AIA Salary Tool

AIA Salary Tool

Postby are15 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:10 am

Hi all,

I was just wondering how accurate you all believe this tool to be when you put in your own title/region?
The reporting pool seems small which may have skewed results. According to the tool I'm underpaid so just wondering what other people think.

http://info.aia.org/salary/salary.aspx

Thanks!
are15

Re: AIA Salary Tool

Postby PEARLDRUMS » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:59 am

Good Question.... Here is my thought. In the real world no one is just in one box. I think the key to salary is being able to move around. Good Luck with getting your current employer to increase your salary
PEARLDRUMS

Postby ekelsey15 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:18 am

I haven't looked at what the AIA defines as each of those positions but if I had to guess what mine was it would be the Unregistered below architect 1... Which is pretty close to what I get paid, but with the additional stuff like bonus and incentives I make a little more than that...
ekelsey15

Postby are15 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:27 am

ekelsey15 wrote:I haven't looked at what the AIA defines as each of those positions but if I had to guess what mine was it would be the Unregistered below architect 1... Which is pretty close to what I get paid, but with the additional stuff like bonus and incentives I make a little more than that...

When you select the position title it'll pop up a definition below. Just so ya know.
For what you say you selected: "Position Description: Five or more years of experience, unlicensed design professional who exercises independent judgment in evaluation, selection, and use of standard techniques, solves problems when encountered, and receives guidance on complex projects."
are15

Postby ekelsey15 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:31 am

Yeah. I didn't look at all of that, just the numbers ha. But I would say that is a pretty close description. Not quite 5 years but close and the dynamic in the office isn't quite as described but again fairly close..
ekelsey15

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:11 am

I agree with Pearl, it's hard to really know what box you fit in, if you fit in one at all. I know at my firm, things can really get confusing in terms of job titles, etc., because in anticipation of licensure, they let you begin to take on more responsibility even though your job title is still the 'intern' for legal reasons. But they want you to feel comfortable when you are licensed that you can fulfill a new role and you aren't just launched into something you aren't prepared for.

I know this is a little off-topic but... Personally, I'm paid way less than the salary tool says, but I don't necessarily mind because I have job security, bonuses, a flexible work schedule when needed, great coworkers/bosses, transparency, and mostly great projects. I'd rather be working in a firm that I love, even if it means getting paid less, than hating going to work everyday with sucky people/projects. So I guess it's kind of a take it or leave it scenario.
corbismyhomeboy

Postby are15 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am

corbismyhomeboy wrote:I know this is a little off-topic but... Personally, I'm paid way less than the salary tool says, but I don't necessarily mind because I have job security, bonuses, a flexible work schedule when needed, great coworkers/bosses, transparency, and mostly great projects. I'd rather be working in a firm that I love, even if it means getting paid less, than hating going to work everyday with sucky people/projects. So I guess it's kind of a take it or leave it scenario.

Very good points. I love my job, firm, and coworkers. We get treated well and get appropriate bonuses, great insurance, 401k, etc etc. So maybe it all evens out when you factor that stuff in. Also, I DID get a substantial raise when I officially got licensed, which I understand is not necessarily the norm. I was just curious what other people felt of this "tool." Thanks!
are15

Postby unoudid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:03 pm

I'm in between the unlicensed architect 2/3 (9 years experience). Basically getting the same as what they have for the unlicensed architect 3 salary & compensation wise.
unoudid

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:56 pm

are15 wrote:
corbismyhomeboy wrote:I know this is a little off-topic but... Personally, I'm paid way less than the salary tool says, but I don't necessarily mind because I have job security, bonuses, a flexible work schedule when needed, great coworkers/bosses, transparency, and mostly great projects. I'd rather be working in a firm that I love, even if it means getting paid less, than hating going to work everyday with sucky people/projects. So I guess it's kind of a take it or leave it scenario.

Very good points. I love my job, firm, and coworkers. We get treated well and get appropriate bonuses, great insurance, 401k, etc etc. So maybe it all evens out when you factor that stuff in. Also, I DID get a substantial raise when I officially got licensed, which I understand is not necessarily the norm. I was just curious what other people felt of this "tool." Thanks!

I'm glad you posted this topic because I definitely thought no one got paid what this says. I definitely DO NOT get paid the amount it says for my level and responsibilities. Interesting how big cities affect the state/region. For example, NYC's rates and the amount of people at these rates has to slant the median/average salaries for all of NY state.
corbismyhomeboy

Postby chrisschumm » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:28 am

Wait what?! we get paid to do this work?!!! duped again!! lol
chrisschumm

Postby seaccs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:21 am

keep in mind that the numbers you're getting are for a region. If you work in a large city, the numbers for that city might be higher than the average for a region. Conversely, if you work outside of a large city, the numbers for the region might be higher than if they were available for your specific location.

Also, the numbers are two years old at this point. A new compensation report should be coming out sometime this year. If you're planning on using this as a way to renegotiate your salary, it might benefit you to wait until the new report is out.
seaccs

Postby nickedemus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:15 pm

I didn't know this existed. Thank you for posting it!

If this is accurate, it makes me feel better because my salary is higher than the mean. :D

But it also means that my raise may not be so great after I get my license. :cry:

By the way, here is another source (which makes me feel worse):
https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes171011.htm
nickedemus

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION