15+ years of procrastination and 7+ months of exams

15+ years of procrastination and 7+ months of exams

Postby jspruit » Mon May 01, 2017 5:13 am

Hello all, I’ve been following on these forums for months and you have all been a great resource for my ARE 4.0/5.0 journey. Passing my exams is a goal that I’ve had ever since I’ve started my architectural college education. I received my final PASS this past weekend so after a few days of relaxing and celebrating I thought that I would jump back on the forums and do a little wrapup on my path.

How I got here: I graduated with a MArch degree in the US in 2000 followed by 5 years of working in the US. I have completed and had NCARB approve all of my hours for IDP while working in the US. Then I moved to Europe where I’ve worked on international projects the past 12 years or so. A few moves around the continent inbetween along with starting a family with three kids and I decided it was time to get done with my AREs as I wasn’t going to get any younger.

Here is my testing path:

CDS- 09/06/16 - PASS
PPP- 12/15/16 - PASS
PPD- 02/23/17 - PASS (early incentive tester)
P&A- 02/24/17 - PASS (early incentive tester)
PDD- 04/20/17 - PASS
I started with the potential idea of transitioning after CDS, PPP, and SPD but when the early incentive offers were extended for PPD & P&A I took a gamble which ended up paying off. I took my exams in two different countries while living in a third country so that also added a bit more fun to the challenge.

What I studied:

I used the following 3rd party study guides:
- Ballast 2nd edition Review Manual = Sometimes tough to read but a great resource.
- Kaplan ARE 4.0 books with study guides and flashcards = The flashcards and study guides worked well for me.
- NALSA flashards app = This was great for on-the-go studying.

I mostly followed the NCARB recommended reading / study materials, but found the following particularly helpful:
- Building Construction Illustrated
- Problem Seeking_An Programming Architectural Primer
- AIA Contract Documents
- Schiff Hardin Lectures
- Site Planning and Design Handbook
- Professional Practice: A Guide to Turning Designs into Buildings
- Building Codes Illustrated: A Guide to Understanding the 2012 International Building Code
- Architectural Graphic Standards
- The Architect’s Handbook of Professional Practice
- 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design

Although the reference and study guides were extremely helpful in this process, I would say that the 15+ years of experience working on all phases of a project was really the best preparation that I had for the what was on the exams. The forums provided a lot of insight and support for how the actual exams and process worked, which meant that going into the testing center each time I could focus on the content and not get hung up on what to expect logistically.

Thanks again to everyone out there – the forums have been great in this process. I encourage anyone that is thinking about or going through this process to just get started and to be positive. I second the advice that many people have about the best preparation for the exams is to actually schedule and take one. It was a strategy that worked well for me, but I understand everyone is different so use the resources and information out there and fine what works for you and then set up a plan and achieve your goal!

Next step is the license application and NCARB certificate – paperwork, fees, and bureaucracy….
jspruit

Re: 15+ years of procrastination and 7+ months of exams

Postby gbalaka » Mon May 01, 2017 11:18 am

Great story and accomplishment.

Feels great don't it?

Good luck with NCARB....they're really really really slow.
gbalaka

Postby jspruit » Mon May 01, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks - It does feel great.
Not looking forward to waiting some more, but at least my hard work is over and it's hopefully just a matter of time, phone calls, emails, paperwork, fees. etc.
jspruit

Postby acswim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:36 am

Where did you take your tests abroad? And if you don't mind me asking it, was it extremely difficult to study for the ARE when working in a country where the practice of architecture runs completely different?
acswim

Postby jspruit » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:50 am

acswim wrote:Where did you take your tests abroad? And if you don't mind me asking it, was it extremely difficult to study for the ARE when working in a country where the practice of architecture runs completely different?

I took my exams in London, Ohio, and Kentucky. I've been working for a European office on North American projects for the past year or so. That has helped me to get back into the US way of thinking (codes, regulations, standards, and test-taking) and also allowed me to take some of my exams in Ohio and Kentucky. It hasn't been easy, but it is possible for sure - I had to recall some things from my experience working in Michigan from more than 10 years ago as well.

Are you also based abroad and taking the AREs? I would occasionally overhear some people at the Prometric Testing Center getting reading to take one of the exams as well.
jspruit

Postby sofiasalvat » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:40 am

Wow, thank you for sharing and congratulations!

Since January of this year I have taken and passed PPP CDS and SPD. Now I am really struggling with the decision of whether to transition to 5.0 or not. I haven't had a horrible time with 4.0 but I am nervous I won't pass BS BDCS and SS by June 2018 as those subjects are much more difficult :? :shock:
sofiasalvat

Postby kerzzo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:56 pm

sofisalvat, I had the same issue with transitioning, but did it after CDS and PPP. I have taken PA and trust me, it is the same bundle of information from all the other 4.0 exams except compressed in three exams. that being said there are chances to passing as there seems to be a variety of questions in 5.0 that I am studying for right now and plan to be done no later than thanksgiving ~ --- wish me luck! I do work 1.5 jobs :)
kerzzo

Postby sofiasalvat » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Best of luck Kerrzo!
sofiasalvat

Postby kerzzo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:41 am

thanks, sofiasalvat. I am testing in July and will add tips to the 5.0 forum that right now is rather empty.
best of luck to you, too!
kerzzo

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION