Sealing of AIA documents - Use of seal question...

Sealing of AIA documents - Use of seal question...

Postby AggieArchitect04 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:58 pm

I recently became licensed (2015) and have since used my seal sparingly and in a very deliberate manner.

I also, even more recently took a new job and my new boss is insisting that the AIA G704 Certificate of Substantial Completion form be sealed in addition to being signed. He is an architect as well and has signed and sealed these in the past. He is literally THE ONLY ARCHITECT I have seen do this. I have never seen anyone else ever seal the Certificate of Substantial Completion.

I'm in Texas and this is what the state mandates in terms of use of seal:
http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/re ... h=1&rl=103

My interpretation is that unless it the G704 and similar AIA forms are contract documents and that sealing them is unnecessary. The only thing needing to be signed would be attached technical drawings or specifications.
The AIA is of course of no help claiming that they cannot give legal advice... :roll:

Posting the question here to hopefully get some feedback and a consensus. I want to make my new boss happy obviously, but am not willing to get in trouble with my state board through a "use of seal" disciplinary action claim either.

Thoughts?
AggieArchitect04

Re: Sealing of AIA documents - Use of seal question...

Postby Neves » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:31 am

I've never seen that done before either but that doesn't mean that's the case. I also interpret the state mandate the same way, however, I also see how "documents issued for purposes other than regulatory approval" can be construed to include the document.

Since you are concerned with how the state board would interpret it maybe try contacting them and see if they will give you feedback on it.
Neves

Return to GENERAL DISCUSSION