Construction Attorney

Construction Attorney

Postby readytopass » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi Guys
I heard that before even starting a small firm one should get in touch with a construction attorney. So before I meet him, I want to make a list of things to discuss.
1) Business structure
2) Contract between O and A & between A and C
3) State filing forms and certifications
Anything that I am missing, please add to the list.
Also does anyone know if an LLC in NJ is eligible for NJ state projects?
Thanks in advance.
readytopass

Re: Construction Attorney

Postby volksnick » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:03 am

I took a construction law class in grad school and learned a whole lot about lien rights for contractors and pretty much anyone in the construction process. Things I would recommend are general contract review as well as establishing an attorney fee for his review of individual contracts that may arise (like government work or other scenarios where the client may be having an attorney review the contract). You might also discuss liabilities and insurance coverage needs.

I've noticed a trend of people not wanting to pay architects at our firm, so I would do everything to make your contract bulletproof for payment.
volksnick

Postby jokermtb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:46 pm

I've been running my own firm for 5 years and never once talked to a construction attorney.
jokermtb

Postby BayPointArchitect » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:42 pm

I have been doing architecture for 20 years and I knew that the odds of getting deep into litigation was once every twenty years.
Now I am deep in attorney fees while trying to get my engineers paid via construction lien against the property.
The property owner is going to file suit against the contractor for delayed construction and liquidated damages.
The contractor is then going to file suit against me for not passing on some missing information to the engineers so that they could then finish their job according to schedule.
I have no idea what that information is. I can't wait to find out in court.
Did I forget to mention that I have a bullet-proof contract? Did I mention that I have liability insurance?
Will keep you posted on how it all works out after I lose my house and car.
Do not do any work that involves a metal building salesman. All they care about is getting a property owner to sign a purchase order and pay for materials.
After that, they will say and do anything to avoid responsibility for their errors.
BayPointArchitect

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION