Should I Switch to ARE5.0?

Should I Switch to ARE5.0?

Postby seriousb » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:11 pm

The AREs have been a tough road for me. I work full time, am an only parent, and I have an 80 minute commute to and from work each day. I just failed Structures 4.0 for the second time. I'm really struggling to have the energy to study for this one and commit it to memory before my test. It might be the math, I'm not sure. I purchased the online video series. it was OK, and greuling. If I want to take this exam again, I will need to apply for an extension on my rolling clock. I'm pretty confident that will be a non-issue.

My question - Is it worth it to attempt to switch platforms and put myself in a situation where I now have 2 exams to take? I'm very lost. I don't have anyone around me who is taking AREs. Any comments are appreciated
seriousb

Re: Should I Switch to ARE5.0?

Postby vrcat25 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Depends on which tests you have left. If i were you, I'd stick with 4.0. I'm assuming when you said online you're referring to the Thaddeus seminars? Something is not adding up though. You said that you have to apply for an extension to your rolling clock? The only tests that drop off for the 5 year rolling clock are the tests you took 5 years ago. In order for us to help you, we really need to know more about which tests you took and when. There's still structures with 5.0 and at least you have a decent system working to have passed at least 3 tests in 4.0. I'd stick with 4.0 or you will have to relearn how to take these tests. Remember that the best way to prepare for these tests is to take them and with 5.0, you would be starting this process all over again. You'd still have the rolling clock working against you so that shouldn't be a factor in your decision. Whatever you decide, keep in touch and good luck!
vrcat25

Postby nickedemus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:57 am

seriousb wrote:The AREs have been a tough road for me. I work full time, am an only parent, and I have an 80 minute commute to and from work each day. I just failed Structures 4.0 for the second time. I'm really struggling to have the energy to study for this one and commit it to memory before my test. It might be the math, I'm not sure. I purchased the online video series. it was OK, and greuling. If I want to take this exam again, I will need to apply for an extension on my rolling clock. I'm pretty confident that will be a non-issue.

My question - Is it worth it to attempt to switch platforms and put myself in a situation where I now have 2 exams to take? I'm very lost. I don't have anyone around me who is taking AREs. Any comments are appreciated

Is Structures the only test that you have left?

If so, look at it this way: you have until June 30, 2018 to pass it. You have to wait 2 months before you are eligible to retake a failed exam. That means between then and now, you can retake the test about 6 more times.

Under these circumstances, I would stick with 4.0. Especially if applying for the extension is a non-issue! Just keep at it. ONE of these times, you're bound to pass!
nickedemus

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:32 am

If you read he says, if he switches he will only have 2 tests to take. I'm going to assume that he passed the big 3 (cds, ppp and spd) and has 4 tests left if he stays with 4.0. I'd still stick with 4.0.
vrcat25

Postby nickedemus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:05 am

vrcat25 wrote:If you read he says, if he switches he will only have 2 tests to take. I'm going to assume that he passed the big 3 (cds, ppp and spd) and has 4 tests left if he stays with 4.0. I'd still stick with 4.0.

There is not enough information in his/her statement for me to make that assumption.
nickedemus

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:11 am

nickedemus wrote:
vrcat25 wrote:If you read he says, if he switches he will only have 2 tests to take. I'm going to assume that he passed the big 3 (cds, ppp and spd) and has 4 tests left if he stays with 4.0. I'd still stick with 4.0.

There is not enough information in his/her statement for me to make that assumption.

I know what you mean. Wasn't trying to be a smart aleck, something just isn't adding up in his/her statement. The first time i read it, i thought the same as you, but after looking closer she/he says " Is it worth it to attempt to switch platforms and put myself in a situation where I now have 2 exams to take?" so i'm assuming that she/he passed CDS, PPP, and SPD. I still can't understand why an extension on rolling clock would be needed unless a previous test was taken 5 years ago...

We need more information to be able to help seriousb. Can you elaborate?
vrcat25

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION