Building Systems Close Call FAIL

Building Systems Close Call FAIL

Postby homer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:07 am

Question to all.
I received a failing score report this morning which indicated I received a LEVEL 1 on each section of the multiple choice and a LEVEL 2 on the vignette.

On the vignette, I only recall three potentially risky judgement calls:
1. Creating a flex duct connection with a bend (90 degree)
2. Stretching one flex duct to 11'
3. Accent lighting may be spaced slightly too far apart ( I don't remember the dimension)

Should I question this?
Is there a method to challenge the results?

Please advise.

Thank you.
homer

Re: Building Systems Close Call FAIL

Postby corbismyhomeboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:13 pm

First off, that sucks that you passed all of the MC and failed the vignette!

Have you watched the NCARB vignette video where it talks about how they grade the vignette? I think the flex duct stretching too long may be a major error, if I'm remembering correctly.

I think you can question it, but I've never seen anyone get their results overturned.
corbismyhomeboy

Postby Sparky83 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Yes, you can challenge a fail. It's expensive, and you pay win or lose. If you win, your state can use that pass to issue your license. NCARB will not recognize an overturned grade, so certification (if that matters) will not be possible. This is how NCARB attempts to sound "fair", but it's a farce. It's never worth it. Just plan on a retake, pass the exam and never look back.
Sparky83

Postby nickedemus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:39 pm

homer wrote:1. Creating a flex duct connection with a bend (90 degree)
2. Stretching one flex duct to 11'
3. Accent lighting may be spaced slightly too far apart ( I don't remember the dimension)

I have heard in at least two places that #1 and #2 are both no-nos, so I think the fail is (unfortunately) justified.

Sorry to hear about the fail; I know how frustrating that is. I failed SPD on account of an error on my site planning vignette, but received Level 1 passes on the MC and grading vignettes! It really sucked to have to redo EVERYTHING and risk failing in an area that I'd already passed. But I did it, and so will you!
nickedemus

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION