Alternative Strategic Approach

Alternative Strategic Approach

Postby tdmiller » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Hey there,

Brand new to the forum, this is my first post so I apologize for any improper formatting, etc.. I've just begun with my ARE's, and I decided to follow NCARB's published "strategic approach" to minimize the number of exams. For those unfamiliar, the strategic approach can be found here: http://www.ncarb.org/ARE/ARE5/ARE5-CreditModel.aspx

NCARB seems to imply that it's the only strategic approach to only take five exams total, rather than seven in 4.0 or six in 5.0. The process goes something like this (as NCARB describes it):

- 4.0: CDS
- 4.0: PPP
- 4.0: SPD
--transition--
- 5.0: PPD
- 5.0: PDD

However, looking at the Credit Model, it seems to me there is an alternative approach that would allow you to transition out of 4.0 sooner while still only taking five exams:

- 4.0: CDS
- 4.0: PPP
--transition--
- 5.0: PPD
- 5.0: PDD
- 5.0: PA

I've attached the Credit Model to show what I'm getting at. If I'm doing this right, it should show up here:

Alternative Strategic Approach.pdf

Are there any issues with this approach? Is there much info out regarding the PA exam at this point? I'm just curious why I've never seen anyone mention or suggest this approach, across any of the various ARE resources I tend to frequent.

Any input or thoughts would be much appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tdmiller

Re: Alternative Strategic Approach

Postby rwwon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Seems legit. I hadn't seen that option before. I'd suggest getting on the ARE 4.0 Google + forum and post it there. An NCARB moderator can probably confirm that path.

As for transition, that seems to come down to the individual. Still not a lot of info coming out on 5.0, but it is trickling in. The biggest thing you have going for you with 4.0 is the amount of information out there - it is a known quantity, especially the vignettes - they have walkthrough guides for those, but some people abhor vignettes and are hoping for something different and better with 5.0. I'll be curious to see what the test averages are since they tend to be low with each new release. Either path, it looks like you need to take a minimum of CDS or PPP - I'd dive in and take one of those and see how you feel about it going forward.
rwwon

Postby little12 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Seems like it would work. I'd def want to get that confirmed with someone if I were you though...if you want to go that route.

For me, I think the question is more why would you? There is alot to be said for all of the resources and knowns about the 4.0. That's not to say that all that makes them easy, but at least you have resources. The one that sucks the most and is the biggest WTF, in my opinion, is PPP...and you'd have to take it anyway.
little12

Postby are_cruiser » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:59 pm

This means that you can basically trade Site Planning & Design in v4 for Programming & Analysis in v5.

The questions is then which one of these is easier? Any v5 takers with experience?
are_cruiser

Postby tdmiller » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 pm

Hey, just a quick update for the handful of you guys that replied. I called NCARB, and they confirmed that this is a valid approach. Which is not to say it's preferable. As rwwon and little12 said, there's just way more material available for SPD. It's impossible to know at this point which would be easier, because there's virtually no information (study materials, pass rates, etc) available for PA.

At this point, I'm pretty committed to taking SPD in 4.0 before transitioning. I've passed CDS, currently studying for PPP, and it makes sense to me to just clean up with SPD and then transition. I've also heard people mention that there's so much overlap between PPP and SPD that I have been considering studying for them concurrently. Maybe that's a question for the G+ forum.

Anyway, just wanted to confirm that NCARB validated this alternative approach, which I still haven't seen mentioned anywhere. I threw it out to Michael Riscica at YA, and the folks at AEP, and neither had heard of this alternative. Once more study materials are developed and released, it may start to look more desirable for some candidates. Personally, I'm going SPD.
tdmiller

Postby jspruit » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:02 pm

This is an approach I''ve just been considering as well. I've passed CDS and PPP in that order and was currently studying for SPD 4.0 with the thinking of transitioning to 5.0 for PPD and PDD. Good to hear that NCARB has confirmed that it could be done either way.
As I see it, the downsides would be that the 4.0 SPD exam has reliable published materials and the P&A 5.0 exam is essentially a combination of SPD and PPP so you could have to broaden your study approach.
The upsides are that you could avoid the SPD vignettes alltogether in 5.0 and if you take the exam before the end of Feb. 2017 then you are guaranteed the early taker incentives and have a good insight into the 5.0 exam setup for the PPD and PDD exams moving forward.
I'd be interested to hear others thoughts about this strategy though as well.
jspruit

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION