Are 5.0 or 4.0?

Are 5.0 or 4.0?

Postby nelsonccc » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:05 pm

What does everyone think? Take three in 4.0 or transition to 5.0 and take two? Weigh in since I'm having a hard time deciding which route to take. I don't have any test expiring till 2019 and I'm confident that if I stay in 4.0 I can pass the three before June of 2018.

I've got BS, CDS, SPD, & PPP passed. I'm very nervous about structures. I took the 5.0 practice exam and really liked the format and felt it was pretty close to what I do daily at work. Seemed like the case study was pretty straight forward and played well into my 18+years of experience.

Pros of 4.0
-focused content
-I'd only need to study SS and BDCS (I view the SD test as a gimme)
-I'm familiar with the test type and have most of the study material
-I like that I can just focus on Ballast BDCS & SS and Kaplan SS & BDCS

Cons of 4.0
-Though I've never failed a test for the vignette, I do hate them and the counter intuitive nature of the program
-I hate having to study for vignettes and prepare for the quirks and what NCARB is looking for
-I'd have three tests to take
-I'm worried about structures and failing it. My firm reimburses my expenses so I could do Thaddeus.
-A bit worried about the three vignettes in the BDCS after all those MC questions
-I think I'd need 8 weeks to study for SS and probably another 6-8 weeks for BDCS and another 2 or so for SD which would make it late this year before I finish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros of 5.0
-Seems pretty straightforward. I only missed one on the practice test (the structures snow load question).
-I could buy the new Kaplan 5.0 PPD and PDD books and I like the idea of one massive tome to study
_ I would use the Ballast 4.0 in conjunction with the new Kaplan 5.0
-Less focused structures and more broad concept (so I hear)
-Might not need Thaddeus since structures is less of a focus?
-I think I could study for 8 weeks and take PPD and study for another two weeks and take PDD and potentially be done in late August

Cons of 5.0
-I'd be re-studying BS, SPD, PPP for the two 5.0 tests. Though CDS, PPP, and SPD have all been taken in the past 6 months
-I hear the test is very hard and very broad stroke and I have to admit studying Ballast 4.0 SS, BDCS, and BS plus a new Kaplan 5.0 PPD book seems like a ton of material to process but I do like that you can do the two tests back to back (I'd give myself 2 weeks between tests).

I'm losing sleep trying to figure out what to do. Simply at an impasse on what to do next. I need to decide whether to stay in 4.0 and go after SS first or transition to 5.0 and go for PPD first. I see advantages and disadvantages to both options but neither one really stands out as better or worse. I posted the same thing on a couple of the facebook groups and got mixed results with some saying to go for 5.0 for practice-esque nature of the test and some staying to stick with the monster 4.0 that I know.

Any help or feedback would greatly be appreciated. THanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nelsonccc

Re: Are 5.0 or 4.0?

Postby Coach » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:37 pm

Well, you covered all the bases. I would only add that I think you're too concerned about the BDCS vignettes. You should have no problem with them after proper prep,...and since you get reimbursed, my videos will be a big help. ;)

It sounds like the biggest issue for you is SS. So, I would seriously consider taking SS but maybe not stretching the prep to 8 weeks. Study seriously for 2 weeks. If you're comfortably grasping the material, get Thaddeus, and keep going and schedule exam for the date you expect to be ready. If after the initial 2 weeks you're just not feeling it, transition.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby chrisschumm » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:52 am

nelsonccc wrote:
Any help or feedback would greatly be appreciated. THanks.

Having personally started this process with one of my co-workers in 4.0 - i just finished everything in 4.0 & have very little regrets.

My co-worker transitioned after the big 3, and has been stressing & regretting 5.0 ever since - i think its because of the unknowns & lack of study/ practice test material, we have a ton of 4.0 material at our office so i figured it just made the most sense to use what we had... but then again i was on a pretty aggressive schedule & took a test every 2 weeks lol... i just wanted my life back + my fiance was about to kill me because she was soo bored...

anyways my co-worker takes his first 5.0 test next week & i take my CSE next week! yew
chrisschumm

Postby gbalaka » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:10 am

You've taken too many exams in 4.0 to be now switching to a brand new format in 5.0. You will have to study for Structural Systems regardless of whether or not you switch to 5.0. You'll still have to solve problems in 5.0 (don't base the entire exam on the practice exam).

As you stated, SD is purely a vignette...that one is sort of a break (however, do not underestimate the one hour time limit of the Interior Layout vignette). So you only have SS and BDCS.

Just do those in 4.0...you already have the study material...just hash it out and you'll be done in no time.
gbalaka

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION