How are 'Years of Experience' Calculated?

How are 'Years of Experience' Calculated?

Postby danio1011 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out when I will hit 3.0 years of experience per the AXP guidelines. I'm not quite sure how they calculate it...it's not based off hours and it's not a 'You started your AXP hours 3 years ago to the day' either, because if that were true I'd already be there. Instead it looks like I'm a month shy and I'm guessing it's because I spaced a few of my reports around holidays, weekends, vacation, etc. So maybe I submitted just before Christmas and then the next report 'started' in January for example. If that's true, it would mean they use 'days' I guess...?

Anyhow, would love some insight...trying to time it right so I can (hopefully) get my license before our annual salary reviews in July.

Cheers,
Daniel
danio1011

Re: How are 'Years of Experience' Calculated?

Postby gbalaka » Fri May 05, 2017 4:33 pm

I had this discussion with CAB (California Architects Board) this morning as NCARB just sent over my records.

CAB said they'll still put down 3 years of experience as a minimum ,even though my AXP record shows 2.665 years. I've been out of school for 10 years and working in the profession...so that number is just a liiiiiitle bit off.

As soon as i completed IDP, I stopped logging in hours...then it changed itself to AXP...numbers got all screwed up, but i guess it doesn't matter as long as you completed it. If you went to Architecture school, you get 5 years and then the IDP/AXP thing gives you the other 3 years regardless of what your NCARB record states. If you really want to know how they calculate it, you'd have to call them.

In other words, just ignore that "years of experience" section and only focus on completing IDP/AXP.

Hope this helps.
gbalaka

Postby danio1011 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:13 am

Interesting. Thanks for the insight...in my situation I've finished my AREs, finished my IDP/AXP categories, hit 5800+ hours, but it seems like they are waiting to transmit my record based on that yearly thing.

I guess my next step would be call Olympia, WA and or NCARB...
danio1011

Postby seaccs » Tue May 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Washington state requires a minimum of 3 years experience in addition to completing AXP. NCARB counts the number of years based on your experience reports. Essentially, if you have logged hours for a certain time period (exJan 1, 2017 to March 31, 2017 ... i.e. 3 months) and you are a full-time employee, you'll get credit for that entire (3-month) period toward the 3 year total. If you were only a part-time employee during that period, you would only get half credit for that period (1.5 months). NCARB could confirm the minimum number of average hours per week that will qualify you as full-time rather than part-time.

So even if you have finished AXP requirements and have all the additional hours, you should still be logging AXP experience until you complete the 3 years.
seaccs

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION