Do you have a part-time gig?

Do you have a part-time gig?

Postby tmston2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:46 am

Do you have a part-time gig? and if so what is it if you dont mind sharing.
Thanks
tmston2

Re: Do you have a part-time gig?

Postby nickedemus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 am

Time permitting, I measure and model buildings (usually residences) for anyone who needs as-built drawings. I usually also get sucked into modifying the model as per design requirements and producing construction drawings. But my favorite part really is documenting the existing conditions.
nickedemus

Postby chrisschumm » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Misc. Welding/ fabricating, beekeeping, Prior to ARE studies..I would take on a few small residential projects every year for travel/ fun money.
Now that i live in coastal CA... i'm not as motivated to do residential... at least not till i'm licensed lol..
chrisschumm

Postby cafefille » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 am

Do full time jobs usually allow part time gigs? My firm "discourages" other architectural work as it's in competition with the firm, from what I've heard from coworkers...

I have a total offshoot of a part time job. I use my Adobe skills & illustration to make children's books for a small company.
cafefille

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 am

Yeah my firm doesn't allow side gigs unless they are pre-approved by the owner of the firm. Most of the side stuff people go after is residential stuff for family/friends or code reviews for old clients prior to joining the firm. (AKA: all stuff that my firm doesn't do.)

I almost had a side gig teaching SAT test prep courses for Kaplan, but I decided to move cities at the last minute and had to quit.
Cafefille, how did you get that job?! That sounds AWESOME!
corbismyhomeboy

Postby cafefille » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:05 am

I actually got fed up of making no income during grad school, and I was the loser that loved reading the student newspaper. One day I saw an ad for an illustrator in there, & jumped on it. It's nice to make extra income no matter what you do, just so your head isn't filled with architecture 24-7.
cafefille

Postby tmston2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:59 am

guess I was thinking "any" part ime gig, not only architecture or drafting.
4yrs ago I use to work security at a bar on the weekends. got paid $100 cash or for 4-5hours of checking i.d.'s, moving a few boxes
and dealing with drunk people, you would think guys would be the biggest issue but really it was the girls.
Lately Ive been, thinking of picking the job back up and was wondering what others do for partime work?
tmston2

Postby Coach » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:41 am

If you have any serious hobbies or outside interests, look there first.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby nickedemus » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:42 pm

tmston2 wrote:guess I was thinking "any" part ime gig, not only architecture or drafting.

I occasionally muck stalls, feed, medicate, and turn horses out to pasture on occasion. And I tack them up for lessons.
nickedemus

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION