Test Result Anxiety

Test Result Anxiety

Postby hopefularch2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:26 pm

I know this may seem random or strange to some-

But does anyone have any suggestions to deal with the post test anxiety that comes between taking an exam and waiting for results?
It may seem minor, but I find it extremely hard to concentrate and running through things on repeat in my mind.

Tips to take your mind off of it and distract yourself...Or if you have positive-thinking practices...Would love to hear them!
hopefularch2

Re: Test Result Anxiety

Postby ekelsey15 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:28 am

I always expect the worst. My first test I failed. I thought I killed it. So when I got that fail it ruined my day and I was even on vacation. So now I plan for the worst so I am not looking forward to opening it as much. Then once it gets there and I steel myself enough I open it. So far it has worked for me.
ekelsey15

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:14 am

hopefularch2 wrote:I know this may seem random or strange to some-

But does anyone have any suggestions to deal with the post test anxiety that comes between taking an exam and waiting for results?
It may seem minor, but I find it extremely hard to concentrate and running through things on repeat in my mind.

Tips to take your mind off of it and distract yourself...Or if you have positive-thinking practices...Would love to hear them!

During the test, I number on my scratch paper and go through the questions, marking on my paper ones I feel confidently I answered correctly, not so confident ones, and ones I had no clue about. The percentage of right vs. wrong helps me feel better when I walk out instead of spending a week dwelling on the few that really bugged me that I couldn't figure out. Post-exam, I often look up the answers the questions that I was unsure about. Skimming/leafing through some of my study materials for about an hour or two after my exam (often with my favorite ice cream in hand) reassures me that I remembered as much as I could, and that I probably got a lot more right than I'm remembering. It often helps me ease my brain into some more mindless activity like catching up on a favorite tv show that I missed because exam prep took up my free time.

Also remembering that worrying about the exam after you take it has no affect on whether you passed or failed. Your fate was sealed when you finished the test! Hope that helps :)
corbismyhomeboy

Postby sbyrktct » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:14 am

After you leave the exam room, is there anything you can do to make your score better? Nope. Let it go.
The night after your exam, go grab a beer with a friend who is a good listener. Complain about the exam as much as you want. Tell the bartender how much it sucked.
The next morning, realize that you did your best and it's out of your hands. You are now stress-free. Get back to work and gear up for you next exam.
It's a slog, but it's your life now. Embrace it.
sbyrktct

Postby ekelsey15 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:26 am

The night after your exam, go grab a beer with a friend who is a good listener. Complain about the exam as much as you want. Tell the bartender how much it sucked.

Completely agree. My wife does not really understand what these tests are like or how much the software sucks. But she is in nursing and has to take tests that suck just as bad if not worse. So she is my go to person to vent. It helps.
ekelsey15

Postby cloudyy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:44 am

So when I got that fail it ruined my day and I was even on vacation.

Oh man have I been there.

Set your expectations low, then lower them some more. When you leave, what's done is done anyway. Complaining/venting is the best solution! Ha! Annoying to others, but kind of true. Just come here, misery loves company.
cloudyy

Postby rwwon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:21 pm

I got to the point where I wouldn't be anxious about test results until the night before I knew they would be issued. I would write down post-test notes in case I needed to re-take it, but that's it. The rest is out of your control.

As a general tip, I've learned over time that you can't sit and stew in your anxiety on a given issue, but you also can't just ignore it - your mind likes to reconcile things, so let it reconcile itself. Sit and think through what is bothering you, then have an honest conversation about the reality of what you are stressing over, the worst that could happen, and how you will overcome it, all while reinforcing the fact that it hasn't happened yet and you will react when the time comes. Once you've done that, you're done. Then when your mind tries to stress out over it, you tell yourself you've already thought through it and you know how you will handle it so you don't need to relive it.

If you can master this you are going to save your health, because lets face it: there are a million things to stress about as an architect.
rwwon

Postby greek22 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:59 am

hopefularch2 wrote:I know this may seem random or strange to some-

I thought I was the only one going through this. Sometimes the week of waiting for results brings me more anxiety then the test itself. Even though, I've taken these exams so many times, it still gets to me. I don't even know what to do with my time while I wait but like many people said here, the only thing you can do is try to be positive. I try to award myself after every exam by going out to dinner with friends or family the night I take an exam. Even though I don't know what the results are, I know I worked hard and I'm proud of myself for even trying. I also try to do things that I put "on hold" while studying to distract myself.
greek22

Postby hopefularch2 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:35 pm

Thank you all so much for the helpful feedback!

I think that expecting the worst is the way to go...
And along with that, continuing to set a study schedule helps me feel as though progress is continuing whether pass or not.
(I also try hard to only tell close people in the office prior to exam day to limit too many "how did it go" questions...
hopefularch2

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION