...And that makes 7 - Passed and Done!

...And that makes 7 - Passed and Done!

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Wed May 10, 2017 10:07 am

I got my last pass last Friday and thought, like others, I would share some tips for those out there still slogging through.

Here's my story: I never intended to become a licensed architect. During undergrad, I was far from the top of my program, and was told by a studio classmate that maybe architecture just wasn't for me, and that I should find something else to do. I fell in love with architectural history and would spend my whole studio time in the library reading. So I went to grad school for Architectural History and Historic Preservation, and intended to go on to get a PhD and teach in a university, doing some research during the summers, writing about 1930s German preservation efforts. After my masters, I was super broke with a ton of student loans so got a job as an Intern Architect, and would take the working time to plan out PhD apps, interviews, GREs, and all of that. During interviews for PhD programs, the question I was consistently asked was "are you licensed?" So I decided to jump into IDP/AREs and just give it my best effort.
(The sooner I finished my license, the sooner I could go back to school.) As I got more into the thick of studying and testing, I actually have began loving architecture in a way that I never really did before. And I did (and still do) really love architectural history, but it's something so much more to walk on site and see something you drew becoming physical. There is something so surreal about helping a church, university, or museum continue their work in their community by helping them with their roof or windows, or an entire restoration.

So do NOT let your past failures get your down! Maybe you weren't the best student in school, or you failed a few exams so far, or you don't have the best support system. This is a personal journey FOR YOU! Keep your head up, keep studying, asking questions, posting vignettes, and you'll get through it. Because if I can pass, I promise you can too.

General tips:
1- No matter how much you study, you're never going to pass if you don't leave some time for yourself to breathe, take a break, have fun with friends and family. Spend time with your support system! Let your mom/spouse/partner/friend tell you you're amazing and believe them! Because this is hard stuff.
2- Exercise. I don't mean become a meat head, but take a walk around the block with your flashcards instead of studying inside. The fresh air and movement does wonders for your memory and stress levels! (I often would ride a stationary bike for an hour at home while going through a stack of flashcards. No way to be distracted, no one around so I could call out the answers!)

Study tips: (AKA: what you're actually reading this post to find)
1- Not every resource will work for every person for every exam. I did use Ballast, Kaplan, Black Spectacles, ... I could continue for the next five minutes. But what I used may or may not work for you. I used a combination of stuff that I felt had the right info to fill in the gaps for me. Your mileage may vary based on your experience, education, etc.,
2 - BEST TIP I HAVE: look at the resources listed at the back of the NCARB guide for each exam. Find them. Use them. Seriously you guys, most of my exams had VERBATIM charts/graphs/questions from the resources listed!!! NCARB is TELLING YOU where some of the questions will come from!
3- Find what works for you. If you're a visual learner like me, draw a picture of what you're reading, find some images. Test yourself on understanding what you're seeing.
4- I believe, contrary to what some say, that testing order for 4.0 matters. It's going to be hard to pass PPP if you haven't passed SPD or CDS. Same with BDCS and BS and SS. You can do it, but it's harder. Form your testing order based on what you're most comfortable with, but also maximize efficiency so you have to study less!

Good luck, you guys! Thank you Coach for your feedback and putting together this forum! Just keep swimmin! :)
corbismyhomeboy

Re: ...And that makes 7 - Passed and Done!

Postby nickedemus » Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am

GREAT work! Congratulations!!
nickedemus

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Wed May 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks Nickedemus!
corbismyhomeboy

Postby gbalaka » Wed May 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Congrats corbismyhomeboy. Welcome to the club!!!

However, it looks like you'll be going back to school now???? Aren't you sick and tired of school, studying, more exams????

I have one supplemental exam left and I can't wait till it's over and kiss goodbye to any additional exams........ever
gbalaka

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Thu May 11, 2017 6:45 am

gbalaka, yes I am VERY tired of exams. IF I go back, it wouldn't be for another year or two at the least. I haven't really decided what I want to do. I like having a steady income, insurance, learning on the job, and that I am actively contributing to something that positively affects a community. But PhD has always been a goal, and who wouldn't want to spend 7 years writing a dissertation?! :lol: PhD is a little different in that it's not so much 'exams' and studying in the formal sense; it's more reading, researching, traveling, writing papers, participating in seminars, and preparing yourself to think on your feet. And if it's anything like a Masters degree, lots and lots of coffee.
corbismyhomeboy

Postby gbalaka » Thu May 11, 2017 9:15 am

corbismyhomeboy wrote:gbalaka, yes I am VERY tired of exams. IF I go back, it wouldn't be for another year or two at the least. I haven't really decided what I want to do. I like having a steady income, insurance, learning on the job, and that I am actively contributing to something that positively affects a community. But PhD has always been a goal, and who wouldn't want to spend 7 years writing a dissertation?! :lol: PhD is a little different in that it's not so much 'exams' and studying in the formal sense; it's more reading, researching, traveling, writing papers, participating in seminars, and preparing yourself to think on your feet. And if it's anything like a Masters degree, lots and lots of coffee.

wow...i'm getting dizzy from all that has yet to come for you (lol), but you seem passionate about it, so the more power to you! You seem very determined.

Best of luck with all that and I hope you enjoy the ride. And yes...lots of coffee.

Cheers.
gbalaka

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION