Struggling with PPP

Struggling with PPP

Postby greek22 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:00 am

I have taken PPP numerous times (too embarrassed to admit how many times) and most recently failed it in the beginning of June. Since I failed it 3 times in a year, I have to wait until November to retake. I have passed CDS and SPD. I feel super stuck right now since there's not much I can do in 4 months other than gradually start studying for PPP again. I was planning on transitioning because I do not feel confident that I could pass 4 exams by June 2018. My score report has been all over the place every time I have taken PPP. It's never consistent however I've always passed the vignette. This last time I got a level 1 in programming and a level 2 in project management. I may take the LEED GA exam to pass time but I feel super defeated and not sure what else I could do to get a pass in PPP. Is anybody in the same shoes? Any advice on what to do over the next 4 months or how to pass PPP? See below for my study sources:

CDS/SPD/PPP Kaplan (readings & exams)
Ballast (SPD/CDS/PPP chapters & exams)
Problem Seeking by Wiliam Pena - First Half
Schiff Hardin lectures & AIA contracts with commentary
Jenny Notes
Caroline Notes
PPP/CDS/SPD Archiflash Cards
PPP/CDS/SPD ARE Exam Prep
Designer Hacks
NCARB PPP/CDS/SPD Exam Guide
greek22

Re: Struggling with PPP

Postby alkali » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:05 am

Failing these exams is nothing to be embarrassed about. Trust me there are many people in this forum that have failed time and time again, including me! Try making your own note cards and categorize them based on the exam content areas. Also go back to the practice exams and just focus on the correct answers in the back and understand why they are correct. Finally put each exam you didn't pass behind you. You are just as qualified and capable to pass these exams as any body else.
alkali

Postby greek22 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Thank you for your input alkali. I have done my own index cards from the very start of my studying and I have taken every practice exam multiple times to the point where I just have all the questions memorized. I don't know what else I could do to get a pass. It's very difficult to move past it but I treat every attempt as a brand new exam and I build up a momentum every time I take a test but I keep getting knocked down. I don't know what else to do!! :oops:
greek22

Postby kerzzo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:22 am

Greek22, hang in there--- I am sure you are not the only one---stay encouraged.
kerzzo

Postby chrisschumm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:19 am

I bombed ppp 3 times & had to wait the 6 months as well. I ended up just saying f'it and crushed the rest of the 4.0's
I personally think clustering the tests & studying is the best approach, I passed 5 in 3 months with about 2 weeks of study per and mind you i'm not a good test taker. I think the ARE's really test your patience more than what content you absorb lol.

Its do-able if you want it to be, set a goal and get'er done!
chrisschumm

Postby vrcat25 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:53 am

chrisschumm wrote:I bombed ppp 3 times & had to wait the 6 months as well. I ended up just saying f'it and crushed the rest of the 4.0's
I personally think clustering the tests & studying is the best approach, I passed 5 in 3 months with about 2 weeks of study per and mind you i'm not a good test taker. I think the ARE's really test your patience more than what content you absorb lol.

Its do-able if you want it to be, set a goal and get'er done!

Great advice! I don't know if there's a better way of explaining it. Chrisschumm is the perfect example of how perseverance pays off. I also feel that these tests have "tested my patience" and not so much content. Your story is very inspirational. Thanks for the great advise Chrisschumm! It's very easy to give up on studying, but it's stories like this that keep me motivated to keep going. For me, it took some pressure off the third time and i think for PPP, this helped me to "move on" and not worry and stress so much about these tests. Sure they are ambiguous. Sure they are not a very good gauge of an architect. This doesn't change the fact that I have to do all i can to prepare and pass them as quickly as possible so that i can have a massive bon fire with all of my notes and study material. (besides books that i'll sell on ebay) You guys have a great summer and keep on fighting the good fight. :)
vrcat25

Postby chrisschumm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:55 pm

vrcat25 wrote:
chrisschumm wrote:I bombed ppp 3 times & had to wait the 6 months as well....!

Great advice! I don't know if there's a better way of explaining it. Chrisschumm is the perfect example of how perseverance pays off. I also feel that these tests have "tested my patience" and not so much content. Your story is very inspirational. Thanks for the great advise Chrisschumm..

Haha well being I've been there in the trenches with you guys so I feel the pain.. specifically for PPP as that was my last ARE..

Since i live in CA i needed to take the CSE, talked with a few architects at my firm and they said 6 months of study time was required..bahaha so naturally 3 solid weeks of after work Starbucks sessions i somehow managed to squeak by and pass the CSE on Tuesday! so im unofficially done cant say "architect" till California collects yet another 300 bucks and sends me my damn number!

now i dont know what i will do with all this extra time... perhaps work on my business plan....hehe
chrisschumm

Postby kerzzo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:06 am

chrisschum, put your investment to get returns now...congrats on the big challenge completion.
kerzzo

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:06 pm

The first thing I'd do is schedule a vacation for completing the are....the second thing I'd do is schedule a vacation for CSE. The passing the ARE is great! the CSE is another layer of icing on the cake. Good job chrisschumm and thanks again for the great advise! :)
vrcat25

Postby chrisschumm » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:35 am

vrcat25 wrote:...the second thing I'd do is schedule a vacation for CSE. :)

Man i wish... Burned all my PTO/ Vacation in Hawaii lol... Here i am working the day before 4th of july... :roll:
chrisschumm

Postby greek22 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks for the advice guys! And congratulations chrisschumm! That's amazing and very inspiring!
greek22

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION