Which is more difficult? "The big 3" or BS,SS,BDCS?

Which is more difficult? "The big 3" or BS,SS,BDCS?

Postby vrcat25 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:54 am

I know people refer to CDS, PPP and SPD as "The Big 3" because those are the 3 that you should take before transitioning along with the overlap within the 3, but as far as difficulty, would they also be the most difficult? The test rates indicate that less people pass the big 3 than with SS and BS so i'm wondering if those 2 may be more difficult. I know that it's a difficult question to answer, but i'm just wondering if i'd be better off sticking with 4.0 or transitioning to 5.0? I'm comfortable with the vignette's and don't mind taking 4 tests instead of two, but i'm more concerned with the level of difficulty of BS and SS compared to the 2 tests i would have to take in 5.0, if that makes since. Any advice will be appreciated. THANKS.
vrcat25

Re: Which is more difficult? "The big 3" or BS,SS,BDCS?

Postby gbalaka » Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 am

In my opinion, the "big 3" are slightly easier because they have a lot of overlapping material. SS, BDCS and BS are very different exams. They still have some overlaps, but it's very minimal. If you take the big three and you're comfortable with the vignettes, just carry on with the other 4. The SD exam is only a vignette and was a breeze. It just requires practice.
gbalaka

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Thu May 04, 2017 11:07 am

Here is my two cents:

The big 3 are difficult partially because the materials isn't as tangible (SPD is, but not the others) and the questions I got were scenarios where you had to decide the best course of action according to NCARB's opinion. And typically when people take these three, they are taking them in the beginning of their testing sequence (aka: when they aren't as familiar with how NCARB words things or how to think through the problems the way NCARB wants you to.) BDCS, SS, and BS were easier to me in that they were 1) about things that I had some familiarity with already from my work experience, 2) testing on tangible scientific proven information (typically not some opinion NCARB has) and 3) overlapping, but still distinguishable from each other which made it easier to study. Also, by now, you've gone through the ringer with the first 3 exams, so you know what to expect. The big 3 had a lot of overlap so it made it hard for me to figure out what I should even be reading! Yes, there is a lot of detailed information to learn for BDCS, SS, and BS, but I feel like it has certainly made me more confident at my job and when I talk to my MEP and structural consultants. And isn't that what we are really here for??

But obviously you have to do what is right for you and what you're comfortable with.

Also, I kind of wish I had done what gbalaka had done and saved SD for last! :)
corbismyhomeboy

Postby vrcat25 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:16 am

These are both GREAT points, THANKS! I feel like the big 3 should be easier, but because they are more "best guess" type of questions, I wonder if I would be better suited for the more technical questions. I do feel that i've gone "thru the ringer" :) and am more seasoned now with these tests under my belt. I also do like the aspect that the questions are more tangible. This really helps and was exactly what i was hoping for. Thanks guys/gals.
vrcat25

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION