Failed PPP 5th time-Strategy Moving Forward?

Failed PPP 5th time-Strategy Moving Forward?

Postby huntch3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 am

Hi all,

I just found out that I failed PPP for the 5th time. I'm discouraged but not going to give up despite having a little over a year to finish 4 exams.
I passed SPD, CDS and SD within 1 year, without any problem but have been stuck on this one.

For the tests that I passed, I studied using a combo of Ballast and Kaplan, along with Fundamentals of Building and Construction for other topics that I needed clarification on. Im not looking forward to studying 6 different books in hopes of hitting the subject material, and think that it would be better to focus on 2 or study sources, do you agree?

I'm planning on taking BDCS next.

thanks,
huntch3

Re: Failed PPP 5th time-Strategy Moving Forward?

Postby sb84 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:33 am

depends on what areas your failing on. let us know what areas you have not done well on and youll get better input. sorry about the bad news. keep ur head up
sb84

Postby huntch3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:48 am

Thanks,

The frustrating thing is the areas I didn't pass this time, I passed the other times but the one thing that I consistently fail is the vignette which is boggling my mind.
This particular time, I got a "2" score in programming and analysis, and a "3" in Project & Practice Management, and vignette.

I will do more research, but I have no idea what happened with the vignette...it must be some very simple critical mistake I dont know Im making.
huntch3

Postby huntch3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:00 am

I forgot to mention that I did study the architects handbook of professional practice, I guess the concepts didn't stick.
Is there a better source for the programming and project/practice management material?
huntch3

Postby sb84 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am

i can tell you this..post your vignettes here and google plus for feedback...5 fails is hard to swallow, but 5 fails and never passing the vignette is mind boggling to me. without posting you may be making mistakes that you dont konw are mistakes. for MC try black spectacles. i found them very good (although expensive) for SPD and PPP mc..
sb84

Postby huntch3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks, I agree. Ithought the vignette was too easy and that I was doing the right thing but not reading carefully.
I'll take a look at black spectacles thanks.
huntch3

Postby gbalaka » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:04 pm

huntch3 wrote:Thanks, I agree. Ithought the vignette was too easy and that I was doing the right thing but not reading carefully.
I'll take a look at black spectacles thanks.

Make sure you have at least watched this and do not make any critical errors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btQ9sWuCgVE
gbalaka

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Have you tried calling NCRAB about this? It really sounds like the tests have gotten harder recently. In fact, I've heard many people failing, but i haven't heard about anybody passing PPP recently. I was surprised the last time i took it at how subjective the questions were and it was more difficult than my previous two attempts and i did WORSE. There's no disputing the obvious pattern. I didn't have much much trouble passing CDS and SPD, but PPP is pretty much impossible with way too many WTF questions. It's sad to say, but maybe they are making the tests more difficult so that people transition. Programming, Planning and Practice really should be way one of the easier tests, considering the content is very straight forward. The tests aren't aligning with the content form me. In fact, the questions are VERY obscure. I agree with sb84 that it's pretty mind bogging to have failed the vignette 5 times. Have you ever passed all MC for any of your attempts? Regardless, don't give up. It's not just you. This test is much more difficult than it needs to be, but one of thes attempts, the stars will hopefully align and will get a decent test with a decent set of MC and a decent vignette.
vrcat25

Postby tmston2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 am

Have you tried calling NCRAB about this?

I did that after failing 4 exams in a row, I would have been better off talking to a parked car! atleat then I could have kicked it
tmston2

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 am

My opinion is that you should move on to BDCS, BS, and SS. Come back around to PPP once your head is cleared and maybe you've gotten more knowledge down from some of the other exams. Thinking back to PPP and BDCS questions that I had that were complete WTFs, they were all questions that were answered in study material for a different test that I hadn't taken yet. It seems like a waste of time to keep spinning your wheels on PPP (and I'm sure you're only growing more and more frustrated) when you have three others on the back burner that you could be knocking out of the park.

No matter what you choose, keep charging ahead!
corbismyhomeboy

Postby chrisschumm » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:03 am

I bombed PPP 3 times now (so i had to wait 6 months to retake, of course ppp was my last to transition to 5.0, so i just took all the 4.0s to keep my head in the game) ...and if i pass SS next Monday ppp will be my last test lol... no pressure right!? What I have found (at least on all the other tests i have passed) has been to read through your kaplan/ballast, then archiflash, only focus on the cards with terms that you dont know already that way your not wasting time - then do practice quizzes like crazy (the more the better that way you dont memorize the questions/answers) i feel ballast practice quizzes are way more intuitive and informative, also i found that designerhacks online quizzes (choice of 10, 25 and 100 question test quizzes) are super convenient because they score themselves and also tell you what divisions you did good/bad in so you can focus your studies. As far as vignettes go - Coach's videos helped me out alot as far as tips & tricks that make finding the solutions less irritating than they already are, i feel the youtube & ncarb videos of the vignettes suck and are totally misleading and should be avoided.

Good luck! - i take my PPP retake 5/12!
chrisschumm

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION