Graduate School after Licensure?

Graduate School after Licensure?

Postby jonimperial » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Although I know the answer would really depend on the person, I'm hoping to have a healthy conversation and I would like to know what you guys think about the idea of getting your M.Arch after licensure? why would you do/not do it? any recommended graduate programs? what benefits do you see? Thanks in advance.
jonimperial

Re: Graduate School after Licensure?

Postby gbalaka » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

If you can afford it - why not.

If it's going to cost you $$$$, how beneficial will that Masters Degree be to you? One thing to tell you for sure is "don't expect to get paid more just because you have a masters OR a license". This applies in MOST firms.

Make a list of pros and cons and see if can come up with more pros than cons.......(as you said, depends on each person)

For me, it's a very very hard NO.
gbalaka

Postby nickedemus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:48 pm

I would not do it unless it was completely free and you could continue working while pursuing it. I have an M.Arch. I only did it because I wanted a professional degree in architecture and already had a bachelors in another field. The M.Arch was a three-year program, ensuring that I would return to the work force (and make an income) faster than I would if I'd pursued the five-year undergraduate degree. In my opinion, experience is waaaaaayyyy more valuable than the master's. The master's program was actually kind of silly, to be honest.
nickedemus

Postby Coach » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:39 am

Why?
If you're going to go back to school, get an MBA or JD, or another postgraduate degree that will enhance your career rather than tack on more of the same.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby nickedemus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 am

Law would be a really great add-on!!!
nickedemus

Postby charmedserenity3 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:14 am

I got a bachelors of Architecture (NAAB accredited) but graduated during the recession when there were few architecture jobs. I took a job in rebar fabrication and went to school to get my MBA. It gave me an advantage when competing against new graduates when the market picked back up.

I say if you have a reason that forwards your career to go for it. If you just want to do it for fun, go for it. If you think you need to just because it sounds nice, I would suggest spending your time getting CDT or LEED certified.
charmedserenity3

Postby jonimperial » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 pm

Thank for the response guys! I guess I'm just thinking of ways to beef up my resume and ultimately make myself a better architect. I know experience is key but I also see value in going to school (not a fan of getting debt though.. who is?)

I like the idea of getting an MBA/JD or something else as coach suggested. I never thought of that, I guess I was limiting myself. I do want to own my own business other than my own firm in the future. This is something I would need to look at.

@charmedserenity3 any particular example/scenario where your MBA gave you advantage? any particular reason you got your MBA?
jonimperial

Postby charmedserenity3 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:03 am

When I graduated college I went on a few interviews for entry positions. I had to compete against people with 3-5 years experience willing to take an entry level job and pay. One of those people got the job over me at every job I attempted. I was frustrated and didn't know how I would break into the market as new graduates entered the field down the road. (At this point I didn't have the rebar job yet either). I knew I needed to do something to stay viable and it was suggested by friends and family that I pursue an MBA and find a job in construction temporarily. Temporarily became 2.5 years before the market started to pick back up here and I got a job back in architecture.

The MBA focuses on people management, process management, and how to run a business (including, hiring, firing, customer relations etc). I will admit early on in my career I didn't find too helpful. Now that I manage my own projects and people I have found it immensely helpful in how I handle a variety of situations.

In terms of my career, when I finally went on an interview to get back into architecture, the fact that I was studying for my MBA gave me an advantage over other candidates. What was said to me by HR at my first post-graduate architecture job down the road a few months after I was hired was that my will and determination to better myself in a way that would provide an advantage to the firm I am at made me a surefire candidate. I wish I could tell you that having a degree made my salary larger, but it didn't, it just made me a more viable candidate at a job of my choice. It's true impact won't be until I am down the road a few years and want to be a partner/open my own firm where I will need to know how to run a business. It will give me a great head start.

I hope this is helpful to you.
charmedserenity3

Postby drummer03 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:21 am

I agree with was said that if you are going back to school after being licensed it is best to study something other than Architecture. An MBA is a great idea. For me, after finishing my professional undergraduate degree (B.Arch) I went and got an MLA (Masters of Landscape Architecture) I always loved Site Design, Planning, and Horticulture etc. so I felt that degree will enhance my design skills outside of just building design. I DO NOT regret that decision at all. My MLA degree is a professional one so I plan to be registered as landscape Architect as well (if I ever finish passing the ARE). For the past five years I have worked in an Architecture office and my MLA background as definitely come in play. It also helped me get hired

Unless you plan on entering the Academic Field there is no reason to get an March after licensure. In some colleges being an RA with experience is equivalent to a graduate degree. I work as adjunct professor and a masters was required for that position. They considered my MLA degree as relevant enough to architecture as well as my experience to teach undergraduates.
anyway, that's my two cents!
drummer03

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION