3 Years Later - 7 Passes and Done!

3 Years Later - 7 Passes and Done!

Postby Bailey15 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:47 am

All,

I just want to get some words of encouragement out there because not so long ago I was threatening to never pick up my study materials again! Here is my story:

I am just over 31 years old and started taking the exams right around my 27th birthday in 2013. I started off attempting Structures and failed miserably even after sitting in the Thaddeus workshop for a whole weekend - two other friends who took the course passed on the first try and I was so disappointed! I decided to keep going and gave BDCS a try next, another FAIL. Talk about utter and total defeat!

I ended up taking a break for about a year ... I know everyone says to keep going, keep going, but I took time off from studying anyways. I got my first SD PASS in March, my second CDS in May, third for PPP in October and my fourth for SPD in December of 2014. I then tried Structures again and FAILed. Moved onto BDCS and got a PASS in November of 2015. Two more left ... Structures and Building Systems.

In the meantime, my long-term boyfriend and I bought a house, which we renovated and then decided to get engaged and start planning a wedding. I thought to myself, maybe I can fit these last two in before the wedding? So I started studying for structures before the wedding and for a third time I got a FAIL. I was so frustrated, I thought that structures was going to be the end of me, I obviously wasn't studying for it in a way that would allow me to pass. What could I do? I had too much going on.

So the tests went to the side again as I finished planning the wedding, got married in October of 2016 and started to settle into married life. I decided to try the AMBER videos for Building Systems and found out about mid-way through the content that a close family member had unexpectedly passed away from a heart condition right around Thanksgiving. I had a hard time dealing with the loss and stopped studying. It wasn't until a few months later that I realized, my lost cousin would want this for me, he would want me to live my life to the fullest and not take any moment for granted. Do everything I can and be the best person I can possibly be, and that meant beating these tests into submission!

I signed up for the AMBER video system again and took the test right before my 31st birthday and PASSed - I couldn't believe it. One left, the dreaded structures!

Now, I have had friends and co-workers tell me that the Structural Systems exam was no big deal for them, they had found other tests much more difficult. Of course, I never really admitted to anyone that I had FAILed it three times so maybe if that was known they would have been more encouraging. Regardless, someone telling me that the exam was "no big deal" is probably one of the most irritating things you can say to someone that is in the middle of this process, everyone is different. What may come easily to you does not mean that is necessarily comes easy to another. Do no assume that what you find not so challenging isn't so to the person sitting next to you - but then again, that applies with just about everything in life, right? Not just the ARE.

I signed up for the Thaddeus on-line videos and felt like I was REALLY UNDERSTANDING everything this time. I would underline that 3 time if I could, but everything just started clicking. I am not sure why the first time I sat for his seminar I still struggled so hard, but having the content and completing it at my own pace was a huge bonus for me. I was able to go back and redo certain videos that I didn't quite grasp or reverse when I missed one of his points - which will happen as his style kind of rambles on and gets side-tracked fairly frequently. Compared to the AMBER videos, which are very professional, streamlined and to the point, Thaddeus can drive you a little wild at times.

I sat for the test in early April and found out that I had passed a week later! VICTORY! What a wonderful feeling, I still can't believe it but I cannot, I repeat, I CANNOT wait to get rid of all of my study materials!

To summarize, each of us are on a different path, try not to pass judgement on others for having a hard time. But for those of us that are struggling, do not let the journey dissuade you from achieving your goal of becoming licensed no matter how many of those blaring FAIL notices you get. You made it through school, your intentions are good and you truly do have it in you. Life happens, it's ok.

Now go get 'em!
Bailey15

Re: 3 Years Later - 7 Passes and Done!

Postby gbalaka » Tue May 02, 2017 5:43 pm

Congrats!

You should have a bondfire and burn all the study material. lol

But in all seriousness, you're a trooper. I failed one exam of the 7 and I was devastated (retook it 2 months later and passed). I cannot imagine what I would have felt like if i had three fails. But i'm glad you persevered. Now, go out there and enjoy being an Architect! It ain't easy.
Last edited by gbalaka on Wed May 03, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gbalaka

Postby greek22 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:11 am

Congratulations!! Thank you for sharing your experience!! I found it really inspiring! Life does get in the way. People do fail exams. We all just need to keep pushing and fight until we get our licenses and then even beyond that for the next task in life. Congrats again!!
greek22

Postby Bailey15 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 am

gbalaka wrote:Congrats!

You should have a bondfire and burn all the study material. lol

But in all seriousness, you're a trooper. I failed one exam of the 7 and I was devastated (retook it 2 months later and passed). I cannot imagine what I would have felt like if i had three fails. But i'm glad you persevered. Now, go out there and enjoy being an Architect! It ain't easy.

Thank you, it was kind of nerve-wracking writing this post and kind of being vulnerable, but it felt good getting it all out there. I figured that I can't possibly be the only one!

I actually met another individual about a week ago that is working on their third try with structures and shared my thoughts and experiences as (hopefully) encouragement.

Haven't had my bonfire yet ... my husband says that we can build a new fire pit for the occasion though :D
Bailey15

Postby Bailey15 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:46 am

greek22 wrote:Congratulations!! Thank you for sharing your experience!! I found it really inspiring! Life does get in the way. People do fail exams. We all just need to keep pushing and fight until we get our licenses and then even beyond that for the next task in life. Congrats again!!

Thank you, I appreciate the support! Onto the next life goal!
Bailey15

Postby nickedemus » Thu May 18, 2017 9:21 am

Great job! Congratulations!!
nickedemus

Postby drummer03 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Congratulations!
drummer03

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION