Happy Dance

Happy Dance

Postby nickedemus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Passed my final exam :) :) :)

Now it's on to the rough and uncertain road of figuring out which frickin form they need me to fill out to apply for the actual license with the State of New Jersey. There are like, NO instructions. The closest thing I can find is a "Licensure by Credentials" form. I suspect this form can also be used for regular application. If I find out anything useful, I'll make a post about it.

Anyhoo, here's what I found REALLY helpful:

++ Thaddeus (wonderful)
++ Amber (very good)
++ Funkaar Seminar (very good)
++ Annotated AIA contracts (mainly for CDS and PPP)
++ Practicing the vignettes (even mindlessly so. Just get it into muscle memory. Also set myself up with a pencil and a little scrap paper booklet like they give you in the test)
++ MY BOYFRIEND -- He washed the dishes, did the laundry, cleaned, cooked, shopped, packed my lunch. Basically, he gave me the gifts of time and peace of mind. Good man.

Here's what I did not find helpful:

++ All of Ballast (Soooooooooo verbose. Abandoned completely after PPP with great feelings of guilt)
++ Kaplan (barely bothered to look at it)
++ The various "notes" documents that are floating around (Jenny's comes to mind, but I know there are others. I totally respect the awesome commitment and level of effort that went into these things, but they are not for me. Too much text in them, too much ADHD in me)
++ NALSA Archiflash (information overload, much of which was totally irrelevant. My time is too precious for that shiat)

For me, the key was to simplify concepts and then break them down further into easily digestible bits. I made a METRIC TON of flash cards. I had a whole process of cutting them into quarters and formulating questions that had single-word answers. I love them, and I also can't wait to burn them. Or build a card house out of them. Then burn them.

The whole process took me about a year. I began studying on April 1, 2016 and my last test was on April 7, 2017. So, if you want to take the 4.0 test, YOU HAVE TIME. Even if you haven't started yet. Just buckle down. I failed two exams and still got it done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nickedemus on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickedemus

Re: Happy Dance

Postby standard » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:11 pm

I think the picture of Snoopy says it all. Congrats!

I find it really interesting because I would disagree about several items you mentioned - Ballast, Archiflash, Jennys notes, etc - but you found what worked for you. I think making the flashcards was key. And the learning method of "free recall" (using flashcards for example) is what really sinks things down. I am way too lazy to ever make my own flashcards - but I know it's a solid method.
standard

Postby nickedemus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:12 am

Thanks!

I think it boils down to what works for each person. I personally learn best through experience, and I actually flourish under pressure. I also need very sparse guidelines so that I can poke around and figure things out for myself (a.k.a., "just the facts, ma'am."). Basically, I need to make my own order. That's taken me years to understand about myself, but it's how I do best (and where I am happiest). My boyfriend, on the other hand, would be devouring those books and note compilations. We're just wired differently!

And believe me, I had to work through some serious doubts about NOT using Ballast, Archiflash, Jenny's notes, etc., because I felt like that's what I was SUPPOSED to do. But I'm used to working through that sort of thing, having been through conventional, classroom-based schooling my whole life. Through years of trial and error, I have proven to myself that my brain works ok, and I can put the non-conformance stress on the back burner.

I'm usually flashcard-averse, but somehow the process kind of happened and YES "free recall" developed out of that! I now almost like flashcards.
nickedemus

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 am

nickedemus wrote:Through years of trial and error, I have proven to myself that my brain works ok, and I can put the non-conformance stress on the back burner.

^^ Can I get a like button for this sentiment?! Because YES!

Congrats Nickedemus!! I love your Snoopy image! I CANNOT wait until I'm in your shoes with the last one finished. (Crossing my fingers it's at the end of this month.)

I totally agree with you about the study stuff. I'm planning to write a post about my experience when I finish. I used Jenny's notes only for my first exam, which I failed, partly because I was just using way too many resources (because that's what I thought you're supposed to do) that I got confused about the concepts! Since then, I briefly glance through and look for any helpful graphics/diagrams/charts, but otherwise, I don't use them.

And as weird as it may sound, I typically make my own flashcards, but then I NEVER end up studying them! I end up just looking at the Archiflash ones anyway. :? I've come to accept that it's a weird thing I do, and for some reason, it seems to be ok.
corbismyhomeboy

Postby nickedemus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:52 am

Thank you!!! Weird brains UNITE!! (normal brains are cool too, of course :) )

I didn't usually get to review my note cards either (which caused me even more stress) but it seems that just the process of thinking out the question/answer strategy helped to solidify the important part of the concept in my mind.

And I didn't totally shun Ballast or Jenny's notes and all of that other stuff. In the beginning I really tried to use those things. But after the first test, I just sort of departed from them (and took on feelings of guilt and dread).

Fingers crossed for you, corbismyhomeboy!! Kill that last test!!
nickedemus

Postby gbalaka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:12 am

Congratulations!

I actually used Studyblue to crate flashcards for my last two exams. It's a free membership and you make make as many of your own flashcards as you want. You only pay if you want to look at other people's flashcards. (not that you care at this point)

You're lucky that you're in NJ. You don't have to that that "extra" exam.

I just finished up with AREs a month ago and need to take the CSE (in California). THEN and only THEN can i do the Happy Dance. lol
gbalaka

Postby nickedemus » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Thank you!

gbalaka wrote:I actually used Studyblue to crate flashcards for my last two exams. It's a free membership and you make make as many of your own flashcards as you want. You only pay if you want to look at other people's flashcards. (not that you care at this point)

I haven't heard of that, but it sounds interesting. Might use it if I go for my planning license.

gbalaka wrote:You're lucky that you're in NJ. You don't have to that that "extra" exam.

I just finished up with AREs a month ago and need to take the CSE (in California). THEN and only THEN can i do the Happy Dance. lol

Good for you!! I'm actually considering taking that exam. But that'll be a bit into the future. I forgot that Californians are pretty much stuck with it. Boo!
nickedemus

Postby phlRED » Wed May 17, 2017 2:54 pm

I just got my final exam result - PASS! I too will be registered in NJ and couldn't find any information myself other than the form to define the name you want on your stamp? Please comment if you've made any headway! Thank you!
phlRED

Postby nickedemus » Thu May 18, 2017 4:37 am

phlRED wrote:I just got my final exam result - PASS! I too will be registered in NJ and couldn't find any information myself other than the form to define the name you want on your stamp? Please comment if you've made any headway! Thank you!

Congratulations phlRED!!!

It turned out to be the application that I highlighted in the image below. Just a month ago, it said only "Licensure by Credentials," so I was totally confused. But when I read through it, it did address NJ license application. And now it's labelled more clearly so it's a non-issue.

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/arch/P ... tions.aspx
http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/arch/a ... ntials.pdf

I was prepared for an arduous undertaking, but the NJ State Board has actually been very helpful during this whole process. I remember them being pretty efficient when I applied to take the AREs last year, too.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nickedemus

Postby phlRED » Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 am

this is SO HELPFUL thank you so much!!
phlRED

Postby nickedemus » Thu May 18, 2017 2:31 pm

You're welcome!
nickedemus

Postby sofiasalvat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:05 am

nickedemus wrote:I had a whole process of cutting them into quarters and formulating questions that had single-word answers. I love them, and I also can't wait to burn them. Or build a card house out of them. Then burn them.

HAHA, that's hilarious. Can't wait to be at that point 8-)

Also, thank you for this:

nickedemus wrote:The whole process took me about a year. I began studying on April 1, 2016 and my last test was on April 7, 2017. So, if you want to take the 4.0 test, YOU HAVE TIME. Even if you haven't started yet. Just buckle down. I failed two exams and still got it done.

I started this process end of January 2017 and so far I have passed CDS PPP and SPD first try. My plan is SS, BDCS (as advised by Thaddeus at this seminar in March), then BS, and finally SD. I had been going back and forth on whether to transition to 5.0 or not because I was nervous about the 4.0 time constraint, but this made me feel like it's possible. :D
sofiasalvat

Postby nickedemus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:43 am

sofiasalvat wrote:I started this process end of January 2017 and so far I have passed CDS PPP and SPD first try. My plan is SS, BDCS (as advised by Thaddeus at this seminar in March), then BS, and finally SD. I had been going back and forth on whether to transition to 5.0 or not because I was nervous about the 4.0 time constraint, but this made me feel like it's possible. :D

You passed three tests in just a few months, so you definitely have what it takes to study for and pass the last four over the next 11 months.

I thought about going to that March Thaddeus seminar by the way--it was in NY, right? But I wanted to take the test in December, so I ended up doing the online seminar. Still worth it!
nickedemus

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 am

If you can do the Thaddeus course online, definitely recommended over the in person session! (I did the SS one not BDCS.) You can replay the videos for concepts you're not clear on, and there is some extra content online that he says he doesn't have time to get to during the in person class. Plus, you can work in your PJs or during your lunch break at work. :D

You can definitely do it if you've passed so many exams so quickly! No sweat!
corbismyhomeboy

Postby nickedemus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:26 pm

For anyone who is going to get (or is in the midst of getting) licensed in NJ, I have to say the process with the state was pretty smooth. I learned that the State Board of Architects meets once a month (mid-month) to review applications, etc. I heard from the Board fairly quickly after I submitted my application. Maybe 1-2 weeks, which also suggested that NCARB transmitted my record to the state in a timely manner.

The process was as follows:
1. I filled out and submitted the application for registration as an architect.
2. The Board reviewed my application.
3. I received a letter from the Board stating that I was granted a certificate of license, along with other pertinent information.
4. I filled out a licensing form and sent in a check for $160 to cover the cost of my certificate of license, the professional seal press, and the privilege to practice until 2019.
5. After cashing my check, the Board sent a letter containing my license number and additional information (like what to do if I need to seal drawings before I receive my seal press).

The only hitch was, they sat on my check for a month before cashing it. I have no idea why. However, they were pretty responsive throughout this whole experience, including when I submitted my application to begin testing. It didn't always seem like they were going to help, but they did.
nickedemus

Postby nickedemus » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:42 am

I finally got my stamp and my license certificate (not to be confused with NCARB Certificate). It took about a year to get everything.

For anyone testing in NJ, here's the time frame:

April 7, 2017: Received notice that I passed my test.
July 17, 2017: Received license from NJ
December 23, 2017: Received stamp/seal
March 15, 2018: Received license certificate.
nickedemus

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION