To Transition or Not to Transition.....

To Transition or Not to Transition.....

Postby trekkster » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:10 pm

THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!

Hey all!

I've reached that point where I see a fork in the road for the ARE. Like everyone else out there I am trying to figure out if I should transition to the 5.0 or not. I have passed CD, BCDS, SPD, PPP (in that order if that helps) and I have attempted SS but I have come close but no cigar yet. I just passed PPP last month.

I have these two options
1. Bust my ass and finish before June 2018 with SS, BD and SD ---> stick with the tried and true method. Ive never had a problem with vignettes, for me its the MC part of the exam I suffer with. Since I've tried SS already and think I can pull it off trying to pass 3 in 16 months seems doable. The plan here would be take SS, BS and SD in that order to maximize my conversion to 5.0 if I run out of time.

2. Transition and take PPD and PDD - For the most part I have studied the information on both these tests extensively already (with the exception of BS) so this could be easier simply since its less tests and I kind of know the info already, plus I just have to fight my rolling clock which I have all the time in the world for, I have just under 4 years left.

Wanted to see what the community thinks would be the best option for me. My gut says to stick with the 4.0 as long as I can. Cant hurt to get a second opinion.

Thanks!!!
trekkster

Re: To Transition or Not to Transition.....

Postby Coach » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:14 am

Yep. Go with your gut.
Coach
Site Admin

Postby sbyrktct » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:50 am

You've got over a year... finish in 4.0, definitely.
If you are good with the vignettes, as you say, SD will not take long... 2 weeks of study, max.
So, you've got 16 months to knock out two exams.
There are just too many unknowns in the 5.0 exams... utilize the collective knowledge of the forum on 4.0 and finish strong.
sbyrktct

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:36 am

I would think you'd want to stick with 4.0, especially if you're lucky enough to not have problems solving the vignettes.
SD is a breeze as long as you practice for maybe 2 weeks. I took a month to do that one, but you really don't need the whole month if you have time to practice everyday. (Make sure to post on the forum! People on here have sharp eyes and can catch loads!)
You've taken enough now that the tests overlap and some of the material will already be covered, and ideally, you can just review instead of learning it all from scratch. And it sounds like, from your passing record, you've already figured out how to test in 4.0... why chance having to learn that again in 5.0?
corbismyhomeboy

Postby gbalaka » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:04 am

I would say just stick with 4.0. You've already had a good experience with the vignettes. Just stick with it. Especially since SD is purely a vignette exam. I have that one left and i intentionally left it as the last one. So in my mind, it's really 6 exams and then a "fun" one with SD that only requires some practice and very little to study/memorize/stress over.
gbalaka

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:13 pm

gbalaka wrote:I would say just stick with 4.0. You've already had a good experience with the vignettes. Just stick with it. Especially since SD is purely a vignette exam. I have that one left and i intentionally left it as the last one. So in my mind, it's really 6 exams and then a "fun" one with SD that only requires some practice and very little to study/memorize/stress over.

gbalaka, I have SS left as my last one, and I'm really wishing I would've done SD last as a "fun" one!
corbismyhomeboy

Postby gbalaka » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:55 pm

corbismyhomeboy wrote:
gbalaka wrote:I would say just stick with 4.0. You've already had a good experience with the vignettes. Just stick with it. Especially since SD is purely a vignette exam. I have that one left and i intentionally left it as the last one. So in my mind, it's really 6 exams and then a "fun" one with SD that only requires some practice and very little to study/memorize/stress over.

gbalaka, I have SS left as my last one, and I'm really wishing I would've done SD last as a "fun" one!

Oh boy....SS as the last one.....i spent 4-5 months preparing for that one. Don't rush this one.

You will not understand all the concepts on the very first read....re-reading from different sources will help clarify things in the long run. There's a bunch of stuff you can watch on YouTube.
gbalaka

Postby arearcher » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Go with your gut. Better the devil you know then the devil you don't know.

I briefly thought about transitioning to 5.0. Some of my former classmates are doing it hoping it's easier and that they'll spend less time studying for fewer exams. I've read some posts on here arguing you could transition in a way to avoid some of the SS and BS scope. That concerns me. You can argue their effectiveness, but these exams are meant to gauge whether you are qualified to be a licensed architect. Figuring out how to get by with as little work as possible doesn't sit well with me.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I studied 4 weeks for SD and it was overkill. If I did it again I would spend 2 weeks of intense, time-consuming study or 3 weeks studying 2-3/hrs a day.

Do you have the 4.0 study material for SS and BS yet?
arearcher

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 am

gbalaka wrote:
corbismyhomeboy wrote:

Oh boy....SS as the last one.....i spent 4-5 months preparing for that one. Don't rush this one.

You will not understand all the concepts on the very first read....re-reading from different sources will help clarify things in the long run. There's a bunch of stuff you can watch on YouTube.

Thanks gbalaka! I'm taking my time. Starting with the ALS guide before moving on to the rest of the material, and beginning to go over Black Spectacles videos. Hoping to get some of the concepts down before getting into the Ballast/NALSA flashcards. And using the forum for guidance and feedback as always :)
corbismyhomeboy

Postby tmston2 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:38 pm

to OP, the real benefit is kinda behind you now, if you would have transition earlier:
• $100 gift card per exam
• added time to rolling colock
• (1) free exam
• depending on your transition 1-2 less exams than 4.0
if your company is reimbursing you
• technically last (2) exams were free and you gained $210 (because company reimburse you for (2) exams
tmston2

Postby trekkster » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:08 pm

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I am glad many of us are on the same page.

To answer your question arearcher.... I have all my materials. I have pretty much relied on Kaplan/Brightwood and Ballast for all my exams and that's what I have been sticking with. I have branched out using Designer Hacks and a handful of YouTube videos. I have family and friends in the construction industry so where the books have come short I have gone right to the professionals for guidance.
trekkster

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION