Postby Lagertha84 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:13 pm

I have tested 19 times. 5 passes. 1 just expired. I know no one. No one. Who's failed every test atleast once like I have. I'm at the point I'm convinced I'm black listed. No amount of studying is working. Over 10 years in the field, constantly tests. That long in the field still can't pass is worse than never having tried. Younger less experienced are passing with ease. I'm an embarrassment & at this point it's a death sentence. I will never be licensed & I feel like the scum of the earth. Everyone as soon as they pass just say it's time & money, if it was I would be finished. Realizing I'm just mentally not smart enough & that's reality is a crushing feeling.
Lagertha84

Postby AJD » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Oof! That is tough Lagertha84 but please don’t be so hard on yourself. These exams ARE tough and I don’t believe that they are a reliable gauge of one’s abilities or certainly one’s worth. I can certainly understand you feeling down though. Have you considered getting into a study group to help prepare? I think that might be very beneficial.
AJD

Postby Lagertha84 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:02 am

I have been in several study groups who's members have passed no issues. I purchased Kaplan, ballast book & every study practice test, ppi whole enchilada for 2 sections, went to the Funkaar seminars, sat with a structural engineer at lunch for 6 months - I took SS 3x and failed, bought and did Amber, and Thaddeus. I failed BS 3x. Each because of the vignette. I bought all the Dorf videos. Each and everyone. Archiflash cards. My AIA is useless. Honestly, like I said I've heard no one have the issues I have had. I am scared to post because I'm concerned it will probably just black list me further revealing identity. What employer wants a repeat failure? How much do I study? Whats enough? CD's just expired, so unless I pass before June, & transition, I might as well give up. Thought of starting again is maddening. And from track record, I won't pass CDs. At this point, I'd just rather cease to exist I am nothing without license.
Lagertha84

Postby AJD » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 pm

Lagertha84, it sounds like you have done a LOT of prep work. I am very sorry that you are having such a tough time. I will make a few observations and I hope that you will take the suggestions in the supportive spirit in which they are intended.
1) You are NOT worthless because you are not yet licensed. Many employers could not care less about whether you are or are not licensed. If licensure is important for your own self-worth (in addition to work opportunities), I totally get that but licensure is no measure of your worth as a person.
2) Yes, you failed some tests. Okay, you failed several tests but you also passed some! It sounds as if you have, at some point, only been a few exams away from finishing up. Give yourself some credit. You passed some tests in the past. You can pass some more in the future. Which brings me to my next point.
3) My understanding (slim as it is) is that ARE 5.0 is more practice-based than ARE 4.0. If that is true then it could be a good thing for you. Given your length of time in practice you may actually have an edge with the 5.0 exam format, compared to the 4.0 format. There is only one way to find out.
4) It sounds as if the vignettes are where you have come up short in the past. If so, just keep studying, practicing, and posting your solutions for feedback until you have them down cold. The vignettes suck (hard) but they are doable once you known the “rules”. Have you tried Coach’s videos yet? I have not but I do know that many people find them very helpful.
AJD

Previous

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION