Pros and Cons of ARE 5 exam plan vs. 5.0

Pros and Cons of ARE 5 exam plan vs. 5.0

Postby denacourtney » Sat May 06, 2017 8:02 am

Hello to all, i am new here so first let me introduce myself. my name is Dena and i am taking my exams (again). i won’t bore you with the trifling details but i am starting over and so i realize i have a choice to make. either do the 5 exam plan or transition to the 5.0 exam and do 6 exams.

I am trying to decide if i am going to do the 5 exam plan (3 exams in 4.0 and 2 exams in 5.0) or if I am going to just transition to 5.0 and bite the bullet and take all 6 exams.

What do you guys see as pros and cons for transitioning and all for the 5 exam plan?

Here is what i am thinking so far:

5 exam plan:
Pros:
*finished in 5 exams=less money and time
*i have passed all of them before
*study material for 3 4.0 exams but the time i get to 5.0 exams study material will be out for that one.

Cons:
*Vingnette’s in 3 of the exams

5.0 exam:
Pros:
*new exam (no bad memories, that one is personal)
*no Vingette’s
*Exam on running a firm that i would like to learn

Cons:
*6 exams = cost more money and time
*New format
*not as much exam study material

is there anything else i am missing in pros or cons for either exam? i am trying to make this decision soon so i can move on and start studying the right exam.

Thanks so much for thinking this through with me! I Sooo appreciate it!

Dena
denacourtney

Re: Pros and Cons of ARE 5 exam plan vs. 5.0

Postby Coach » Sat May 06, 2017 1:50 pm

denacourtney wrote:I am trying to decide if i am going to do the 5 exam plan (3 exams in 4.0 and 2 exams in 5.0)

There's also a way to do 2 in 4.0 and 3 in 5.0.

*Exam on running a firm that i would like to learn

The same material is covered in 4.0.

is there anything else i am missing in pros or cons for either exam? i am trying to make this decision soon so i can move on and start studying the right exam.

Well, you know 4.0. 5.0 will bring back the same bad memories so you'll have to get over it regardless. You really have nothing to lose by taking CDS. You can then choose to continue with PPP or transition. If you take PPP, then you can continue with SPD or transition.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby vrcat25 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:11 am

I'd say it's a no brainer since you've already passed them all in 4.0 and it will be easier the second time around since you kind of know what to expect. I'd at least stick with 4.0 for the big 3. You could probably even double or triple up on them and take them all at once.

I'm a bit perplexed as to why you have to retake them all though. Did you let the 5 year rolling clock pass?
vrcat25

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Wed May 10, 2017 12:02 pm

No one can really answer this for you. It looks like you just have to choose what you want. How did you feel about the vignettes? If you had an easy time, maybe go with 4.0. If you had a really hard time with it, or you hate computers in general, then choose 5.0.

I like Coach's suggestion to start with CDS and go from there. Refamiliarize yourself with the exam and format, etc., and if you really can't stand it, transition. Also, read other people's 5.0 vs. 4.0 posts and see if anything stands out to you or sways you about your decision. Some good points have been made already on some of those threads. Also, Coach is right; from my understanding, 5.0 covers the same material as 4.0, so no reason to let that be a deciding factor.
corbismyhomeboy

Postby vrcat25 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:48 am

I just noticed where you said it was a "(no bad memories, that one is personal)", so I didn't mean to pry. I just think there's a learning curve along with luck for either format, but at least with 4.0, you are at the top of the learning curve. My only concern is that you move to 5.0 and it's a new set of "bad memories". I also agree with Coach about you having nothing to lose by taking CDS.
vrcat25

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION