California Architect for Residential Work

California Architect for Residential Work

Postby gbalaka » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 am

So this may be a very silly question, but in California, you do not need a license to do Type V Single Family Residences permit sets right? So....how does having a license benefit that whole situation? Besides being able to call yourself an Architect and offer architectural services, when it comes to house remodels, additions, TI......how does a license benefit that situation? I thought it may benefit to file a Design Professional Lien (in case you don't get paid by the client), but that doesn't apply to Single Family residences under 100K in construction costs.

So....please bud in your personal thoughts.
gbalaka

Re: California Architect for Residential Work

Postby Coach » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:52 pm

gbalaka wrote:Besides being able to call yourself an Architect

That's not enough?

Also, if you intend to just do SFRs, you'll also be able to do subdivisions where a plan can be built more than 4 times.
Or maybe a client wants to do a 5+ unit condo.
Or a past client wants to build an office or warehouse.
etc
Coach
Site Admin

Postby gbalaka » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Coach wrote:
gbalaka wrote:Besides being able to call yourself an Architect

That's not enough?

Also, if you intend to just do SFRs, you'll also be able to do subdivisions where a plan can be built more than 4 times.
Or maybe a client wants to do a 5+ unit condo.
Or a past client wants to build an office or warehouse.
etc

Thanks for chiming in Coach. I don't intend on only doing SFRs, but that's how i'll start as a side gig and keep my full-time job. It will certainly be a big deal to be able to legally call myself an Architect, but it looks like a non-architect will be able to do what i'll end up doing. I also plan to start a business and use the term "architect" in the title...you know, since i'll have a license.

I'm curious to know if the general public even cares if the designer is licensed or not (obviously, a design "professional" will be licensed). I would think most home owners go straight to a contractor and they will have an in-house draftsman...something like that.

I've actually never even done a house remodel. The offices i've worked for mostly did retail projects abroad and our drawings were at a very detailed DD level (borderline Construction Documents) and we'd hand them over to a local firm in India or China or wherever. So i was never involved with submitting plans to the city, etc. I don't even know at which point drawings are stamped and by who.

So let's say I do a house remodel or addition in LA to pull a building permit...will I be required to stamp the drawing? I am not familiar with the process. Is there a post on here that sort of describes the process?

I plan to do a house addition of my own house to get my feet wet upon getting my license. I guess you can say I plan to be my own first client.
gbalaka

Postby standard » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:45 pm

I don't think the general public even knows that you can't call yourself an architect without having a license. I think it's more like "You design buildings for a living - then you're an architect."

In my first weeks in the "business" my boss left me at the building dept to fend for myself. I was scared as heck.

You can just call the building dept and ask about the steps. Everyday homeowners do it all the time. Look up your local building dept website and they often have a good amount of infomation. Make sure you understand your zoning, that's usually online too. Talk to the planners if you have questions.

You're only required to have a licensed professional according to the California APA. But again you can always talk to the building dept for detailed questions.
standard

Postby gbalaka » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 am

standard wrote:I don't think the general public even knows that you can't call yourself an architect without having a license. I think it's more like "You design buildings for a living - then you're an architect."

In my first weeks in the "business" my boss left me at the building dept to fend for myself. I was scared as heck.

You can just call the building dept and ask about the steps. Everyday homeowners do it all the time. Look up your local building dept website and they often have a good amount of infomation. Make sure you understand your zoning, that's usually online too. Talk to the planners if you have questions.

You're only required to have a licensed professional according to the California APA. But again you can always talk to the building dept for detailed questions.

Thanks for the advice. I figured i'd just have to dive in and explore all the building department has to offer.

Random question, if you have no prior experience with residential work, how does an Architect come up with a cost estimate for a design without the input of a contractor? Is there some rule-of-thumb cost per square foot to use for a remodel...or an addition....or kitchen renovation? Obviously, it'll come down to quality of the work and so on and so forth. I wonder if there's a chart out there that an architect can use (for residential work).
gbalaka

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION