Business advise -Finding hard to get clients

Business advise -Finding hard to get clients

Postby readytopass » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:35 am

Hi Everyone,
So I started my own Architectural firm as a side business few months back besides working currently with another Architectural firm.
I am trying to do marketing either on weekday evenings or weekends but most of the residential clients don't want to spend too much and mostly the project dies after I send my fees proposal.
I try my best to make the proposal at the bare minimum but looks like the market is really tough for me to start.
Can anyone suggest any strategies to get more retail/ commercial work? Do I approach contractors in my area to get retail/commercial projects? Just walk to a GC's office and tell them what I do? Any advise ?
Thanks in advance!
readytopass

Re: Business advise -Finding hard to get clients

Postby nickedemus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 am

I myself am no expert, but I think you're on the right track. I think the key is relationship-building--and hitting the pavement. Talking to contractors is just one of many ways to start building the relationships that are so critical to getting work. I'd look into joining some networking groups. My former boss was part of BNI, and he did get work through that group. I went to a few meetings in his stead, and it was kind of fun. There may be restrictions on membership, though (for example, you may have to be sponsored by an existing member, and they may not allow more than one person from each profession). Also, if you have time to moonlight, why not pick up some side work from other architectural firms? That's another way to network and get your name out there.
nickedemus

Postby readytopass » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Thank you so much, your advise is appreciated.
I wish everyone can share stories of their struggle, specially the struggle to get the first project.
readytopass

Postby nickedemus » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:01 am

For me, the endgame is to run my own firm. But for now, I'm concentrating on learning everything I can about planning, financing, construction, project management, O&M, and running a business (I don't know about you, but I wasn't taught any of that in architecture school). Once I have all that down, I'll start branching out. My preference is to be financially risk-averse.
nickedemus

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION