Which division first? ARE 5.0

Which division first? ARE 5.0

Postby ShadowVFX » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm looking into starting the ARE process after many years as an "intern" racking up hours. I'm now complete with all the IDP stuff and the only thing left to get a licensed is completing the ARE's. I'll be honest, I'm overwhelmed and really wish I could just say "!@#$ it" and walk away, but I've come this far and feel like I need to justify the ridiculous cost of my university degree by getting my license.

I'd really like to start off with the "easiest" test to get me motivated to keep going. My office has a lot of ARE 4.0 material, but nothing on ARE 5.0 yet. I'm also the only person currently under the 5.0 system, so I don't have a lot of advice to fall back on for recommendations. In the books I'm reading I keep seeing suggestions to begin with the Construction Documents and Services test. However, that was 4.0 and I'm not sure what (if any) this would be in ARE 5.0. Perhaps Project Development & Documentation?

The vast majority of my "career" up to this point has been as a drafter. Only recently (last 3 years) have I been given the chance to grow and do more as a project manager/job captain for TI jobs. That said, I think I could ace a Construction Documents test, but now that they've reworked the categories, I'm not sure which of these would be the best for me to take. Please give me some advice. Once I get a taste of success, I'm hoping I'll have enough motivation to continue on through the harder tests.
ShadowVFX

Re: Which division first? ARE 5.0

Postby Coach » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:02 pm

If you haven't opted in yet you should consider 4.0. If you do start with 4.0, you should take PPP and CDS first. Then PPP, or transition... or just finish 4.0.
Coach
Site Admin

Re: Which division first? ARE 5.0

Postby gbalaka » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:20 pm

ShadowVFX....the Construction Documents test has very little to do with the "construction documents" that you're thinking about. It's mostly about contract documents.

I personally started with CDS, then PPP, then SPD. They have quite a bit of overlapping information. If you want an "easy" exam, perhaps Schematic Design is a good start. I personally left that one as my "last" exam as it's only a Graphic Vignette (no multiple choice). It's not easy, but it does require a bit of practice prior to exam date. I just finished my 6th exam and i..am...burnt....out. Now i have Schametic Design left and it feels great!

I haven't taken any of the 5.0 exams, but i would assume that the study material is essentially the same. It's not going to be vastly different. Architecture is architecture and it's only the exam format that's changing. Content will remain the same.

I personally prefer the 4.0 Exam structure, but that's just me.

Best of luck on your journey. You can do it.
gbalaka

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION