Moonlighting

Moonlighting

Postby glasska » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Hoping a few architects who are beyond the ARE process might check in here.

I have been licensed about a year and a half and have recently starting looking into doing some residential design on the side (I work full time at a large firm that works mostly on commercial/institutional work). Eventually I would like to be working in residential, perhaps for myself. I am thinking to start it would be providing design direction for interior renovations (maybe some sketchup views to help with decision-making) and preparing permit-drawings (likely in Revit which is how I usually work). I have a connection to a local residential contractor who recently asked if he could recommend me to some of his clients to help them make design decisions.

I am wondering if any of you have made the transition from working for a firm to working for yourself, or even just done some moonlighting as a side hustle. For interior reno work and permit drawings, do you need any insurance or is that on the contractor? Are there any deals for getting autodesk software (I do not want to use my firm's resources for this... I want to stay legal and ethical). What are your thoughts? Any advice?
glasska

Re: Moonlighting

Postby Neves » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:59 am

I have not made this transition yet so I would love to hear what someone has to say who has.

However, the cheapest route for AutoCAD would be the LT option you can do Revit LT $65.00 month to month or $505.00 for the year. I also recently received advertisement postcard in the mail for customized insurance for architects from http://www.hiscox.com/architect quoting policies starting as low as $22.50/mo I just held onto it as an option to look into but I'm not at that stage yet.
Neves

Postby pgehrke » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:16 am

If you're using your license to submit drawings and aren't an employee of the general contractor, I would think you need your own insurance. GCs are pretty good at catching mistakes and asking questions, but they're not bulletproof and you're responsible for your own negligence. Get your own insurance.

Do you have a company name and employer identification number or how do you plan on tracking income for taxes?
pgehrke

Postby Quigaboo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:28 am

I have worked in an office for 15 years now and have always done side work. I only got licensed 2 years ago and since then my side work has really grown into a full time position. I have be slowly transitioning out on my own completely. We as architects are generally not required to maintain insurance but there is always a risk when not having coverage regardless of what type of work you are doing.
Quigaboo

Postby pgehrke » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Quigaboo wrote:I have worked in an office for 15 years now and have always done side work. I only got licensed 2 years ago and since then my side work has really grown into a full time position. I have be slowly transitioning out on my own completely. We as architects are generally not required to maintain insurance but there is always a risk when not having coverage regardless of what type of work you are doing.

Very true, it's your prerogative. I personally would get insurance, but that's completely up to you...
pgehrke

Postby rwwon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:08 pm

One interesting conversation in our office is the level of expectation and liability that comes when your draw up house plans as a drafter, vs. licensed design professional (architect). In my state, as it is in a lot of states, you are not required to be an architect to do a single family home (you can do up to a triplex in my state without a license). So there is that.

I've been doing a house plans on the side. Its much more informal without an AIA contract, Spec. book, etc, so I've been putting a lot of general document use notes and pre-agreed terms into my drawings. I'm also not just taking on anyone, I've always been doing plans for friends so theres that.

Not to high-jack the conversation, but I am curious about what people do for engineered plans. My state only requires a structural engineer for items that fall outside of the IRC. Therefore, if you are well versed with the prescriptive methods of the code, you can do that portion yourself and save/make more money on the fee. Curious if some of you have learned that stuff. I can do footing and wall sizing and detailing, but I haven't quite gotten my head wrapped around the braced framing methods, even the simple APA method.
rwwon

Postby fpr4 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:02 pm

I wouldn't do work under my own shingle without professional liability, which is probably going to be fairly cost prohibitive. You may try to design a building with the intent that you aren't doing it as a licensed professional and don't assume the liability, but good luck getting a court to make that distinction. Obviously your firm isn't going to cover you under prof liabiltiy on side work.
fpr4

Postby alexwilkosz24 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:30 am

If it were me, I also would look into doing any of that work under an LLC you set up for yourself.
alexwilkosz24

Postby Kiedys.Zdam. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Interesting part about Moonlighting is how many offices allow for that. I think I was on two extreme sides of the fence.
I arranged a kind of untypical setting that I had my friend architect's seal in my bag and - with his approval - used it whenever I needed it. He was my employer and a person I will always respect. Sometimes he wanted me to deal with clients he wasn't too patient with on my own. :)
After receiving my own license I partially was, and hoped to move more towards being on my own as I was within the environment where I could have gotten some work. The opportunities are still popping up here and there. However, I was offered a job which I couldn't turn down, and where I was told immediately "no moonlighting" due to insurance compliance. That was interesting, but I somehow agreed to it. Still never got to checking on how insurance defines it. Anyways, so far so good, no regrets.
When I was checking the insurance options, Hilcox was the way to go.
LLC is a must.
Kiedys.Zdam.

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Kiedys.Zdam. wrote:I arranged a kind of untypical setting that I had my friend architect's seal in my bag and - with his approval used it whenever I needed it.

That's actually illegal as hell Kiedys. The only way you're allowed to use another's seal is if they are reviewing and overseeing the work you are sealing. Thanks for being honest though.
vrcat25

Postby Kiedys.Zdam. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:56 pm

vrcat25 wrote:
Kiedys.Zdam. wrote:I arranged a kind of untypical setting that I had my friend architect's seal in my bag and - with his approval used it whenever I needed it.

That's actually illegal as hell Kiedys. The only way you're allowed to use another's seal is if they are reviewing and overseeing the work you are sealing. Thanks for being honest though.

Wow you are really fast to jump the gun. Get some life out there! Feels like I didn't finish typing and your post already popped. Stop using words illegal when you're trying to type something about me, as this doesn't work that way. Maybe they were reviewing and overseeing and approving and were as ethical as you could be to make vrcat25 on arecoach to sleep calmly. I will make sure I will not respond to your next post so go ahead bring another pointless monolog. It is so good to have someone like you to make sure forum is kept in neat order....no.
Do you moonlight?
Kiedys.Zdam.

Postby chrisschumm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Used to, but stopped when I started the are's
chrisschumm

Postby vrcat25 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:05 pm

If you're going to insult somebody, at least take the time to slow down and use spellcheck and half way proper English. I'm not even sure what to make from this statement " Stop using words illegal when you're trying to type something about me, as this doesn't work that way." Are you even in America?? How does the law not apply?? You suggested that you were rubber stamping drawings while moonlighting right? Did your boss oversee the project you were stamping because it sure doesn't sound like after reading your statement TWICE? I'm going to assume that i have my answer since you became so VERY defensive. Can your ego not allow you to see that I was just trying to point out to you and others that may not know that if you are going to use somebody elses stamp, they must oversee the project and not just "approve" it. Forgive me for trying to save you or anybody else from a lawsuit. I actually know a couple of unlicensed architects that did that and it caused one hell of a mess. Forgive me for "jumping the gun" and answering so quick. I guess i'll go get a life and thank you for not responding to my pointless monologue (insert sarcasm here)... The point was to save your butt and any others who moonlight from a very serious lawsuit. SORRY if i'm mistaken and your boss actually oversaw the project and followed the law almighty Kiedys.Zdam. :roll:

Yes, I do moonlight, but when I use another architects stamp I make sure that he has been overseeing the project, for his sake and mine. Pardon me for caring.

As for implying that I have no life, i'd rather be studying for my tests than hanging at the club on a friday night.... So sad right?
vrcat25

Postby standard » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:02 pm

It's not difficult to reseach and find out why an employer would take issue with moonlighting. It has the potential to put the employer at risk. I see why vrcat is alarmed by Kiedys post. Definitely sounded a little shady to me. And architects (and future architects) don't have lives. If we wanted "lives" we'd all be marketing managers. (That's a joke - marketing people drive me crazy.)
standard

Postby Kiedys.Zdam. » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 pm

To all concerned by my previous statement, it was carefully checked and blessed by involved parties and conducted legally, as originally stated by "approved" and overturned by careless reader. The point was how differently the moonlighting can be seen by employers. Now go to study.
Kiedys.Zdam.

Postby standard » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Just use the words "Responsible Control" next time.
standard

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION