ARE 5.0 Testing Opinions?

ARE 5.0 Testing Opinions?

Postby NathanaelCook » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 am

All, I have completed SPD, CDs, Schematics, and PPP on the ARE 4.0 system. I was curious as to anyone that has started the 5.0 testing and what their opinions/comparisons were on it. I really like the idea of having 1 test less but not sure if its worth it at the expense of having to wait forever for scores and the overlap of various sections for 1 5.0 test. Any thoughts?
NathanaelCook

Re: ARE 5.0 Testing Opinions?

Postby Sarcasmo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:39 am

I'll be taking my 3rd 5.0 exam in a couple weeks. Never took any 4.0, so can't speak to that. That said, 5.0 seems very straightforward -- very little memorization, and obviously no crazy vignettes -- in favor of a much more "concept application" approach.

You'd be doing the transisiton and taking only PDD and PPD tests in 5.0? The waiting period you mention as a downside would really no longer be a factor for you -- those two score reports are already out, and I think ALL division scores will be out first week of May.
As far as overlap -- that's really not the downside you've characterized. The growing strategy seem to be to study for both of those exams at once, and then take PPD and PDD one week or so apart.

Really depends upon your comfort level in 4.0, but I doubt you'd need to fear 5.0 -- with those previous passes under your belt you've proven you understand the material and can take tests well. 5.0 may very well be a new but quicker path to licensure for you.

Good Luck!
Sarcasmo

Re: ARE 5.0 Testing Opinions?

Postby gbalaka » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:05 am

To be honest....the Schematic Design exam from 4.0 didn't seem like much of an exam to me. I took that one last and it was a breeze - i actually enjoyed it...so in other words, for me, it was 6 exams to study for and then that extra one. Don't get me wrong - it wasn't easy, but it only required some practice in that archaic software - there's really nothing to "study" for that one.

So if you're trying to do 6 exams instead of 7.....they're both the same (in my opinion).

But do what you gotta do - whichever you're comfortable with.
gbalaka

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION